Thinking about to cancel my Foundation AWD order

Steelrebels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2020 Model X
Country flag
I wanted to share some thoughts that have been running through my mind lately regarding my Cybertruck Foundation order. While I was initially thrilled to be part of the exclusive club, I've started to reconsider my decision due to a few factors that have raised some concerns.

Firstly, the price of the Cybertruck Foundation edition is no small sum. As excited as I am about the innovative design and cutting-edge technology, the reality of the hefty price tag has begun to sink in. Tesla's promise of exclusivity with the "limited" Cybertruck Foundation has been somewhat challenged by the numerous invites being sent out, making me question just how exclusive this edition truly is. Another concern is the timeline for certain features. The included FSD and Autopilot features might take a considerable amount of time before they become available. Also, the charging curve not being as impressive as expected.

Considering these factors, I'm contemplating canceling my Cybertruck Foundation order. My main concern lies in the $1000 non-refundable deposit I made for the order. Has anyone successfully canceled their Cybertruck Foundation order and managed to get the $1000 deposit refunded while retaining their original reservation for the standard Cybertruck?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Update:
Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and insights on my post. Upon contacting Tesla, I confirmed that canceling my Cybertruck Foundation order would result in the forfeiture of the $1000 non-refundable deposit, and I would lose my place in the reservation queue. So, I have decided to wait and see how things unfold. Canceling at this point seems futile.

There is a small hope that Tesla might allow the transfer of the deposit to another vehicle later on if they face production challenges. Alternatively, I'm considering the option of proceeding with the purchase of the Cybertruck Foundation edition and potentially selling it after a year. Given the potential low production numbers in the first year, it might minimize the depreciation, and I would still be able to keep the Powershare equipment that comes with the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ATXHOCKEYGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y AWD, 2024 Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
I wanted to share some thoughts that have been running through my mind lately regarding my Cybertruck Foundation order. While I was initially thrilled to be part of the exclusive club, I've started to reconsider my decision due to a few factors that have raised some concerns.

Firstly, the price of the Cybertruck Foundation edition is no small sum. As excited as I am about the innovative design and cutting-edge technology, the reality of the hefty price tag has begun to sink in. Tesla's promise of exclusivity with the "limited" Cybertruck Foundation has been somewhat challenged by the numerous invites being sent out, making me question just how exclusive this edition truly is. Another concern is the timeline for certain features. The included FSD and Autopilot features might take a considerable amount of time before they become available. Also, the charging curve not being as impressive as expected.

Considering these factors, I'm contemplating canceling my Cybertruck Foundation order. My main concern lies in the $1000 non-refundable deposit I made for the order. Has anyone successfully canceled their Cybertruck Foundation order and managed to get the $1000 deposit refunded while retaining their original reservation for the standard Cybertruck?

Sounds like you should bail regardless if price is the issue.

I don't understand how the "limited" FS would be value in any form or fashion. Let's say it was limited to 1000 and they sold out in the Dec waves, with deliveries all taken place in Jan-Mar 2024. Jan 1st they open standard orders on AWD/Cyberbeast at a lower price point (plus tax incentive) everyone that put down for a FS would instantly and before delivery lose a ton of value. So the fact that there will be more people with the "limited" doesn't equate to anything bad in my eyes.

I ordered Dec 8th, so that I could get it ASAP. That is the value I don't care about numbers. Its like a fast pass at an amusement park, I pay to skip all the regular people and I don't care how many of the fast passes the park sells.

FSD and Autopilot highly overrated. I paid for them on both my 2018 M3P and 2020 MYP. I actually love driving the car so never use them, other than when friends get in the car and ask can it do it. To me it is way more taxing to have to monitor the crappy phantom braking that happens under its control. And driving the Cybertruck is going to be that much more fun.

May not be a popular opinion but that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Nabilriaz69

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like you should bail regardless if price is the issue.

I don't understand how the "limited" FS would be value in any form or fashion. Let's say it was limited to 1000 and they sold out in the Dec waves, with deliveries all taken place in Jan-Mar 2024. Jan 1st they open standard orders on AWD/Cyberbeast at a lower price point (plus tax incentive) everyone that put down for a FS would instantly and before delivery lose a ton of value. So the fact that there will be more people with the "limited" doesn't equate to anything bad in my eyes.

I ordered Dec 8th, so that I could get it ASA. That is the value I don't care about numbers. Its like a fast pass at an amusement park, I pay to skip all the regular people and I don't care how many of the fast passes the park sells.

FSD and Autopilot highly overrated. I paid for them on both my 2018 M3P and 2020 MYP. I actually love driving the car so never use them, other than when friends get in the car and ask can it do it. To me it is way more taxing to have to monitor the crappy phantom braking that happens under its control. And driving the Cybertruck is going to be that much more fun.

May not be a popular opinion but that's how I see it.
I agree with you FSD ha no point I got is m3 2018 only used twice , when I bought model x only purchase EAP.
To my opinion FSD is very slow , and paying attention for every 30 seconds is better to drive the car by yourself.

SanJoseNinjya

First Name
mikio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
i have been thinking the same. they still say "limited" but obviously its not limited at all. I paid $100+250 refundable deposit, no issue there, but my question is if I could keep my original reservation or not. I got $5K FSD reservation with it, so do not want to miss it. any idea?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I agree with you FSD ha no point I got is m3 2018 only used twice , when I bought model x only purchase EAP.
To my opinion FSD is very slow , and paying attention for every 30 seconds is better to drive the car by yourself.
TO each their own. I use it just about all the time. My wife does in her Model Y as well. It's pretty awesome. It's performing quite well, but sure, there are some issues. After all it is Beta.

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, M3P, MY, MS Plaid, i7, CT day 1 FS ordered
Occupation
Marine
Country flag

What cutting edge tech?

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
Yay! One step closer ...

Okay.

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
I vaguely remember a thread a week or so ago from someone who cancelled their FS and their entire reservation was cancelled. They had to go to the back of the line if they wanted to reserve again.

Anyone else remember this or am I smoking crack? 😂

George Costanza

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Latex Salesman, Vandelay Industries
I vaguely remember a thread a week or so ago from someone who cancelled their FS and their entire reservation was cancelled. They had to go to the back of the line if they wanted to reserve again.

Anyone else remember this or am I smoking crack? 😂

Why does it have to be either-or? Yes, to the first -- that person did lose the deposit and reservation.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

All valid thoughts. Your money is your money and I'm assuming that it doesn't come for free.

The price of your Model X wasn't a small sum maybe even a greater one. I'm assuming that you are happy with it.

I don't see where "numerous" invited have been sent out. I'm pretty sure that for every order, there's a hundred people on the forum still waiting. If you assume that only a million cars will be sold, 10,000 Foundation vehicles is only 1%. How many Foundations are there? Will there be? Who knows. This site has less than 700 listed so far.

The FSD beta will be available, probably in less then a few months, I've got it on my Model 3 and my Model Y. My wife won't drive her car without it. She got a strike and was panicking that she may lose it! It does take time to trust the car and to learn what it can and can't do. But on a 2400 mile trip last month, it was invaluable. We were in areas that we weren't familiar with and there were a couple of times when my wife was actually driving that she was getting confused, she turned the autopilot on and the car easily took us through some turns to our destination. At night and/or when it's rainy, she trusts it more than she trusts herself.
But as the documents say, it can do the darndest things at the worse times. But we are accident free so far.

Of course, there's the other side. What happens when you see one on the road and know it could have been you?

It's going to be less efficient than the X, definitely less efficient than the 3. It's big, garage space can be an issue. It will take a little longer to charge on road trips (it's less efficient).

And in California it , at least for a while, not be just another Tesla on the road.

OP
OP

Steelrebels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2020 Model X
Country flag
It doesn’t hurt to ask for a refund or perhaps a credit towards a non-FS CT or another Tesla vehicle. Let us know the outcome should you choose to try and get a refund.
I spoke with Tesla, and they informed me that canceling now would result in losing both the deposit and the reservation.
They mentioned that more information about the delivery date should be available by the end of this month.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
i have been thinking the same. they still say "limited" but obviously its not limited at all. I paid $100+250 refundable deposit, no issue there, but my question is if I could keep my original reservation or not. I got $5K FSD reservation with it, so do not want to miss it. any idea?
No one reserving a Cybertruck has a $5k option for FSD. $7K is the lowest. I am guessing that you have 2 reservations, because if you only have one then it is either $100, or $250, but not both. It ‘is’ a limited edition if they say it is, but who cares? You either want the option to get one now or you don’t.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I spoke with Tesla, and they informed me that canceling now would result in losing both the deposit and the reservation.
They mentioned that more information about the delivery date should be available by the end of this month.
Sad to hear this. I am going to pull the plug on the FS but I would keep the reservation for the normal AWD and see if something improves on the range performance and home link and the charging speed. Sounds like that will not be an option for me. Ah well better to lose a few hundred than to get stuck with a $100k vehicle that will not meet my needs.
I will call them in the am and see if I get a different answer.
Sponsored