DannyT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
the problem here is that Rivian is almost ready and GM and Ford will be before Tesla. people in need of a truck and still puzzled about CT's appearance will go for another brand at this point. this is no good news for us Tesla shareholders. As a future CT owner, however, I am ok with any delay that makes CT better.
Ford is ALREADY there imo.
But Tesla would have to be nuts no to compete with it and they have a number of points counting in their favor. In its current form, the Cybertruck it is certainly distinguishes itself from, say the F-150, on several points.

To name just a few of them.

Low maintenance costs.
Low operating costs.
Reasonable purchase price.
Pretty solid equipment that no one is really building right now.
Potential for very good torque.

That's something that's very attractive to pick-up buyers.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm semi-agnostic regarding batteries. The proven older 28xx are likely good enough for me.

What I care more about, re Fremont versus Austin, is:
* Paint quality and
* Dual front & back mega-castings.
* Overall fit and finish (re a new production line).

Has anyone heard anything about the paint quality expected from Giga Austin? As soon as they start taking orders from Giga Austin I will jump in line (and then relax a bit until the Cybertruck starts getting made). I do not like the idea of refusing delivery until the features I want be one available.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Has anyone heard anything about the paint quality expected from Giga Austin? As soon as they start taking orders from Giga Austin I will jump in line (and then relax a bit until the Cybertruck starts getting made). I do not like the idea of refusing delivery until the features I want be one available.
So far there are zero complaints about the paint at the Tera Texas factory in Austin. It has a flawless track record... pristine.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The delay doesn't concern me as much as how many they can produce in a year. My reservation is in the 600000's and I knew it would be 3-5 years out before they contact me. However, if Tesla has newer, grander plans to build half a million CTs per year then they may be calling me in 3-4 years.
I think Four 8100 casting machines in Austin would be a big clue to Tesla production ambitions.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The delay doesn't concern me as much as how many they can produce in a year. My reservation is in the 600000's and I knew it would be 3-5 years out before they contact me. However, if Tesla has newer, grander plans to build half a million CTs per year then they may be calling me in 3-4 years.
I think Four 8100 casting machines in Austin would be a big clue to Tesla production ambitions.
I was hoping the delay might give Tesla more time to hit the ground running so to speak, but recently Musk said maybe no? In some recent comments Musk suggested "volume production" isn't likely until late 2023.

As usual we're all left wondering what phrases like volume production means. Does volume production mean 1000 units per week? Or does he mean early production will be in the hundreds or low thousands per week slowly scaling up to 5000 per week? Does he even know at this point?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A thousand a week is probably the first, yes.

Thirteen weeks in a quarter, they won't release until they can make 1k/week at least.

We also don't know what hiccups the ramp will have.

But I'd say:
QuarterOutputTotal
1st13k13k
2nd26k39k
3rd39k78k
4th52k130k
5th65k175k
I think we had this convo already...

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A thousand a week is probably the first, yes.

I think we had this convo already...

-Crissa
We did. I made my own tables ;)

I was just a little concerned about the phrase "volume production". "Full capacity" is a phrase I understand. "Not up to volume production by EOY" might be read any number of ways.

I'm sure as we get deeper into next year clarity will increase.

Considering pre orders and the fact that preorders seem to be increasing over time even with the delay, maybe peak production will creep up over 5k units per week.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Private landowners who own forested land could be given tax incentives to "de-brush" their properties. All the brush, branches, dead trees, etc. (that's the stuff that fuels forest fires. The big trees just end up suffering as a result) would be cut down, picked up, and hauled to businesses that grind it up into mulch or other useful materials. Or just hauled out to an open field and incinerated.
Cybr on's idea would be implemented on gov-owned or public land.
I'm sorry Double Dare Fan, I hear that you want people like me who owns private land with a forest on it to de-brush my place.

With hundreds of trees above my house on a steep rocky slope, no matter how much you pay me, how am I suppose to actuality do that?

This summer I've already hauled 13 tons of green waste away. It took me most of the summer, and I'm only working on getting the legally required 100' clear space done. It has nearly killed me to get it done physically. There are literally billions of trees behind where I live on public land.

South of here there has been a huge effort to thin the Jeffrey's. And if you look at what has been accomplished, it's easy to see that a wind driven fire would still burn the whole thing down.

This whole idea that we can thin the forests is I think, just more of the same of humans thinking we can control things. How are we in reality to control our environment?

Come on over anytime, and I'll show you what we're up against, and then perhaps you'll go home with your head shaking and start to rethink what you think.

What about if everyone started driving half as much, or a tenth as much? How can I get you to consider doing that? p.s. I've already done that and am working on reducing this even more.

Thank you for thinking about this!

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
Personally, I don't see anything I do personally as affecting any of this.

My new attitude is "Think Globally, YOLO".

If we are doomed, I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and push for reform from the top which is the only way any of this gets fixed.
I hear: "You Only Live Once". It sounds like that helps you feel better about this. It seems that for you it's all about your life. Ok, I hear you, think globally, but enjoy your life.

But I don't understand. What makes you think that the top will ever change, anywhere near fast enough for you to be able to do that?

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
EVs are viable because they make sense. They don't need another faux world crisis.

main-qimg-be5b3d5f3b8e09cdf3abe3378fa31a44.png

main-qimg-dfa2e9425b46cef42c621ea8bbbe567a.png

800000-carbon.jpg

The data clearly establishes that there has always been a cycle to CO2 long before man’s industrial age. This is data government wants to hide. As along as they can pretend CO2 has never risen in the past before 1950, then they can tax the air and pretend it’s to prevent climate change. Moreover, while we can clean the air with regulation as we have done, under global warming, they allow “credits” to pollute as long as you pay the government. It is the ultimate scam where they get to tax pollution and people cheer rather than clean up anything.
LDRHAWKE, I'm hearing that you believe that the CO2 swings are natural and normal, and also that the government is hiding this truth from us, and in fact that the government seems to have a big part in using this idea of global warming to tax us, but without actually doing anything good. Have I got that about right?

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
LDRHAWKE, I'm hearing that you believe that the CO2 swings are natural and normal, and also that the government is hiding this truth from us, and in fact that the government seems to have a big part in using this idea of global warming to tax us, but without actually doing anything good. Have I got that about right?
More than happy to give you my opinion on the question if you want to take it off the Cybertruck Owners Club.

After reading your earlier post looks like you got up on the wrong side of the bed and want to pick a fight with everyone…?

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It sounds like that helps you feel better about this.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Not a religious person but those are good words to live by.

Climate change is something that can only be impacted by large scale policy change. I could be a perfect person and it would make zero impact.

I can and do choose to do things which minimize the impact I have on the planet, but I am also going to enjoy what life I can. So I travel as much as I can and try to enjoy the world while I can. At the same time, I try to leave no trace and do it in as low impact way as possible.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Not a religious person but those are good words to live by.

Climate change is something that can only be impacted by large scale policy change. I could be a perfect person and it would make zero impact.

I can and do choose to do things which minimize the impact I have on the planet, but I am also going to enjoy what life I can. So I travel as much as I can and try to enjoy the world while I can. At the same time, I try to leave no trace and do it in as low impact way as possible.
The fact that politicians have been able convince far to many gullible people
that man is able to control World climate, if you simply give them money and power; reminds me of the story about the ego of a flea on his back floating down river on a leaf, with an erection screaming “raise the railroad bridge, raise the bridge”.

We forget that political global warming con all started with Obama, Gore, and Strong who were “instrumental in developing and launching the privately-owned Chicago Climate Exchange, which called itself “North America’s only cap and trade system for all six greenhouse gases, with global affiliates and projects.

And that’s only the beginning of this tawdry tale of the World class con man Maurice Strong and friends attempting to con the World out of $170 trillion in taxes annually. Which was defeated by Congress.

Forbes magazine went through the federal budget and estimated about $150 billion in spending in research grants to prove global warming during President Obama’s first term alone. It has grown to $trillions and has become a self serving industry.

What did PT Barnum say about a sucker born every minute.

That is not to say the World Climate is not changing. It is always changing. That is not to say CO2 has not increased, it has. Weather is not Climate. The World is not coming to an end.….for awhile.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm sorry Double Dare Fan, I hear that you want people like me who owns private land with a forest on it to de-brush my place.

With hundreds of trees above my house on a steep rocky slope, no matter how much you pay me, how am I suppose to actuality do that?
CalFire will offer free brush chipping to make defensible areas. You can plant different coverage that produces less underbrush.

You can also donate or sell your land to a trust, instead of having to maintain it yourself.

If you own land, you are responsible for it.

-Crissa
Sponsored