Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
TESLA CYBERTRUCK: ELON MUSK REVEALS UPDATED VERSION MAY BE UNVEILED SOON

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-tweaked-version

A REVISED VERSION OF THE TESLA CYBERTRUCK MAY BE UNVEILED "IN A MONTH OR SO," ELON MUSK REVEALED SUNDAY.

The all-electric truck, first revealed in November 2019, is set to hit roads in late 2021. Musk, the Tesla CEO who presented the truck at the Tesla Design Studio in Los Angeles 12 months ago, suggested via his Twitter page Sunday that the company would soon show images of how the truck has changed over the past year. In response to a question about whether the Cybertruck will be an "ass-kicker," Musk replied that it's "basically a tank from the future that’s road-legal, so yeah."

The reveal could answer some of the biggest questions about the Cybertruck's evolving design. Musk has regularly teased that the final version of the Cybertruck will be better than the prototype. During last month's third-quarter 2020 earnings call, Musk said there are "a lot of small improvements compared to what was unveiled," and that the final truck will be "better than what we showed."

"With Tesla, we really aim to make the car that is delivered better than the car that is unveiled," Musk said in the call. "It always drove me crazy. Car companies would unveil these awesome looking cars. Like great, can't wait til they make that! And then the car they actually make is much worse. It's, like, really disappointing."

How will it change is the big question. In February, Musk outlined a couple of planned changes. This included a revised body width from 84 inches down to 82 inches and "upper laser blade lights" as standard. The specifications provided at the truck's unveiling claimed it measured 79.8 inches wide, 75 inches tall and 231.7 inches long.

In a May appearance on Jay Leno's Garage, Musk claimed the final design would be around five percent smaller. However, soon after this clip went live, Musk explained that he'd reviewed the car with head of design Franz von Holzhausen and even reducing the size three percent would not be possible. He also wrote that the car would be "pretty much this size."

Another planned change, as mentioned in May, is a "smaller, tight world truck at some point." This alternative version would be intended for markets like Europe with smaller roads. Musk has confirmed he's not against shipping the full-size version to Australia and New Zealand.

Tesla is also expected to tweak the alloy used in the Cybertruck. Musk explained in July that SpaceX is "rapidly changing alloy constituents & forming methods" as it develops its Mars-bound Starship, and the Cybertruck is also expected to receive changes. The truck's angular design comes form the fact that it uses ultra-hard 30X steel that makes shaping difficult.

The Tesla Cybertruck is expected to start shipping in limited quantities by the end of 2021. The truck starts at $39,900 for a single-motor rear-wheel-drive version with 250 miles of range, going up to a $69,900 version with tri-motor all-wheel-drive and over 500 miles of range.

Central to Tesla's production plans is Giga Texas. This new facility, under construction in Austin, will produce Cybertruck, the upcoming Semi truck, and Model 3 and Model Y cars for the eastern half of North America.

THE INVERSE ANALYSIS – It will be interesting to see how the Cybertruck changes before production. Fans witnessed a similar tweaking process before the Model 3 hit roads in July 2017, like sensor changes and tweaks to charging port colors.

Another change could be the addition of physical side mirrors. Current prototypes appear to use a camera-based system instead. While United States law currently requires cars to come with physical mirrors, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has explored changing the rule. Whether that change comes before the Cybertruck launches is another question.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 23 Tesla MY
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm amazed at some of the thoughts people have of the new design that will be coming out. Elon has been sparse with any details. He did put out the smaller size with a lower centerline and window sill. The size change was walked back later but nothing mentioned about the lower centerline and window sill.
My two cents on what I think they'll release will be the lower centerline, NHTSA approved outside mirrors and headlights, and more updates on the suspension that Elon has gone on about.
I'm also looking for changes on the angles and curves they may try with the newer SS alloy. Maybe a more aerodynamic front end to get more range. One thing that Elon and Tesla give us is surprises that keep us waiting for the next one.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! tesla-elon-cybertruck-new-photos

Guess that rules out a cross-country with the CT this year. Maybe first of next year.

OP
OP
Ehninger1212

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I'm still optimistic this doesn't change the production guidance for EOY 2021. I seriously doubt high volume but I remain positive on seeing the first few thousand trucks roaming the streets.

Having said that seeing the "Tweaked" design almost one year later will be an awesome Christmas Gift.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The new changes will be: with a Warn 12,000 lb ZEON 12-S Platinum Winch

pdint_2_w95960_4576.15720873711006.png

or Ramsey 12,000 lb PATRIOT PROFILE
Patriot12000.jpg

and a Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck setup.

OR a Tesla in-house electric winch custom built for the CT. They do build their own electric motors!

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
The new changes will be: with a Warn 12,000 lb ZEON 12-S Platinum Winch

pdint_2_w95960_4576.15720873711006.png

or Ramsey 12,000 lb PATRIOT PROFILE
Patriot12000.jpg

and a Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck setup.
I truly hope there are upgrade points in the design for winch, lights, Night vision camera (because why the hell not) etc..... but something that wouldn't surprise me is if tesla designed their own winch. Given that It has much higher voltages to pull from instead of just 12v.
Maybe a winch that works with offroad settings and cameras to pull itself out. Maybe a much higher release rate Ft/min when you're walking it to an anchor point.
I realize its not that big of deal to take 2 min to let out a decent amount of synth rope or cable. Just something I could see tesla using its immense electrical supply to create a winch with new features.
just a thought

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
This is great news. I was emailing another CT reservation holder this morning saying;

"I'm most interested in seeing what the final product is going to look like. There's going to be some design changes (mirrors?...windshield wiper(s)...will it be more rounded at all?...will there be any design form stamped into the hood, tailgate, or quarter panels?...will there be any badging on it? It doesn't say Tesla or Cybertruck anywhere on it now...Will it get a pass thru from the bed to the cabin?...What upgrade options are going to be available?...Will it have any type of 4 wheel steering?...Are 35" tires really coming standard?...Finally I want to see the complete specs; battery size, turn radius, suspension, wheel travel, miles per charge; get rid of the 500+ and just tell us 530 or 600 whatever the + actually means.)"

I'm excited again.