Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
He did say they could start making them for a million dollars apiece back in January, but hat sounds more like a 'we need to finish the factory' delay, not a 'the raw costs are too high' delay.

-Crissa

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
ok, let’s take it that the DELAY was not
Undisputedly quoted

but the costs are undisputed quoted by EM and this is a cost thread.

the good news is there will be a lot of cancellations if people are expecting the same price, allowing others to move up the list 🤙

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The Musk quote seems to support Tesla aspiring to keep the costs down, not make an expensive truck, and that doing so is one of the primary design challenges.

Musk wouldn't say "creating an expensive truck is relatively easy" if he wanted to jack the prices up and drastically increase cybertruck pricing. Him saying this indicates affordability is still a primary design goal for the cybertruck. He would not say this if they were going to make the cybertruck a 100k+ vehicle, that would just be admitting to not being able to accomplish something that is difficult and instead doing the "relatively easy" thing.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't wait to see what the high cost color options will be for the CT. ;)
I guess you missed my point or I was not clear.....what I was referring to is the 50k CT......the optioned out obviously was not referring to color...only 4wheel steer, FSD, and all the other options they will try and upsell to increase price and still getting the margin they want....however, there was talk about color wrapping at Texas or a 3rd party before delivery I think......so dont rule out color

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
The Musk quote seems to support Tesla aspiring to keep the costs down, not make an expensive truck, and that doing so is one of the primary design challenges.

Musk wouldn't say "creating an expensive truck is relatively easy" if he wanted to jack the prices up and drastically increase cybertruck pricing. Him saying this indicates affordability is still a primary design goal for the cybertruck. He would not say this if they were going to make the cybertruck a 100k+ vehicle, that would just be admitting to not being able to accomplish something that is difficult and instead doing the "relatively easy" thing.
Yep. Completely agree. 👍

I just think we’re gonna be a fair amount higher than the launch pricing. I wish everyone here myself included that that’s not the case but another headline today that June inflation up at a record 9.1 percent year over year. Don’t see how we can expect anything quoted three years to be viable today.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is the US inflation rate since 2020. Note, 2020 was under 2%.

As mentioned before... Very likely, Tesla would have accounted for some inflation in the original pricing.

Looking at the chart, and guessing Tesla has allowed for some increase.. Maybe we are looking at an unplanned average 5% rise. ?

(providing, over the coming months, rising interest rates succeed in controlling inflation)

Tesla Cybertruck Updated Predicted Cybertruck Pricing 1657723217350

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yep. Completely agree. 👍

I just think we’re gonna be a fair amount higher than the launch pricing. I wish everyone here myself included that that’s not the case but another headline today that June inflation up at a record 9.1 percent year over year. Don’t see how we can expect anything quoted three years to be viable today.
I very much get the inflation argument.

But there is a silly amount of chatter around pricing is for 50% or greater increases. Quite a few comments suggesting base price will double.

Model Y price has increased about 25% in the past 18 months. If Cybertruck was inline with that, we’d see the base Cybertruck at $50k and the dual motor at about $63k.

That is in-line with inflation. Even if you assume the base config is eliminated or punted into the distant future, the dual motor at a $70k base price is a 40% increase, way beyond inflation, and beyond what Tesla has actually increased prices in their existing products.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I agree with your points.
25% increase is a pretty huge increase though for this product/industry.
All the 50% stuff referenced….I don’t think that’s gonna be the case

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
dual motor $55K to $60K
Quad motor $65K to $70.
PLAID $90+
i hope this is the case. hopefully by the time inflation is down too so prices are around what they were at reveal. i hope the plaid is around 90 since the current plaid models are upwards of 120

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
i hope this is the case. hopefully by the time inflation is down too so prices are around what they were at reveal. i hope the plaid is around 90 since the current plaid models are upwards of 120
Current Plaid models are based on $100k cars with tightly constrained production.

I am thinking we will never see a Plaid Cybertruck after all. When asked about a Plaid Model 3, Musk said there would never be one and suggested the only reason there was a Model S still being produced is for nostalgia.

Impression I got was Model S and X are low volume and will remain so. Plaid is also low volume and likely would remain exclusive to those lines.

That last bit is conjecture for certain, but it was the idea of a Model 3 Plaid which got Musk off on this tangent.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
Current Plaid models are based on $100k cars with tightly constrained production.

I am thinking we will never see a Plaid Cybertruck after all. When asked about a Plaid Model 3, Musk said there would never be one and suggested the only reason there was a Model S still being produced is for nostalgia.

Impression I got was Model S and X are low volume and will remain so. Plaid is also low volume and likely would remain exclusive to those lines.

That last bit is conjecture for certain, but it was the idea of a Model 3 Plaid which got Musk off on this tangent.
i do not agree with you. musk has said multiple times the quad motor plaid ct will be the first one out. there is no point in creating a plaid model 3. imagine a model 3 that does 0-60 in 2-2.5 seconds. people would buy it but would probably stop opting for the s. it would also take away from the model 3 versions. standard, long range, performance and plaid. they would either have to drop the performance one for the plaid to do this if not who wouldnt spend an extra couple grand for a plaid 3

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
i do not agree with you. musk has said multiple times the quad motor plaid ct will be the first one out. there is no point in creating a plaid model 3. imagine a model 3 that does 0-60 in 2-2.5 seconds. people would buy it but would probably stop opting for the s. it would also take away from the model 3 versions. standard, long range, performance and plaid. they would either have to drop the performance one for the plaid to do this if not who wouldnt spend an extra couple grand for a plaid 3
He said 'quad motor'. He did not say Plaid.

No one said there wouldn't be a market for a Plaid version... just that it wouldn't be a reason to affect the remained of the model line's variants' pricing.

-Crissa

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag

The only logic I see that would allow for a Plaid CT is that it is alone in its class. Tesla makes a big version and a smaller version of their vehicles so far. For sedans, you have the 3 and the S... The larger S has a plaid variant. For SUVs you have the Y and the X... The larger X has the plaid variant.

***Puts on speculation pants***

The CT is the only truck and it'll always be the larger one if they ever decided to make another truck. So, it stands to reason that the CT will have a plaid version. We're always talking about the possibility for a smaller "Wolverine" CT. If they made it that would end up having a tri-motor Wolverine Performance, and the CT would be the CT Plaid.

Pricing is too hard to really predict. I think the top spec CT will match rivals but kill them in specs—then there will be an insane Plaid version that'll murder your wallet on sight.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I agree there will be a Plaid. If I’m not mistaken, Elon did say he would drive the plaid version. We thought it would be the Tri motor, but once Elon mentioned having a quad motor, That got a lot of us thinking this was going to be the Plaid Trim. Would be nice to know more right? Also, how much. $$$$$$$ . But, never heard Elon call quad a plaid. But, I do think there is going to be one, cuz he did mention it.
Sponsored