Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Superchargers are in the neighborhood of $0.35/kWh. And the truck will use about 0.4Wh/mile.

If my math is right, that's about. about $0.14/mile.

But to use it, that means that you have to go to a Supercharger, and if you can charge at home, that's far from convenient. I believe that it is also time limited to 6 months.
Great, with that math during the 6-month free supercharging one would need to drive at least 8K miles to match $1,200 (V3 Gateway) value
Or
around 4,600k miles to be worth more then the $700 shop credit.

$0.14 x 1000miles = $140, rounded to $150 (simple est math) for every 1000 miles driven.
$1,200/$150= 8 x 1,000 total estimate 8k miles = $1,200 value
Sponsored

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't got this choice email yet, but to confirm:

1. For me, already have solar, gateways, power walls. So I don't need the v3 gateway right? Also already have the universal wall charger.

2. Credit seems like best option here, too bad they didn't make them all just the same value.
Yes you would not need the V3 Gateway unless you have V2 and it's worth upgrading & reselling the V2. I have compared & contrasted V2 vs V3.

Shop credit would be best value if you plan to use less then 4,600 supercharging miles within the free 6-months. Or.. if you dont have anything to purchase from the shop the credit may not have much value for you, the Foundation series come with near every extra small widget you can purchase for the CT from the shop.

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am in the same boat, I confirmed with the election that I declined it and it was marked on my account, but how long until I see the $700 credit. I do not want the supercharging, so I am sure thats what they will give me.
I really hope the "or" on the configuration page means we get the choice, but your correct it could also mean an $700 or Supercharging will be randomly given if you decline powershare. This would be a gut punch.

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For you, I’d probably go credit.

But I am still not clear on though is, does the universal wall charger come with the truck either way (for new Tesla customers)? Or does it go away if you don’t get the gateway and you’ll need to spend most of the store credit on a wall charger anyway.
That's actually a great catch. I assumed it was only giving up the v3 gateway but I went back to read again and I think your correct as they are lumping up the UWC & V3 Gateway as a Powershare Home Backup set. It sounds as if you decline the Power Share Homeback up we will lose both! The UWC is $600 & Ve Gateway $1,200, ouch $1,800 to trade for $700 scope credit does not seam fair.

Tesla Cybertruck V3 Gateway Vs $700 Shop Credit Vs 6-months free super charging 20240429_214357

Coagulation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
That's actually a great catch. I assumed it was only giving up the v3 gateway but I went back to read again and I think your correct as they are lumping up the UWC & V3 Gateway as a Powershare Home Backup set. It sounds as if you decline the Power Share Homeback up we will lose both! The UWC is $600 & Ve Gateway $1,200, ouch $1,800 to trade for $700 scope credit does not seam fair.

20240429_214357.jpg
also shows this though, which does not imply it has anything to do with home PowerShare. Reading this, I would assume the truck would come with a charger.

(mobile PowerShare is a different thing which makes this confusing)

Tesla Cybertruck V3 Gateway Vs $700 Shop Credit Vs 6-months free super charging IMG_3925

Last edited:

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I actually missed that part, Now it sounds as 2x Universal Wall Connectors are included (if accepting the Powershare Home backup kit). Now I'm sure at least 1 x UWC is included.

But do we get 2 x UWC if we accept the gateway?

The Universal Wall Connector = Permanently hard wired in to your wall. This device is weatherproof and can also be mounted outside of the home, if you park in the driveway.

Power Share Mobile Connector = Your on the go (or at home) charging cord. This can plug in to a standard 110v or 220v. It can also be used to share power from the truck bed plug in the CT to charge another EV.

HellsNels

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck | Beast | FS; 2017 Model 3 LR
Country flag
Guys its simple for Foundation Series its broken into if you're getting AWD or Cyberbeast.

AWD:
  • IF you qualifiedand are setup with a local installer, you have to pay $1800 dollars for that equipment the Universal Wall Charger and Gateway V3. You will also have to pay for installation and labor.
    • You do not get a free UWC nor Gateway V3 either way
  • IF you DO NOT qualify for whatever reason (you already have that equipment, they don't like your home setup, there is no available installer) you have the option of $700 store credit or the 6 mo. free supercharging.
  • You DO get the special CT-specific mobile charger at delivery
CYBERBEAST:
  • IF you qualifiedand are setup with a local installer, you get a credit up to $4000 including the Gateway V3 and Universal Wall Charger. Anything past that you pay out of pocket.
    • You do not get a free UWC nor Gateway V3 either way WITHOUT the entire Powershare package i.e. you can't just get the equipment without the install
  • IF you DO NOT qualify for whatever reason (you already have that equipment, they don't like your home setup, there is no available installer) you have the option of $700 store credit or the 6 mo. free supercharging. Same as AWD.
Tesla Cybertruck V3 Gateway Vs $700 Shop Credit Vs 6-months free super charging IMG_3371

If anyone has for whatever reason received a Universal Wall Charger with their delivered CT please let us know but I feel like that's a super, super rare thing and not common practice.

Last edited:
OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received my order email on 26 Apr 24. I think they made some minor changes by removing the AWD $1,800 equipment charge.

My config page says for both the AWD & Beast the cost of the Universal Wall Connector & Gateway V3 are included (Within the $20k Foundation package).

From what I see on my end everything else you mentioned is accurate, the $4k equipment installation credit with the only the Beast package & the 2 options for those that do not qualify.

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Guys its simple for Foundation Series its broken into if you're getting AWD or Cyberbeast.

AWD:
  • IF you qualifiedand are setup with a local installer, you have to pay $1800 dollars for that equipment the Universal Wall Charger and Gateway V3. You will also have to pay for installation and labor.
    • You do not get a free UWC nor Gateway V3 either way
  • IF you DO NOT qualify for whatever reason (you already have that equipment, they don't like your home setup, there is no available installer) you have the option of $700 store credit or the 6 mo. free supercharging.
CYBERBEAST:
  • IF you qualifiedand are setup with a local installer, you get a credit up to $4000 including the Gateway V3 and Universal Wall Charger. Anything past that you pay out of pocket.
    • You do not get a free UWC nor Gateway V3 either way WITHOUT the entire Powershare package i.e. you can't just get the equipment without the install
  • IF you DO NOT qualify for whatever reason (you already have that equipment, they don't like your home setup, there is no available installer) you have the option of $700 store credit or the 6 mo. free supercharging. Same as AWD.
IMG_3371.jpeg

If anyone has for whatever reason received a Universal Wall Charger with their delivered CT please let us know but I feel like that's a super, super rare thing and not common practice.
I'm pretty sure the order page says that UWC and Gateway are included with AWD, you just pay the local installer (ransom) installation at whatever price they name.
Cyberbeast includes UWC and Gateway and up to $4k towards installation, which will magically end up being the absolute minimum the local installation company will charge.
I believe it is dishonest of Tesla not to include the equipment and ship it with the truck and instead make us pay whatever the hell number their holy, annointed installer feels like charging to connect a few wires and mount a couple boxes.

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the order page says that UWC and Gateway are included with AWD, you just pay the local installer (ransom) installation at whatever price they name.
Cyberbeast includes UWC and Gateway and up to $4k towards installation, which will magically end up being the absolute minimum the local installation company will charge.
I believe it is dishonest of Tesla not to include the equipment and ship it with the truck and instead make us pay whatever the hell number their holy, annointed installer feels like charging to connect a few wires and mount a couple boxes.
100% agree some the prices I have been hearing for the install are insane. Which is another reason I have been considering declining the package, purchase the items thru 3rd party, installed by a local electrician. The Wall connector is so simple & easy to purchase, sold by Best Buy for $450. It's just a charging cord hard wired into 220V (no big deal). Not to mention there are many types of aftermarkets (Non-Tesla) home charger options.

The V3 Gateway is more complicated, as its very hard to find due to Tesla tight grip with installation only, currently I only see V2 Gateways being resold. With more and more bi-directional EV being sold there will be more after-market options to transfer power from any EV back to your home.

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
100% agree some the prices I have been hearing for the install are insane. Which is another reason I have been considering declining the package, purchase the items thru 3rd party, installed by a local electrician. The Wall connector is so simple & easy to purchase, sold by Best Buy for $450. It's just a charging cord hard wired into 220V (no big deal). Not to mention there are many types of aftermarkets (Non-Tesla) home charger options.

The V3 Gateway is more complicated, as its very hard to find due to Tesla tight grip with installation only, currently I only see V2 Gateways being resold. With more and more bi-directional EV being sold there will be more after-market options to transfer power from any EV back to your home.
My GC sent me his main electrician to install my 14-50 Nema in 2018 for $75. I just provided the Hubbel and the breaker. You need the Universal Wall Connector for $620 for powershare, but your right on the install costs. Mine goes right by my panel and I'd get it done for $100, Tesla approved guy wants $1,000 for one hour labor and a $30 breaker and 3' of wire. I think the Gateway wouldn't take more than 2 hours to mount and wire, so another $150 and the electrican would be happy.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag

Have you priced other bi-directional hardware and installation costs? The Ford Lightening installation and hardware starts almost at $10,000. The hardware alone is almost $5500 and it only 9.6 kW, compared to Tesla's 11.5 kW. The Quasar units are super expensive and you can't use any generic setup with the Cybertruck. To enable bi-directional charging you need a Tesla gateway, installed by a Tesla installer, and register it. How would you bypass Tesla with this? They aren't going to open up bidirectional charging without their hardware.

Even paying $4200 in installation, the price is much lower than anything else right now.

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I received my order email on 26 Apr 24. I think they made some minor changes by removing the AWD $1,800 equipment charge.

My config page says for both the AWD & Beast the cost of the Universal Wall Connector & Gateway V3 are included (Within the $20k Foundation package).

From what I see on my end everything else you mentioned is accurate, the $4k equipment installation credit with the only the Beast package & the 2 options for those that do not qualify.
Where was there stated a $1,800 equipment charge? I'm not sure the price of the 3V gateway is published anywhere, nor is it available for sale yet. The UWC is $620

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where was there stated a $1,800 equipment charge? I'm not sure the price of the 3V gateway is published anywhere, nor is it available for sale yet. The UWC is $620
I was replying to GatorCyber there is "no" $1,800 equipment charge, as the equipment cost is included with the $20k Foundation package.

But... Tesla website does publish the V3 Gateway cost @ $1,200 when purchased with a Powerwall (https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall/get) Get Powerwall | Tesla + UWC $620 = Total $1860

or.. UWC $450 @ Best Buy Tesla Wall Connector Hardwired Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger up to 48A 24' White 1457768-02-H - Best Buy )

OP
OP

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have you priced other bi-directional hardware and installation costs? The Ford Lightening installation and hardware starts almost at $10,000. The hardware alone is almost $5500 and it only 9.6 kW, compared to Tesla's 11.5 kW. The Quasar units are super expensive and you can't use any generic setup with the Cybertruck. To enable bi-directional charging you need a Tesla gateway, installed by a Tesla installer, and register it. How would you bypass Tesla with this? They aren't going to open up bidirectional charging without their hardware.

Even paying $4200 in installation, the price is much lower than anything else right now.
Thats great info thank you, I had no idea Ford system is that expensive!! Thats why when it comes to the V3 Gateway it's much more complicated than just the simple 220V mounted home charging cord.

Have you looked into any other Bi-Directional charging units and pricing? How do any other V2H or V2L capable brands (beside Ford) do it: VolksWagon, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Ram (soon), etc.. I'm thinking long-term when we sell our homes in the future. Our branded setup to feed power into our home will need to eventually be universal. I would think all systems would/should work with any bi-directional capable vehicle minus the need to purchase a plug adapter.

Same as Tesla can use any charging network with an adapter and vise-versa as other brands are now accepted on the Tesla network also need an adapter. Otherwise in the future selling a home will be a nightmare if our homes become car brand & type specific, forcing us to only sell only to other Tesla CT owners, or having to rip out the entire system to bring it with us as the system would be worthless to any other V2H capable vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited: