gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
What kind of motors does the CyberTruck use? Is it a stepper motor are a hysteresis motor. Does anyone understand why the tri-motor gets better mileage than the duel motor?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What kind of motors does the CyberTruck use? Is it a stepper motor are a hysteresis motor. Does anyone understand why the tri-motor gets better mileage than the duel motor?
Tesla uses different motors on each of its models. We don't know what they will use on the Cybertruck - they used the same motors on the Semi prototypes as they did the Model 3, a "Permanent Magnet Synchronous Reluctance Motor", but many more of them.

The trimotor likely just has a double-decker battery pack.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla uses different motors on each of its models. We don't know what they will use on the Cybertruck - they used the same motors on the Semi prototypes as they did the Model 3, a "Permanent Magnet Synchronous Reluctance Motor", but many more of them.

-Crissa
This is just speculation but I'm fairly confident the top-end Cybertruck will use a different battery chemistry than single motor variant - a battery that is more energy dense.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

-Crissa
This was discussed at length here What motor(s) will the Cybertruck use?

Both the Model S and X have this in the Owners Manuel under Specifications - Subsystems
Tesla Cybertruck Value of long range variants. Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.45.23 AM

Tesla Cybertruck Value of long range variants. Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.46.24 AM

The Model Y shows this
Tesla Cybertruck Value of long range variants. Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.12.53 AM

Curiously the Model 3 does NOT have the motor type in the Owners Manual.

So I guess you could speculate that the Model 3 has PMSRM but unless there is evidence I'm not aware of it is thought to have the same motors as the Model S, X and Y.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guys, we know what motors the Model Y and Model 3 have used.

Yeah, I know it's not in the manual, but people have taken them apart.

-Crissa
I've seen that video. At 1:14 Sandy Munro says "Switched Reluctance motor". The tear down is a Model 3 motor and it is not a Switched Reluctance motor.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I love Sandy, but I agree, that part of the video was very confusing. He didn’t come out and specifically call the motor a switched reluctance motor. In fact the next words were “we don’t know...” but then I realized the ”we don’t know” part seems to be part of the next sentence about the alloy of the metal. The quick subject change (to the metal) almost seemed like he thought he said to much about the motor and didn’t want to give away any more secrets for free.

I have done some internet researching on the different reluctance motors that have been popping up lately. Both for personal curiousity and for work. From what I’ve seen in Sandy’s video, along with what I’ve researched, I agree that motor is not a switched reluctance motor. But I may be wrong. I wish he went over it a little better.
Sponsored