Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hot tip for those dealing with people who criticize your Cybertruck. Ask them to take a spin in it.

Find the steepest straightest dirt road you can find and stomp on the accelerator.

Then take them on pavement and do the same.

Once their eyeballs slide back into their sockets properly, take them on the bumpiest off road trail you can find and show them what it can do there.

If they still give you crap about the truck’s looks, leave them at the end of the bumpy road.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Two things:

1 - new triangle mirrors
2BA39F22-4A85-4747-9DB5-86D8541D75B7.jpeg

2 - what’s going on with this backend? Appears to be a big box underneath messing up departure angle clearance. I’m sure it’s fine, but curious as to why so bulky back there. Could just be the angle. Regardless…lovin it
F4B9D42B-22BB-4415-8328-9F7150E815C3.jpeg
Cybertruck has it diapers on... its just starting out, it'll evolve by the time production starts. lol

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Hot tip for those dealing with people who criticize your Cybertruck. ....
I plan on writing all the specs on the tailgate, in grease pencil!

Right below one of my favorite quotes: "Laugh it up, Fuzzball!"

Or maybe "She'll do point-five past light speed!"

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think 'diaper' has been there since the first prototype. Protect the plugs..Anderson/trailer etc. Hitch receiver is neatly tucked - looks good.

The only problem, I was really interested in the Shock Hitch, but it may be incompatible. There might not be space under the receiver for the airbag to fit.

Tesla Cybertruck [Video Added!] Cybertruck spotted with new side mirror design! Musk confirms removable (Feb 1, 2023) 📸 1675482168375

Tesla Cybertruck [Video Added!] Cybertruck spotted with new side mirror design! Musk confirms removable (Feb 1, 2023) 📸 1675482235966

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I agree that these betas are likely being used for testing HW4, which explains them being in Northern California. Elon has also been up there for the trial. If they are testing out HW4 and possibly other systems on these, I can see them not being concerned about the center taillight or the BAW or other things that may not be germane to the testing. They may have also fitted HW4 onto other test vehicles for street and highway driving.

I wonder what the doors look like after mirror removal? Will there be mounting holes? I was also thinking magnetic attachment, but they’dneed to be strong (heavy) magnets and after removing the mirrors, you’d still have the magnets left inside the doors. Not ideal nor an elegant solution.
The other odd thing about the mirrors is that they look like they are a bit spindly. I would expect them to fold in when parked, like other models, but running power to them means another hole in the door. Maybe they will come with a sill plate that will bolt on in place of the mirror and be flush and invisible?
Does anyone know how we can start to lobby for making it legal to replace the side mirrorswith cameras?
After years of discussion and speculation, I have forgotten what was even promised. Time to go back and watch the original rollout!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
You guys are still talking the skin, there is other metal under the skin, that will probably be magnetic. Neodymium would work, just like attaching magnet mounts to vehicles with aluminum skin to the metal underneath, just now it'll be a really flat piece to attach to.
Don't be ridiculous! Magnetic mirrors are not going to stick. You have zero clue.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm 85% sure that a big chunk of the buyers of the cybertruck are coming for it's styling. It's meant to be different and stand out
I like the styling, but, no, that's not what I care about and I don't think 85% do either. I love that it's gonna be the toughest 1/2 ton out there and the most durable. I also like that it doesn't suck gasoline like it's trying to get drunk like my current truck does. I could go on and on about the capabilities and features I'm most excited about but the styling is at or near the bottom of the list.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Don't be ridiculous! Magnetic mirrors are not going to stick. You have zero clue.
If it's 304 variation stainless steel it will to some extent, but magnets won't stick on 316 stainless. I'm not sure how magnetic the CT blend will be though, but the more magnetic it is (ferrous) the more prone it will be to corrosion.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
The DeLorean had a brushed look which would hide the tiny variations in the reflections.

I fully don't expect it to be a crazy obvious oil canning if it has it at all. Tiny changes to the look of the metal hide these minimal variations.

Paint on the humvee would hide those tiny variations, brushed look, ridges.

The existing use of metals have mitigation in place to hide any possible oil canning.

The reflective look of the CT would make it look worse then it really is at specific angles.

On the tool note. I agree that people will respect its usability and buy it because of that. But it won't be the only reason it's purchased. I feel like most of the people who will buy it, won't use it as a tool except for moving day or camping trips.
I wouldn't expect oil canning on the production version. Starship went through the same process, the early ones had it as they were more crudely made but as production methods changed/got dialed in it disappeared.

This is the part where I don’t get the point.

I people are so hung up on how it looks that they ignore what it can do, are their opinions really that valuable?

I’m buying the truck to do specific things. Not to look a certain way.

If one truck looks better and the other does a better job, I know which one I’m driving.
The way a vehicle looks (exterior/interior) is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, reason people buy. Truck buyers included, they just are less inclined to admit it.
Sponsored

Last edited: