Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
i already have this

it's a solar system on my roof that is connected to (among other things) a charger in my garage
I assume you have a battery bank or Tesla Wall in between. Being able to plug additional solar cells directly into the CT would turn the truck into that battery bank.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I assume you have a battery bank or Tesla Wall in between. Being able to plug additional solar cells directly into the CT would turn the truck into that battery bank.
nah, long story short, Austin's energy company makes battery systems effectively useless (if only economically)

just kidding around that basically you're describing a mini home solar system and bespoke charger

trouble is the mini inverters, etc., needed somewhere in that mix

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
If Tesla would just put a solar enabled connector somewhere accessible from the vault, the aftermarket can worry about the panel form factor. I would love to see a flexible panel that would attach at the corners of the vault just below the vault cover. It would be plugged into the Tesla supplied port. When you park, you simply open the vault to expose the panel.

When you need to put something in the vault that won't fit under the panels, you simply disconnect and roll it up (or fold it up, I'm no solar panel expert).

I'm thinking there has to be some kind of lightweight way to make this work. If it just helped eliminate the vampiric losses, it would be a win.

With this system, it would seem it could be pretty cheap for Tesla and cutomers.

EDIT: Doing a quick search, Renogy has 200W panels ($309 each at writing). Two panels would almost perfectly cover the Vault. Unfortunately, that's only 400 watts under ideal conditions.
At 300 Watts X 8 hour work day = 2.4 KwH which would take care of probably all the vampiric loss but would almost certainly cover about 6 miles of travel per day. Maybe. Sad, but I'd still do it. They'd probably never "pay themselves off" but they would be nice in some circumstances.

Last edited:

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If Tesla put a 48 volt input plug in the truck bed, you could hang these like a folding door. Connect the panels in series for 48 volt output. Connect them together with nylon ties. Then by simply adding adding three fiber glass rods that span the bed width to make a hanger system. The CT appears to all ready have in the bed walls a long opening for tie down to hang them from. It would cover the whole bed when pulled out directly beneath the bed cover. Close the cover to prevent it from being stolen. The whole system could be pushed and collapsed to the front of the bed when not in use.

This all assuming that Tesla is not already going to build solar cells into the tonneau cover as part of their solar charging system.

Amazon.com : 1200 Watt Solar Panel Kit, 4 × 300 Watt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel for 12-48V Battery Charging Car Battery Camper RV Yacht Battery Boat : Patio, Lawn & Garden…..$469.89

i think these panels may over rated in out put, but you get the idea.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) IMG_4097

Last edited:

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
Tesla should just make one of the 120 or 240V plugs bi-directional. Then you can attach any grid-tie inverter + panel you want.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Only needs to have six wheel steering. I think I heard Elon promise it would. 🤪

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
nah, long story short, Austin's energy company makes battery systems effectively useless (if only economically)

just kidding around that basically you're describing a mini home solar system and bespoke charger

trouble is the mini inverters, etc., needed somewhere in that mix
There are a few companies (Jackery is one) that makes portable solar panels that charge a battery with 240v output. Yes, you’re adding another step to the equation, but look at it this way, more batteries while camping or whatever. Then just plug in either the 120v or 240v mobile charger and poof, Bobs your uncle.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
There are a few companies (Jackery is one) that makes portable solar panels that charge a battery with 240v output. Yes, you’re adding another step to the equation, but look at it this way, more batteries while camping or whatever. Then just plug in either the 120v or 240v mobile charger and poof, Bobs your uncle.
Easy Peezy(!)
CAUTION: Could be 'Aunty Jack'
'Jump through the speakers and rip yer BLOODY arms off'

Last edited:

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Thanks for the observation on that early windshield. Your comments make sense.

100% agree with the visibility issues. My X has a pretty good A-pillar slope and takes up much visibility.

The CT is sloped more and clearly it is a concern as they added a large triangle glass to help.
The CT also has the HUGE 'column' for the A-pillar.

MaGkDND.jpg

UgRAxAA.jpg
I’m very curious to find how that plays out in practise. The Model 3 already has poor corner visibility with thick and slanted A pillars (I kept almost driving into people, bikes and cars simply because I didn’t see them). I much prefer the more upright pillars of the ID.Buzz and even our e-Up. From some of the pictures it seems like the Cybertruck will have even worse visibility, but it could also depend on how the exact angles work.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
yes great reminder with this photo, and since we're on the topic a few interesting inferences from it:

that window is from the earlier beta, which in the lower 1/2 they for a while minimized the black side trim pieces - note the little cut-ins

two points about those cut-ins:

first, i think they begin mid-windshield as such because functionally that's really where driver visibility is relevant

second, i think those cut-ins were there to try and address the forward visibility constraints of the two A-pillars, etc.

but i've seen pieces of intel that combined suggest that for a period there was structural instability of some sort at the juncture of the chassis and the bolt-in triangle window area, with that bolt-in later beefed up to help address

that's why now the side black areas on the windshield are a Stright line down - there's more truck behind the glass in those areas

when the CT hits the streets in retail hands, there is going to be a LOT of chatter about both rearward and front corner visibility
Definitely looks like they've had to beef up the structure in that area. These two photos show it quite well, even more noticeable is how much wider the main A-pillar is on the Beta compared to the Alpha.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) Tesla-Cybertruck-3-1-of-1

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) cybertruck-meet-2
Sponsored