cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
@cvalue13 have you or anyone else made any extrapolated pixel measurements from the Joe Tegtmeyer's overhead shot with the covered Cybertruck sitting next to a Model Y to calculate an estimated Cybertruck length?
I haven’t - I suppose I take the sub-19’ assertion to mean just a fraction of an inch to an inch max less than 19’ - which squares with prior, better, overhead measurements (eg the crash test video)
Sponsored

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Based on my high-tech measuring technique it looks like the turning radius (from center of vehicle) is about 3.5 cybertrucks which comes to about 24 feet. Same as the Lightning. A bit disappointing given the added cost/complexity of rear wheel steer. I hope it wasn't enabled during this video. Turning radius is one of the key features I am looking at for my purchase decision.
1692232274186.png
I like your comparison spreadsheet you made to help make your purchase decision.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
This is not a great perspective, however.
WqtoUGD.jpg
I think you're looking at it wrong. On the top, notice the darkened area of the glass. That's where the regular windscreen bit ends, so on the driver side the gigawiper wipes well past that. On the passenger side I believe the yellow lines contain the inside of the A-pilar, so is also not visible (compare to the same area on the driver side).
I understand what you are saying but in my X the tip of the windshield goes past the inside edge of the A-pillar. If they did that then the arc would move up and left ~2". I appreciate a good view as we drive the X and love road tripping to places that take advantage of it.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) cKkZyMq

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Joe did release a real speed version. The CT doesn't go very fast in the video...

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I haven’t - I suppose I take the sub-19’ assertion to mean just a fraction of an inch to an inch max less than 19’ - which squares with prior, better, overhead measurements (eg the crash test video)
Yes, I was thinking the same thing before this video. Maybe we'll get some more overhead comparison shots in the coming days with all the Cybertrucks being tested out in the wild.

- ÆCIII

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This is not a great perspective, however.
WqtoUGD.jpg
you're a good bit off there, mate

your 'too short' on the left of the windscreen forgets that this exact area of the windshield is black, with trim on the interior - it can't be seen through by the passenger not because of dirt, but because of truck

your 'too short' on the top right has the same problem, as it forgets that this area also cannot be seen through, is all trim, etc.

in addition to that, it misses that the headliner and sunvisors line is a good ways down the glass

in all, while the exterior glass of the windshield is expansive, the functional windshield for passenger visibility is considerably smaller in area, and extensively covered by the BAW

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) 1692281617424

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) 1692281721402

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
you're a good bit off there, mate

your 'too short' on the left of the windscreen forgets that this exact area of the windshield is black, with trim on the interior - it can't be seen through by the passenger not because of dirt, but because of truck

your 'too short' on the top right has the same problem, as it forgets that this area also cannot be seen through, is all trim, etc.

in addition to that, it misses that the headliner and sunvisors line is a good ways down the glass

in all, while the exterior glass of the windshield is expansive, the functional windshield for passenger visibility is considerably smaller in area, and extensively covered by the BAW

1692281617424.png

1692281721402.png
Excellent points. I didn't recall seeing that picture. I see where I was incorrect on this. Great graphics as usual that drive the point home. Thanks.

I forgot about this picture as well.
Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) OyEcDAK

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Agreed.
When checking the recent video of the visit by Texas Senator John Cornyn, l confirmed my suspicions of a solar roof over both front and rear seats. If it's NOT, then some DUCK this way comes(!)
It's BLOODY DARK in the back seat, just how Aussies prefer on a Hot Summer Arvo.
Imagine 5 to 10 miles of charge....SOLD
If you could get 15 miles per day sitting in the sun, it would be a game changer. Imagine going to the airport for a week long business trip. Leave on Sunday and returning Friday with your battery in a higher state from when you began your trip (90 miles of range gained).

If it takes you 20 miles to get to the airport and 20 miles to get back, you would have a net gain of 50 miles. Or someone like myself who when not traveling I work from home. So my Cybertruck sits during the week most of the time and gets used on the weekend. Getting 105 miles of range per week would be an option people would pay for with ease.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Excellent points. I didn't recall seeing that picture. I see where I was incorrect on this. Great graphics as usual that drive the point home. Thanks.

I forgot about this picture as well.
OyEcDAK.jpg
yes great reminder with this photo, and since we're on the topic a few interesting inferences from it:

that window is from the earlier beta, which in the lower 1/2 they for a while minimized the black side trim pieces - note the little cut-ins

two points about those cut-ins:

first, i think they begin mid-windshield as such because functionally that's really where driver visibility is relevant

second, i think those cut-ins were there to try and address the forward visibility constraints of the two A-pillars, etc.

but i've seen pieces of intel that combined suggest that for a period there was structural instability of some sort at the juncture of the chassis and the bolt-in triangle window area, with that bolt-in later beefed up to help address

that's why now the side black areas on the windshield are a Stright line down - there's more truck behind the glass in those areas

when the CT hits the streets in retail hands, there is going to be a LOT of chatter about both rearward and front corner visibility

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
when the CT hits the streets in retail hands, there is going to be a LOT of chatter about both rearward and front corner visibility
Thanks for the observation on that early windshield. Your comments make sense.

100% agree with the visibility issues. My X has a pretty good A-pillar slope and takes up much visibility.

The CT is sloped more and clearly it is a concern as they added a large triangle glass to help.
The CT also has the HUGE 'column' for the A-pillar.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) MaGkDND

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Cybertruck driving in full daylight @ Giga Texas; good acceleration and turning radius (8/16/23) UgRAxAA

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
If you could get 15 miles per day sitting in the sun, it would be a game changer. Imagine going to the airport for a week long business trip. Leave on Sunday and returning Friday with your battery in a higher state from when you began your trip (90 miles of range gained).

If it takes you 20 miles to get to the airport and 20 miles to get back, you would have a net gain of 50 miles. Or someone like myself who when not traveling I work from home. So my Cybertruck sits during the week most of the time and gets used on the weekend. Getting 105 miles of range per week would be an option people would pay for with ease.
More then that. My wife currently *loses* about 20 miles sitting in the sun due to overheat protection and this stresses her out. I don't know why but almost every day she comments on how many miles she lost sitting in the sun. Turn that around to a net gain even if small will have a huge impact on perception for some people.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
More then that. My wife currently *loses* about 20 miles sitting in the sun due to overheat protection and this stresses her out. I don't know why but almost every day she comments on how many miles she lost sitting in the sun. Turn that around to a net gain even if small will have a huge impact on perception for some people.
these ideas all assume that an e.g. 4x5 square of fixed orientation panel could generate some 'material' amount of charge

for an ideally oriented panel, a 300W solar panel in Texas will produce a little more than 1 kWh every day. that panel is about 5.4 feet by 3.25 - roughly the rear glass area of the CT

let's say Tesla somehow fits instead 900W in that same size, and so is capable of 6kWh every day - assuming ideal orientation

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

I would never have to plug in to a charger. 5,500 miles a year is about all that I drive being retired. My 16 year old Toyota FJ only has about 75,000 on it.

it would be nice if the CT had an easily accessible solar panel plug-in to add charging solar capacity from an external solar cell bank to easily double or triple that mileage by simply adding a few external solar panels, not part of the CT, but mounted close to where it is parked. It would eliminate the need to even have to buy a home charger for many owners.

A couple of additional solar panels could easily be mounted in the truck bed to add mileage also.
Sponsored