Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I must have looked right past this weatherstripping for the tailgate 100 times

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 920806CB-A397-4092-B698-6F51E23ECC8C

Would probably only make sense to have weatherstripping there if there’s also weatherstripping at the junction of tonneau and tailgate. Since there’s only a lip on the tailgate, I’d venture to guess this leading edge is weather stripping

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 93715DC7-C8DA-4FE6-80D9-D68308A7E595

So, fully weather sealed vault
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
these guy’s “real world test” is also just sloppy and full of errors that account for their marginal “findings”
After their video on the Cybertruck, it’s pretty clear they care more about clicks than accuracy so this isn’t really surprising.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I must have looked right past this weatherstripping for the tailgate 100 times

Would probably only make sense to have weatherstripping there if there’s also weatherstripping at the junction of tonneau and tailgate. Since there’s only a lip on the tailgate, I’d venture to guess this leading edge is weather stripping

So, fully weather sealed vault
Pretty weird isn’t it?

For a some people that weather stripping won’t last more than a season. Hopefully losing it won’t affect operations much.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I suspect we might have to leave the cover out much of the winter unless we have covered parking. Here's hoping there is a sliding rear window to heat the box and melt the ice. (y)(y)(y)
If not you can plug a space heater into the 120v in the back and hopefully switch it on via the app. 😊

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
It passes the window and is not depicted blocking it.

The tonneau is basically a little train on a track. It's not contiguous from the roll to the tailgate. Just enough to close the vault. So it passes the window on its way in or out of the roll.

We saw this in videos of people riding in the original prototype.

-Crissa
Not sure what you're saying but this Rob Mauer video walk around. and the photo below clearly shows that the rear window view is blocked when the tonneau cover is closed. This isn't a big deal but it does clearly demonstrate that the rear window has little to no function with the tonneau closed other than perhaps checking on the vault contents from the back seat.

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 1678030067378

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
True, I don't know how the sloped back of the CT will fair. Only that it makes a slight difference for normal pickup trucks.
slight / significant. Adjectives tend to skew results.

15 gallon tank, 1.6 delta difference. Driving 13 gallons worth in the same driving conditions saves 19.5 miles with tonneau cover vs without one. A savings of about 1 gallon of gas in efficiency.

My adjective description would be impactful, yours is slight. Regardless of description, the actual delta is constant.

The impact in each truck design will be mainly influenced by the aero delta with or with tonneau.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
these guy’s “real world test” is also just sloppy and full of errors that account for their marginal “findings”
The margin of error with uncontrolled variables make the results inconclusive. They do not account for “marginal“ findings since they are not conclusive defining what is the actual delta.

A general rule I follow. If the data disagrees with my hypothesis. Double check for accuracy. If the data agrees with my hypothesis. Triple check accuracy before having an independent test validating results.

Last edited:

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
did you attach the wrong photo?
No but I get why you asked. The photo clearly shows the rear window with the tonneau open and the referenced video shows the closed tonneau covering the window.
Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! FqJ07oqakAEqXQd

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! cybertruck-tonneau-cover-video

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! cybertruck-tonneau-cover-video

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No but I get why you asked. The photo clearly shows the rear window with the tonneau open and the referenced video shows the closed tonneau covering the window.
Not entirely sure why you attached a picture of the vault open when you were talking about when the vault was closed.

The only time the rear window is obscured is when the vault is in the process of retracting. If the vault is fully open or fully closed you can see into the vault. We’ve seen this in action on launch night and every indication suggests it has not changed.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
still not following but it’s surely a personal problem of mine

Generally speaking, the rear window is open when the tonneau is all the way open, because at that point the tonneau is entirely rolled up beneath the bed and below the window

then if opening the tonneau fully, it all rolls past the window until closed (can see through the window in to only the closed inside of the vault) - I presume

I suppose it’s possibly true that with the tonneau fully closed the rear window remains blocked - but if that’s true folks can kiss goodbye the possibility of conditioning the vault

I assume that if the tonneau is only partially closed, the window is obscured

Or, a person could choose to roll the tonneau “up” only so far as to block the back window, but leaving the bed open

I suppose it’s possibly true that with the tonneau fully closed the rear window remains blocked - but if that’s true folks can kiss goodbye the possibility of conditioning the vault

the photo below clearly shows that the rear window view is blocked when the tonneau cover is closed.
but in this photo, neither is the tonneau closed nor the rear window blocked?

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 339BB028-3635-4246-ADDA-F70291E0969B

unless all you’re saying is that if the tonneau is closed, through the rear window ALL you can see is the inside the vault? That seems uncontroversial and widely understood? The rear window is “inside” the vault.

in the video referenced above, the video begins only when the tonneau is already partially rolled up and obscuring the window

There’s another video out there that show the back window, with the tonneau beginning to emerge from under the bed and increasingly rolling up the window

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 27DD40FD-093B-4889-B55C-1924461122FF

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 297C3C5B-C334-444C-A267-A0E8117D2C83

This is an earlier proto, but I assume it continues to work similarly:

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Why have a rear window at all? It's obviously not going to provide a view out the back when the cover is closed, which it will be 90% of time. If you have to carry anything in the back where it's not possible to close the cover, the item will likely block your view rearward. It would be just as easy to have a roll down panel (probably easier) as it would a roll down window. Why would you need to see inside a likely dark vault?

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why have a rear window at all? It's obviously not going to provide a view out the back when the cover is closed, which it will be 90% of time. If you have to carry anything in the back where it's not possible to close the cover, the item will likely block your view rearward. It would be just as easy to have a roll down panel (probably easier) as it would a roll down window. Why would you need to see inside a likely dark vault?
Exactly, this is what I have been trying to say ... looking into a closed vault has little value (unless that's where you put the kids). I suppose this discussion centers on two issues. The value of a rear window providing a rear view only when the valut tonneau is open and the concerns about less mileage (reduced aerodynamics) with an open vault. Really, neither is a big deal for me and I'm kinda sorry I mentioned it ... :oops:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Why would you need to see inside a likely dark vault?
the complete absence of a rear window would make the back seat feel even more claustrophobic than it feels to me already

Tesla Cybertruck Video: Tonneau cover closing on Cybertruck Beta! 5D085F7D-8596-43C5-887D-C0E542E1CA57

there will be people, like me, who for the same reason leave the vault open as much as possible when not fretting about range (assuming that when open this thing will take a non-negligible range hit - unlike an open bed in a traditional cabbed truck).

As far as seeing inside a dark vault, ignoring that there will be lights in the vault, the same is true when people install many versions of bed toppers. Even those with windows basically obscure any needed view out the back, and those trucks don’t have video rear view mirrors.
Sponsored