HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Your post makes my point. You keep talking about software on other Tesla vehicles that is "better" but its not yet actually delivered on the CyberTruck. Its future ware.
Even if I was willing to pretend the Cybertruck will never get FSD, in direct opposition to what my purchase order says, the Cybertruck software is still better. I hate cheezy software, I love fast, responsive user interfaces. It sounds like a small thing but it's something I use every day, especially the navigation.

It would be a huge mistake for me to move to a vehicle with such inferior software, it's one of the things I love most about the cars we already own. And the Cybertruck's user interface takes it to the next level, with an even more responsive screen.

The stereo is another one of those things that tend to not get represented in the specs. I'm sure the stereo in the Lightning is much better than the stereo in my 2010 F-150 XLT, but it's hard to convey just how bad that stereo actually is. I mean, I will never forgive Ford for the sound that comes out of that thing (and it's the "mid-grade" stereo option available with the "tech package" that cost a ridiculous amount more than the base version) or it's user interface that simply makes no sense in the way it works. Sure, I overlook it when I have to drive the Ford, mostly by not turning it on!

I'm done with Ford and their dealerships, no matter how much I like their new CEO Jim Farley. And, get this, I like Ford dealerships better than any Subaru, Mazda, Nissan, Volvo or VW dealership I have experience with. But they are still something I would like to avoid, at any cost. Maybe if Ford products were more compelling, I would put up with their dealerships but, thankfully, I have a much better option.
Sponsored

SteelMyHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ice f150 with engine swapped for battery. Functional. A par. The cybertruck is a timeless vehicle because it is unique in design but also has cool underlying tech and engineering beyond exterior. Nothing unique with the lightning and they didnt try to be, they wanted to electrify what was already selling.

I think the cybertruck has ushered in the era of steer by wire for large vehicles to make them more nimble and driveable in urban environments. It may have also proven to other car companies that you can mass produce a "concept car" and people will buy it.

People also forget the comparable trim lightning when first release was priced similarly to awd fs.

People vote with their wallets. 2023 f150 lightnings: 24k sold. Cybertruck is only constrained by production at the moment but will easily outsell f150.

F150 is a Y wing. Cybertruck is millenium falcon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The factors you choose a truck vary from person to person. I'm loathe to compare software in a truck I'm not going to get for more than a year, to a truck that's being shipped now.

And what I want is:

Efficiency
Cargo
Footprint
Turning radius

And on none of those does the Lightning beat the Cybertruck.

Ice f150 with engine swapped for battery. Functional. A par. The...
...That's not what the Lightning is, though. It's a second-generation EV that doesn't share frame with its ICE cousin. An old Ranger EV would be an engine swap, first gen EV. Don't make that mistake.

Cybertruck is a third-gen EV, which uses the battery as part of the structure, abandoning the ICE form-factor.

-Crissa

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The factors you choose a truck vary from person to person. I'm loathe to compare software in a truck I'm not going to get for more than a year, to a truck that's being shipped now.

And what I want is:

Efficiency
Cargo
Footprint
Turning radius

And on none of those does the Lightning beat the Cybertruck.

...That's not what the Lightning is, though. It's a second-generation EV that doesn't share frame with its ICE cousin. An old Ranger EV would be an engine swap, first gen EV. Don't make that mistake.

Cybertruck is a third-gen EV, which uses the battery as part of the structure, abandoning the ICE form-factor.

-Crissa
Footprint? You want smaller or bigger?
CT: 78 x 224
Lightning: 80 x 232.
Yes, the CT is 10" shorter - can only imagine that matters if your garage is between those two lengths.

Lightning actually has more Total cargo volume than CyberTruck.

If you are talking about just the bed, be sure you are using the right numbers. The Lightning is within a few cubic feet (like 53 vs 56 for the Tesla). (The CT does NOT have 121 cubic feet in the cargo bed - that is its total volume including the cab.)

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lightning actually has more total cargo volume than CyberTruck.
No.

If you are talking about just the bed, you might want to check some of the numbers. (The CT does NOT have 121 cubic feet in the cargo bed - that is a completely bogus number that has been published for some reason. Do the math: 6 long x 4 wide x 2 high = something closer to 48 cu ft.)

If you use the real numbers, the Lightning is within a few cubic feet (like 53 vs 56 or something like that) for the cargo bed. And you can easily add a topper to the Lightning to double the enclosed cargo volume in the bed. Plus another 60 cubic feet in the back seat area. Plus 14 in the Frunk.
Your numbers are bullshit. https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...uck-bed-measured-with-a-measuring-tape.10901/

You exclude the wells and bulkhead in the Cybertruck measure, but ignore the cover; but in the Lightning you don't measure for the wells and then... Add a cap?

That's just straight up dishonest.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Your numbers are bullshit. You exclude the wells and bulkhead in the Cybertruck measure, but ignore the cover; but in the Lightning you don't measure for the wells and then... Add a cap?
Not bullshit.

56 is the Tesla published number.
53 is the Ford published number (already deducts for the wheel wells).
Both seem like plausible numbers.

While the CT has the angled cargo area that is almost 29" high in the front (7" higher than the Ford box), people may not be aware that the CT's tailgate is 2" shorter than the Ford atthe back (20" vs 22").

People overlook that the entire cargo bed of the CT is constrained to be between the wheels. Its only 51" wide at the bottom and 57" at the top. Outside of the wheel wells, the Ford bed is 62" wide top and bottom (5"and 11" wider respectively). Plus some added volume along the sides under the top rails.

Here is a good discussion of Cybertruck cargo bed with the best dimensions people (not just me) have been able to come up with:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/bed-dimensions-and-volume.10920/

CyberRich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 FS CT AWD, 2019 M3, 2018 M3, 2015 MS 70D
Country flag
Do this test a year from now after the CT software and battery management have been optimized, and it will do even better. M3 range improved after the first year.