Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Works on my end.
SO Tesla has deliberately broken its UI to customers outside the U.S. I’m in the nation of Panama. It is an asinine tech-ie way of handling a Tesla customer.

Did Tesla kill Human Factors when it canned its Marketing Dept.? Tesla joins VENMO who also cripples its UI for its customers outside the U.S.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
well, more than zero, which was the base case at CT announcement/reservation!

and while Ford stopped reservations, they’ll by then have either delivered or sealed configured orders for many buyers - including myself - who had reservations for both.

meanwhile, Chevy, GMC, Ram and possibly Toyota will have enticed some others to have a brand-loyalty wait, and even Rivian might still be around!

just saying, and I could be biased by my own experience, I think number of $100 refundable CT reservations made upwards of 4-5 years prior (including to SOL international buyers), all aided by the excitement at the prospect of a BEV truck whatsoever, strikes me as potentially soft data
Of course a fair percentage of Cybertruck reservations will cancel, the same thing happened with Model 3 reservations. However, with the Model 3 new orders outnumbered cancelled orders by at least 2 to 1 and that's why the Model 3 had a net gain in reservations, even after deliveries started happening in volume. The Cybertruck will be have similar growth in net reservations (total reservations minus cancelled reservations), but probably even stronger than that experienced by the Model 3 due to the more revolutionary aspects of the Cybertruck. The Model 3 was Much like a Honda or Toyota with an electric drivetrain, the Cybertruck has re-invented what a pick-up is and what it can do.

Your argument that "the competition is coming" is funny in the extreme to anyone who understands the dynamics of what's actually happening in the EV industry right now and, specifically, in the EV truck industry. The true competition for the Cybertruck and other EV pickups is almost 100% gasoline and diesel trucks and they are already here. Cybertruck will primarily erode sales of ICE vehicles because they make up over 99% of all pickup sales, not other EV pickups which will sell in whatever volume manufacturers are able to make for years to come. The competition of ICE trucks existed when the Cybertruck reservations were made so your analysis is not accurate. Net reservations of Cybertruck will grow over time, at least until Tesla is able to ramp production high enough to start reducing unmet demand.

The early production Cybertrucks will cause demand to skyrocket as other new truck truck buyers are able to see Cybertrucks recently purchased by friends, family and work mates and are able to talk to owners about their many advantages and capabilities, and their low total cost of ownership compared to a gasoline or diesel truck. Demand for legacy trucks will collapse. Sure, there will still buyers of legacy trucks, just not nearly as many. Those buyers of legacy trucks will fall into two broad categories:

1) Truck buyers who have a preconcieved notion of what a truck "should" look like and who don't want to change or are not able to change their narrow ideas.

2) Truck buyers who would buy a Cybertruck but don't want to wait multiple years for their turn to come up.

There will also be a smaller number of people who need to tow on the Interstate, between different states, and who don't want to mess with charging them on the road and who have money to burn (literally), or who want to fit an existing canopy or camper that is only compatible with legacy trucks.

When I say legacy truck sales will collapse, I mean sales will drop by at least 20%, right off the bat, and continue year over year declines roughly inversely in line with the volume ramp up of Cybertruck (and to a much smaller degree, the F-150. I think any significant demand erosion caused by a GM truck is still a number of years away. Only a minority of Rivian sales will erode legacy trucks due to it's high price and somewhat questionable truck credentials. Rivian will primarily sell EV trucks to people who otherwise would have bought an SUV.

This collapse in sales will negatively impact the economics of making and selling legacy trucks which will help accelerate the process. Eventually, as unprecedented demand for Cybertruck is filled, and volumes grow higher every year, the prices will drop which will simply continue the collapse of ICE trucks as those in category 1 (above) re-appraise their true needs and beliefs, and those in category 2 no longer have to wait.

OP
OP

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
This is just what we were looking for / very clearly applies to the nature of this thread. Thanks!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
AMC iconic WWII Jeep had the same problem back in early 1960’s. Look at them now! JEEP leads Stellantis stable, its strongest marque.
They also made the Pacer. At least the CT knocks my Gladiator out of the top three ugliest vehicles ever.
Sponsored