What are you going to get while you wait?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I watched Sandy Munro get a Rivian tour today and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I was also pretty impressed with the Chevy Silverado. I hope, after waiting for 3+ years for the Cybertruck it will be worth it. They better do some cool shit like these others are doing, because they will have had plenty of time to figure it out. I know I am just frustrated...

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
My Ford Expedition died! :(
Too much money and too long a time to get it fixed.
I was hoping twould last till CT was out but the Force said no.

Went out and got a lease on a Kia Nero EV. Nice car, good packaged stuff and pretty good quality.
First EV ever. WOW after driving this now for a while I aint going back to gas.
Feels weird getting into our other car, Mini countryman.

Kia has me drooling for the CT now. :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I watched Sandy Munro get a Rivian tour today and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I was also pretty impressed with the Chevy Silverado. I hope, after waiting for 3+ years for the Cybertruck it will be worth it. They better do some cool shit like these others are doing, because they will have had plenty of time to figure it out. I know I am just frustrated...
Tesla just need to hit the range, toughness, and performance they announced at launch day. (And get the price in the near ballpark). Comfortable seats and fast Supercharging are assumed.

The Rivian is super sexy, but I don’t need sexy, I need a comfortable way to get stuff from point A to point B.

I still don’t get the Silverado at all. But taste varies so…

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla just need to hit the range, toughness, and performance they announced at launch day. (And get the price in the near ballpark). Comfortable seats and fast Supercharging are assumed.

The Rivian is super sexy, but I don’t need sexy, I need a comfortable way to get stuff from point A to point B.

I do not care about sexy. Pure functionality. I would never give up my CT reservation because I live in an area where salt air destroys cars and the stainless, whether 3mm or not, grabbed my attention from the get go. But the Rivian has some nice features that Tesla could implement that are tiny things compared to 4-wheel steering or 4-wheel independent motors. I see the companies all leap-frogging on functionality. CT was first, then Rivian, then Ford, then GM/Silverado. It will eventually come back to Tesla/CT, when they finally start making vehicles for delivery, and then we will find out. Sadly probably not before then.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do not care about sexy. Pure functionality. I would never give up my CT reservation because I live in an area where salt air destroys cars and the stainless, whether 3mm or not, grabbed my attention from the get go. But the Rivian has some nice features that Tesla could implement that are tiny things compared to 4-wheel steering or 4-wheel independent motors. I see the companies all leap-frogging on functionality. CT was first, then Rivian, then Ford, then GM/Silverado. It will eventually come back to Tesla/CT, when they finally start making vehicles for delivery, and then we will find out. Sadly probably not before then.
I’m sure it’ll be the same as it has been for the last year or so. Little dribs and drabs for the next year.

I’m very curious if there will be another Cybertruck event or not before they actually start shipping trucks.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

I put down the $100 for the Silverado, too. Because what I want is something that can carry the things I need, and it can do that. Comfortable doesn't really come into the picture.

-Crissa

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I saw the Ford Maverick in the wild, for the first time, it looked good. However, I think i'll stick with my 2017 Toyota Yaris and 98 Ranger until the Cybertruck comes out, the Toyota could probably last another 15 years.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I saw the Ford Maverick in the wild, for the first time, it looked good. However, I think i'll stick with my 2017 Toyota Yaris and 98 Ranger until the Cybertruck comes out, the Toyota could probably last another 15 years.
It is super frustrating seeing Toyota, Honda, and Subaru so far behind in transitioning to EVs.

Some of the best auto brands and it feels like they are going to be left in the dark.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It is super frustrating seeing Toyota, Honda, and Subaru so far behind in transitioning to EVs.

Some of the best auto brands and it feels like they are going to be left in the dark.
Apparently their idea light bulb was/is broken… Sometimes bulbs just blow. Hopefully they’ll get their bulb changed out sooner rather than later. Too many stabbed toes and bruised shins walking around in the dark.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, I've pointed out a few times that on a paper napkin view, the amount of sheer metal for batteries is daunting. All of these are Japanese companies without access to lithium reserves. They have the technology - but the supply chain looks too expensive to take advantage of from their point on the globe.

The same paper napkin makes one person buckle down and do it (Elon) and makes others continue looking for other solutions.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, I've pointed out a few times that on a paper napkin view, the amount of sheer metal for batteries is daunting. All of these are Japanese companies without access to lithium reserves. They have the technology - but the supply chain looks too expensive to take advantage of from their point on the globe.

The same paper napkin makes one person buckle down and do it (Elon) and makes others continue looking for other solutions.

-Crissa
This points out another limitation in the mindset of many of these older companies though.

Tesla is trying to build vehicles and source materials as near as possible to the end point of consumption. So Toyota wouldn’t have any more or less resource constraints than Tesla because they will be selling into the exact same markets.

While Japan doesn’t have these minerals, the US does, and there are other places in Asia which do.