What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I test drove the Model Y in Seattle with a yoke steering. I loved it. Not only did it look good but even with sharp turns was manageable. I look forward to a yoke on the Cybertruck. My next question would be is how would you have a manual shift without a clutch and tranny?
Tesla instead of a full gearbox with multiple gears, Tesla ships with a gear reducer for their transmission (2 for the dual, 3 for the tri). There is no need to shift since the electric motors have torque at all speeds. Reverse is just the same motor running backwards.
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I test drove the Model Y in Seattle with a yoke steering. I loved it. Not only did it look good but even with sharp turns was manageable. I look forward to a yoke on the Cybertruck. My next question would be is how would you have a manual shift without a clutch and tranny?
Methinks he's talking about shifting from drive to reverse, or park.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The minimalist interior is one of the features that I love about our Model Y. Cleaning the dash area is super easy and quick.

Looking forward to my Cybertruck. Tesla sums it up the best;

Better utility than a truck with more performance than a sports car.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In my mind, TESLA is a lot more then a car "hardware" company. Software and AI is a big part of it. Including energy management and storage. I wish SpaceX was part of it. Perhaps TESLA investors will have a first shot at investing in SpaceX. I will buy a TESLA phone when they are available.

See these numbers, they are going north...

14 Oct 2021 TSLA.png
From Oct 14 2021 at 9:45 AM to yesterday at end of day the 19 Oct Tesla Market Cap has grown by ~47.685B. That is amazing... now trading at $864.27 US

See this talk Tesla Stock Is About To AWAKEN (warning) ? - YouTube
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla stock really improved in the last week. My Tesla stock purchase in 2018 at $165 per share is looking better and better?

Elon revealed that Tesla was only a month away from declaring bankruptcy in 2018. Revenue from the Model 3 literally saved the company.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I love minimalist
Until it is missing something I want.
?
Remember “Cyber”

Cybertruck should be the ultimate Plug’N Play(PnP). You’ll be able to patch into Tesla computer, custom build whatever your heart desires with LCD display switch banks that you control by touch rather than look first, click —> Swoosh.
LCD display switch banks can be dedicated or dynamic changing icons to suit the configuration as you select. Yes you can have knobs, potentiometers for dialing-in all integrated with Tesla.
Tesla Cybertruck What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck? EE5EFFBA-FFEE-4C58-9BDD-4A680EB83919

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
My next question would be is how would you have a manual shift without a clutch and tranny?
Modulated throttle mapping by speed is my final answer.

Rock crawlers have this system which eliminates throttle bounce through the roughs by widening accelerator pedal range of response slower it goes.

That exactly matches the degree of feel wanted in EV too. Faster speeds there might emerge artifice to simulate gearing and shifts.

Shifts are more easily faked by sending pause, jump +20v down to the motors upon shift(i.e. paddle).

Manual gear select is complex but worthy endeavor for working trucks that hold constant speed under load. Drivers excel at matching gear to torque at speed. Mowing, raking, towing, pushing and snowing conditions all trigger the “shifting impulse” in adults of a certain age.

Of course, electronics, AI and robotics integrated nullify old dog special tricks! But there are mountain grades where being “in a gear” carries a margin of operating safety, particularly towing. So its worthy endeavor.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
From Oct 14 2021 at 9:45 AM to yesterday at end of day the 19 Oct Tesla Market Cap has grown by ~47.685B. That is amazing... now trading at $864.27 US

See this talk Tesla Stock Is About To AWAKEN (warning) ? - YouTube
Any thoughts?
I posted about this a while ago. Tesla has been planting a little orchard of money trees (aka Giga-plants) and they are about to bear fruit.

Wish I’d acted a little more aggressively myself.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I have been meaning to respond to a yoke thread, but couldn't they make spinning knob for maneuvering in parking lots etc. I would think that is the only time the yoke would be a problem. Our 1932 Model A has one. Tesla could one up the model A by having the knob pop up and down like the cell phone holders.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have been meaning to respond to a yoke thread, but couldn't they make spinning knob for maneuvering in parking lots etc. I would think that is the only time the yoke would be a problem. Our 1932 Model A has one. Tesla could one up the model A by having the knob pop up and down like the cell phone holders.
I’m pretty sure those knobs were used almost exclusively on vehicles without power steering where you had to really crank the hell out of them to do tight steering. We had a tractor with one.

Power steering killed the knob, I don’t think the yoke is going to respawn its use.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Out lawed in most states is the “Spinner”, colloquially named, attached to rim. It breaks knuckles and wrists easily when steering force snaps backwards into the drivers hands.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
.. like the different readouts that my Chevrolet Volt has. I am pretty sure I will miss this functionality in the CT.
Here is a readout I noticed on our M3. What makes you think that a gauge would be better than this?

Tesla Cybertruck What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck? IMG_6670
Sponsored