What price point will you cancel your order?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The answer isn't whether we would pay a price - but whether 250k people a year will.

-Crissa
You are right @Crissa, we hear having been waiting, discussing, arguing, hoping, etc together for several years. I find it hard to believe that ‘we’ wouldn’t go the distance. But Elon/Tesla wanted to disrupt the pickup truck market so it has to be price competitive with full sized ICE pickups.
Sponsored

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
honestly i am not sure... odds are good my breaking point is about 90k... above that and i may not buy. HOWEVER a huge part for me is range; I want the tri moter not for the performance but for the range!

If the range gets up around 600 miles <feasable with some of the newer battery tech> i could well go above 90k.. I keep my cars a LONG time (15 years or more) so saving a few K to get something that won't last that long seems silly.. spend the extra up front and in the long run you will be better off.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
That's what created this discussion. Elon's statement of difficulties making it affordable, his questioning on demand, and that he said it will be relatively small in the grand scheme of things for Tesla, which is a massive departure from his previous statements.
actually I think he IS worried about demand... the pre orders are cheap and refundable who knows how many will pan out.. he is VERY sensitive to bad press and it makes him doubt things at times.. he has the brass ones to stick to his guns and press on anyway; but with all the it's not really a truck articles and people saying it will never really sell... he HAS to wonder do the people that are going to buy believe it is super kewl or it is dumb.

Honestly I know i love it.. and would love to get one.. but I know just as many that hate it... so who knows what demand will really be... honestly i think the issue they are going to have is that 250k a year isn't going to be enough of em.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
To the OP: for me personally, a 380 mile dual motor CT (range = a 350 mile RIvian) needs to come in below $80k with FSD (i.e. $73k without FSD since I locked in at $6k). Above that and I go with the dual motor R1T which I like a lot. That is the trade I will personally make. YMMV.

FrankMcEnnis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Express, Cj5, Rockcrawler
Country flag
For the dual, if it's over 55K$ (70 000$cad in Quebec because tesla canadian price are almost all the time the exchange rate + 5K$cad) I cannot aford it.

Unless the tsla share are over 450$:rolleyes:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
That's what created this discussion. Elon's statement of difficulties making it affordable,
That doesn't mean they can't or didn't

his questioning on demand, and that he said it will be relatively small in the grand scheme of things for Tesla, which is a massive departure from his previous statements.
Well 250k/yr when the goal is 20M/yr for all products combined is relatively small.

To your original question. $77k with FSD for the 500+ mile variant.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Just curious what everyone's opinion is on how much you are willing to pay for a CT before saying it's not worth it.
I reserved a Tri-Motor, 500 mile range version. I kinda of expected paying $79,000+
But that was in 2019. We have had massive inflation since then.

I am still in at $89,000.

Over $100,000 and I am out.

Steven

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y DMLR
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Country flag
I reserved the dual motor for $49,900 and I believe they can deliver. That’s what all this talk about a compelling reasonably priced CT would be.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
You are right @Crissa, we hear having been waiting, discussing, arguing, hoping, etc together for several years. I find it hard to believe that ‘we’ wouldn’t go the distance. But Elon/Tesla wanted to disrupt the pickup truck market so it has to be price competitive with full sized ICE pickups.
I ordered the 2 motor option @ $49,900 US & I'll willing to go too $60,000 US, since in Canada it would be closes to $80,000 Canadian, which is my budget.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I believe the initial launch will to be over $80k because of competitive pricing (Ford, Rivian) and the fact that Tesla didn't submit the CT to the IRS to qualify for tax breaks this year or next year, but that doesn't mean there won't be a lower cost version released. Will that make you cancel? Or are you expecting the top trim/Plaid version for 80k?
You are not wrong about the Rivian and the Lightning pricing.

I don't expect a "lower" priced Cybertruck out of the gate....I would guess every CT delivered in 2024 will be over $80,000.

The 2023 Tesla Model X starts at ~$98,000. Model S starts at ~$89,000. (subject to change) so we know Tesla is not shy about charging "market rate" for their vehicles.

Model X $98,000
Model S $89,000
CyberT $89,000 ?

But I could be totally wrong and it comes out at $100,000.....

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
If the range gets up around 600 miles <feasable with some of the newer battery tech> i could well go above 90k.. I keep my cars a LONG time (15 years or more) so saving a few K to get something that won't last that long seems silly.. spend the extra up front and in the long run you will be better off.
For 600 miles Tesla would need well over 200kwh of battery in the CT. I think that's unrealistic, but if it did happen, it would be expensive.
Sponsored