Where to find Alon glass for testing?

tomasrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
Anybody know what thickness Alon glass Cybertruck uses & where I can buy it? I want to shoot it with a gun to see just how "armored" Tesla Armor Glass is. I also wsnt to throw a steel ball at it. Thanks.

Tesla Cybertruck Where to find Alon glass for testing? Tesmanian Cybertruck
Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-armor-glass-patent/

They aren't too exact with the thickness, are they? Somewhere between 3 and 7ish mm.

You can't buy it as it is Tesla proprietary for the time being. Unless you buy a car with it equipped.

Also, at no point that I am aware of has any patent (or Tesla) claimed that the glass is "bullet proof". That was the 3mm 30X stainless steel, not the glass. The patent states the glass is highly resistant to pitting, run-away cracks, thermal cycling, and blunt strikes. A bullet is not a blunt strike in this case. They are talking about rocks being kicked up, not bullets.

pg 15-16 of PCT/US2020/061326:
"...soda lime stack has a 10% chance of failure when struck by a projectile with 1.4J of impact energy while the borosilicate stack has the same 10% chance of failure when struck by a projectile with much higher impact energy at 3.9J."
In this case, the borosilicate stack is the armor glass patent topic.
For referrence a 9mm round with a mass of 8g at around 1100 ft/s will pack around 450J of energy, assuming I remember my math.

KE = 1/2 mv^2
1/2 * 0.008kg * 335.28 m/s ^2 = 449.65J

Cheers!

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
out of curiousity, here is the math for a 3in ball bearing to reach that 10% threshold:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2
KE / v^2 = 1/2 * m
v^2 = KE / [1/2 * m]
v = sqrt( KE / [1/2 * m]

SO, how fast would the ball need to be to get to that 10%... a 3" ball bearing is around 4lbs, or 1.814kg

sqrt(3.9J / [1/2 * 1.814kg])
2.07 m/s or about 4.5 mph,.... that's a slow throw, but throwing a 4lbs ball bearing a whole lot faster than that would require a pretty strong arm... I think a professional baseball pitcher can do something like 80-90J in a throw, which is pretty crazy!

Cheers.

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Wish it was in the Tesla Model X. Windshield cause: deer. Front end was ditch afterward.

Tesla Cybertruck Where to find Alon glass for testing? YxJy8tF

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-armor-glass-patent/

They aren't too exact with the thickness, are they? Somewhere between 3 and 7ish mm.

You can't buy it as it is Tesla proprietary for the time being. Unless you buy a car with it equipped.

Also, at no point that I am aware of has any patent (or Tesla) claimed that the glass is "bullet proof". That was the 3mm 30X stainless steel, not the glass. The patent states the glass is highly resistant to pitting, run-away cracks, thermal cycling, and blunt strikes. A bullet is not a blunt strike in this case. They are talking about rocks being kicked up, not bullets.

pg 15-16 of PCT/US2020/061326:
"...soda lime stack has a 10% chance of failure when struck by a projectile with 1.4J of impact energy while the borosilicate stack has the same 10% chance of failure when struck by a projectile with much higher impact energy at 3.9J."
In this case, the borosilicate stack is the armor glass patent topic.
For referrence a 9mm round with a mass of 8g at around 1100 ft/s will pack around 450J of energy, assuming I remember my math.

KE = 1/2 mv^2
1/2 * 0.008kg * 335.28 m/s ^2 = 449.65J

Cheers!
I have read several blurbs and seen several YouTube videos that say that Alon at 1” thick is bulletproof. I do not have links. It is certain that the Cybertruck glass will not be 1” thick and thus not bulletproof. We have seen a demo at the Cybertruck unveiling where steel balls of various sizes were dropped onto about a 4 square feet piece of Alon from different heights and bounced. My understanding from said articles and videos is that Alon is quite expensive and I do not have a source.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Alon can be bulletproof.... The Tesla patent is not for Alon ( aluminum oxynitrite) it is for borosilicate glass ( pyrex cookware)stacked with an energy absorbing gluing membrane to an inner layer of chemically strengthen glass ( gorilla glass).
They don't say what the inner glass is but it is probably alkali-aluminosilicate aka gorilla glass.
Alon would be awesome but it is unlikely on vision windows. It has a higher refractive index and its light transmission is only 80%. It would be most perfect for the roof since refraction doesn't matter and it transmits IR.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If it were true Alum, we could fill the CT with fish !!!

*** Free trip to Mars for the first person who gets it :D

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
If it were true Alum, we could fill the CT with fish !!!

*** Free trip to Mars for the first person who gets it :D
You mean save the whales? They're mammals not fish. PM me my ticket pls, if it 1 way I know exactly who I'm going to gift it too. Lol ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Jbee is declared the winner .

Tesla Cybertruck Where to find Alon glass for testing? 1671419762499

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

' McCoy wonders how they'll make the whale tank. Scott says he'd normally do it with transparent aluminum '

ALUM

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You younger generation love to test everything. Us oldies are fine without testing because we don’t use it to the extremes.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
HBO has all ten Star Trek (Prime Universe) movies available right now. I just recently rewatched them all. The 2nd time through a question occurred to me, why did the whale tank have to be transparent?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I know. I wondered the same thing.

I had watched it that long ago, I thought I had forgotten that detail. lol