Why Are You Buying a Cybertruck?

CTInProcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Everything you just said is why I can't decide on whether to get a Lightning, Rivian or wait for the CT. Want something that can go off road and camp in. My wife and I are both introverts so the attention the CT attracts is a mark against it.
There is little difference between all of them. The Rivian is like an in between, the Lightning is more of the quiet get crap done type and the Cybertruck is the look at me type.

I would go test drive all of them before making a decision.
Sponsored

CTInProcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Wrong. Only some of the v3 superchargers support the open NACS protocol. Other V3 superchargers, V2 superchargers, and V1 superchargers will not work.
Ok it has limited access, still not a huge game changer.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I am getting it purely for the futuristic look with the SS, the technology with all the cool OTA updates and adapting to customer's needs over time, and being a truck so I can finely haul stuff around and not shove so much in my BMW.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The Cybertruck gives me the size and function of an SUV with the ability to do basic truck stuff. Transport bikes or ski stuff to the mountain, tow a small cargo trailer.
And itā€™s a Tesla/EV. I went Tesla x2 this year and traded in our gas cars. I canā€™t imagine driving anything else. Rivian is just slightly too small. The Ford is nice but I donā€™t trust their EV business/software like I do Tesla. So there you have it. A Truck that can be my truck/SuV and is a Tesla.
Easy call. The design truthfully doesnā€™t even sway me one way or another. If they would have made it more like a truck look, I would have still got it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
1. Lightning has full SC access. Rivian to follow.

The Lightning (and soon Rivian) will have access to 15,000 Supercharges, but not all.

2. Rivian was made to go off road. The Lightning will go off roading and take the abuse especially with the suspension setup. As far as abuse to the bodyā€¦ā€¦ One is costly to repair, one is pretty simple to repair and the other who knows because we havenā€™t seen reports of the two that were damaged and how much it would cost or if it was totaled.

Both have paint. Paint will pinstripe easily. CT's exterior won't.

3. This one is up in the air, the Cybertruck has the advantage of air suspension, how rugged itā€™ll be only time will tell. The Rivian has proven itself. The Lightning will require easy suspension mods but itā€™s not adjustable like the other two.

I like CT's higher ground clearance (17") vs Rivian's (14.9"). I prefer to avoid extra cost mods if possible.

4. Lightning is capable of class 6 4x4 trails again proven over the years. Same for Rivian. No one has taken the CT on class 6 to this point if I am not mistaken.

Without suspension mods the Lightning's ground clearance is only 8.4". That could be a problem on a Class 6 trail.

5. Put a Camper, open the rear glass on the Lightning and youā€™re set. Iā€™m pretty thatā€™s much cheaper than destroying the CTs back glass or the Rivians. Yes, you want to avoid it, no sure why when

Putting a camper on the Lightning makes it even less aerodynamic further reducing range. The only camper I would consider is the Cyberlandr.

6. The Lightning offers more cargo space, the Rivianā€¦.. not so much.

That's true overall, but CT's vault provides more secure, weather proof cargo space (55 cf).

But I look forward to your journey, you will be a pioneer in the Off Road Cybertruck world.

Thank you!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'm getting the Cybertruck for all these reasons:

For the Dual motor:
1. 3 mm all stainless steel body
2. Regenerative braking, brakes can last six times longer! Recharges battery when braking
3. Looks amazing
4. 16" OF GROUND CLEARANCE!!!
5. Quicker'n a greased pig
6. No oil changes
7. No radiator to start leaking
8. I know, I'm way over five reasons... no transmission to blow during rush hour on Friday
9. No water pump
10. No fuel pump
11. No exhaust pipe, muffler or catalytic converter
12. No more visits to the smog station
13. I can refuel at home
14. Tools are safe in the vault
15. No lead-acid battery that goes bad after 5 years What the frunk, man. I guess there is a 12 volt battery to run everything electronic
15.5: No door handles (shaved)
16. Factory SS skid plate
17. My phone is my key
18. Four wheel drive
19. Made in USA!!!
20. Same price as a comparable F 150 4x4 super crew
21. Won't rust all to hell like a certain F 150 it's replacing
22. 35" tires (are you kidding me?)
23. Room for me 'n five strippers
24. No fuel filter, air filter, oil filter (that's really three, but economizing here)
25. Adjustable air suspension
26. 100 cubic feet of secure vault storage
27. Glass roof!
28. Bullet proof/zombie apocalypse compatible
29. Never subsidize big oil again, no more gas stations, 'cept for chips
30. 110 volt and 220 volt -seriously?
31. Built in air compressor
32. 300 mile range (maybe I can upgrade to 400?)
33. Solar panels built in!
34. Million mile battery
35. Million mile motor
36. So bright cops will be blinded and won't ever want to pull you over.
37. OK, that last one was kinda bullshit, but you never have to worry about painting it
38. Lobster around the place with my exoskeleton
39. James Bond gonna be jealous
40. Low center of gravity for incredible handling
41. Dids won't be able to pick his nose without the whole goddam world seeing
42. You know Batman ordered one
43. You can use it to tow the Porsche 911 you just smoked on the 1/4 mile ?
44. I just want to see what the Frunk looks like, and how much shit I can stuff in there
45. Cybertruck knows utility rates are cheaper after midnight, starts charging at the best time
46. It wakes up an hour before I leave for work, to preheat the battery for optimal performance
47. Tesla
48. No head gasket to blow and ruin your day
49. All other trucks seem pathetic by comparison
50. Ramps are built into the tailgate
51. Hillary Clinton hates the Cybertruck
52. It's being cloned before production begins. (What?) How badass is your design when that happens?
54. You didn't even notice I skipped #53
55. You always kinda wanted a Delorean, and this light years better!
56. It'll be the first successful production stainless steel vehicle in the world
57. If you get tired of it... wait, no that'll never happen. That's insane
58. It has HVAC in the BED, people. Confimed. For keeping bait, fish and beer cool
59. No timing chain to break and ruin everything.
60. No "tune ups" to further drain the wallet
61. Carpool lane compatible, even if you're driving alone
62. Cold rolled steel is so much stronger than hot rolled.
63. OK. Whew, that's all I got. If I missed anything, please let me know. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know... in a month or so.

Disclaimer: I realize this list is outdated. It's from May 2020, so some of doesn't apply. But hey, at the time is was 100% (ish) šŸ˜ƒ

rcoleblack

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I'm getting the Cybertruck for all these reasons:

For the Dual motor:
1. 3 mm all stainless steel body
2. Regenerative braking, brakes can last six times longer! Recharges battery when braking
3. Looks amazing
4. 16" OF GROUND CLEARANCE!!!
5. Quicker'n a greased pig
6. No oil changes
7. No radiator to start leaking
8. I know, I'm way over five reasons... no transmission to blow during rush hour on Friday
9. No water pump
10. No fuel pump
11. No exhaust pipe, muffler or catalytic converter
12. No more visits to the smog station
13. I can refuel at home
14. Tools are safe in the vault
15. No lead-acid battery that goes bad after 5 years What the frunk, man. I guess there is a 12 volt battery to run everything electronic
15.5: No door handles (shaved)
16. Factory SS skid plate
17. My phone is my key
18. Four wheel drive
19. Made in USA!!!
20. Same price as a comparable F 150 4x4 super crew
21. Won't rust all to hell like a certain F 150 it's replacing
22. 35" tires (are you kidding me?)
23. Room for me 'n five strippers
24. No fuel filter, air filter, oil filter (that's really three, but economizing here)
25. Adjustable air suspension
26. 100 cubic feet of secure vault storage
27. Glass roof!
28. Bullet proof/zombie apocalypse compatible
29. Never subsidize big oil again, no more gas stations, 'cept for chips
30. 110 volt and 220 volt -seriously?
31. Built in air compressor
32. 300 mile range (maybe I can upgrade to 400?)
33. Solar panels built in!
34. Million mile battery
35. Million mile motor
36. So bright cops will be blinded and won't ever want to pull you over.
37. OK, that last one was kinda bullshit, but you never have to worry about painting it
38. Lobster around the place with my exoskeleton
39. James Bond gonna be jealous
40. Low center of gravity for incredible handling
41. Dids won't be able to pick his nose without the whole goddam world seeing
42. You know Batman ordered one
43. You can use it to tow the Porsche 911 you just smoked on the 1/4 mile ?
44. I just want to see what the Frunk looks like, and how much shit I can stuff in there
45. Cybertruck knows utility rates are cheaper after midnight, starts charging at the best time
46. It wakes up an hour before I leave for work, to preheat the battery for optimal performance
47. Tesla
48. No head gasket to blow and ruin your day
49. All other trucks seem pathetic by comparison
50. Ramps are built into the tailgate
51. Hillary Clinton hates the Cybertruck
52. It's being cloned before production begins. (What?) How badass is your design when that happens?
54. You didn't even notice I skipped #53
55. You always kinda wanted a Delorean, and this light years better!
56. It'll be the first successful production stainless steel vehicle in the world
57. If you get tired of it... wait, no that'll never happen. That's insane
58. It has HVAC in the BED, people. Confimed. For keeping bait, fish and beer cool
59. No timing chain to break and ruin everything.
60. No "tune ups" to further drain the wallet
61. Carpool lane compatible, even if you're driving alone
62. Cold rolled steel is so much stronger than hot rolled.
63. OK. Whew, that's all I got. If I missed anything, please let me know. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know... in a month or so.

Disclaimer: I realize this list is outdated. It's from May 2020, so some of doesn't apply. But hey, at the time is was 100% (ish) šŸ˜ƒ
Few missing - steer by wire, extra underneath storage in second row, cargo light, incredible sound systemā€¦ ok donā€™t worry - you get 10/10 for adding #23, and your entire list is absolutely not outdated! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I've been asked why I bought a Cybertruck. I have a Tesla Model Y as a daily driver with FSD, the Cybertruck barely fits in my garage, and there are other options for the utility of a pickup. It's a reasonable question.

I plan to use my CT as an adventure vehicle to experience America's off the beaten track wilderness. I'm through with overcrowded state and national parks and private campgrounds that often require campsite reservations months in advance. I like the freedom to go where I want, when I want.

The Cybertruck is the only all-electric vehicle that fits my needs; not the R1T, not the Hummer, not the F-150 Lightning.

1) Full Supercharger access (for long range road trips)
2) Able to stand up to off-road trail abuse (paintless stainless steel)
3) High, adjustable ground clearance
4) Capable of Class 6 4X4 trails
5) A secure, climate controlled place for two to sleep (vault) **
6) Large cargo/payload capacity

I want to avoid the need for a range stealing trailer or tent camper add-on (e.g., Space Campers Wedge, roof top tents, etc)

As an off road vehicle, it's essential to carry a spare tire (TSportline sells one for $800)

** A climate controlled sleeping space will require removing the rear window and pumping air from the cabin to the foot of the vault.

I'm sure others have similar plans or entirely different reasons for owning a Cybertruck. What's yours?
I'm buying CT as I badly need a truck for few things that I have been doing lately. Yesterday I was doing all sorts of circus to get over 8 feet of randomly shaped materials. I couldn't use ladder. So I had to use a wooden plank from the back my Porsche trunk to climb over stuff. I dinged and scratched my car's side panel while moving the ladder. I had to run a 100' cable to run an air drier machine as the materials were soaked in the rain storm. The tarp I had put on the materials was torn, and I couldn't use the nail gun because I had to run another wire to operate it. An Electric truck with adjustable suspension and power outlet would have saved the day for me.

To top it off, my Porsche showed service warning later, which generally makes me skip a heartbeat. Last service cost me 4K. Every alternate service is a major service that costs me around 3K - 4K. If something breaks, such as water leak from AC unit last year, I spend $350 for every hour of inspection + labor and material cost, and don't even get me started on the gas. I do full tank almost every week. That's around $500 gas every month. Time is money. The last thing I need is to sit in service station to repair a filter or gasket or some crap. My other BMW also had a similar issue few months ago.

There is another important reason I want to buy Cybertruck. Honestly, F150 Lightning is more than enough for me. Every business nowadays is about milking as much money as possible for the short term success. Don't get me wrong - Tesla also wants to make money, but they had every possible reason to make a traditional truck that could have beaten the rivals, and nobody would have questioned them. Did I ask for steel body? No. 48 volt architecture? No. Weird design? No. Rear wheel steering? No. Vaulted cargo? who cares? Look at the other trucks. Hospital grade filter? No. Steer by wire? F** No.

Tesla didn't do what everyone was doing - the easy way, and that gives me a hope that we humans are still bold, ambitious, innovative, creative, and futuristic. There is still a bright future to look forward to, and I want to be part of this future. This is the most important reason I'm getting CT.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Because I need something with a bed for the times I need to get an appliance, do renovations, etc... and I want electric only and I'll support Tesla as they're the ONLY reason legacy auto is going electric.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
There is little difference between all of them. The Rivian is like an in between, the Lightning is more of the quiet get crap done type and the Cybertruck is the look at me type.

I would go test drive all of them before making a decision.
The Rivian is like a Jeep and I don't want that.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I wanted to replace our last remaining ICE powered vehicle, a 2010 Ford F-150 with 57,000 miles on it.

We don't use it much, but we still have to have oil changes and filter services and it seems like they just keep happening sooner and sooner. It's on it's third starter battery too. It's amazing how much time we have spent, mostly getting it serviced (but also going to gas stations).

MaxTrap

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Silverado 3500, Aprilia RS660, Avalanche
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
Ordered CT first day because of our experience with the 2019 Model 3, Iā€™m an unabashed Elon Musk fan (recommend Isaacson biography), and the Avalanche was getting long in the tooth. I am going to use it to tow an enclosed 24ā€™ trailer to race tracks on the West Coast, replace the 3500 I bought while waiting, and very possibly be buried in it to await aliens searching for artifacts worthy of their museum šŸ˜
Sponsored