Why are you buying the Foundation Series model? Help me understand.

WoodChuckDad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram (270K miles), Nissan Rouge, Ford Escape
Occupation
geek
Country flag
What does the Foundation version offer that is worth an extra 20-30 K except a shorter delivery time. From a business standpoint, its genius. But from a consumer point It doesnt seem so great.
Full disclosure, I was planning to buy the 2 motor version. It’s out of my price range now. I still think the Cybertruck is awesome and hope to get one in the future.
Sponsored

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Well, for the thrills of original real ease ownership. But also the other options may be partitioned and may require purchase, so it’s an all inclusive package. Though the value of that package remains to be determined.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Last edited:

heems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y AWD, 2024 Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
A lot of people have already done the number breakdown. After adding everything up the foundation series is only like a few thousand premium when you include the PowerShare install which I was going to do anyways.
Came to say pretty much the same. The early access tax is about $4-5K for me. I was going to get FSD, larger wheels, white decor, the off-road liners, etc. anyways. The only questionable item for me is the powreshare stuff. I already have a PWC and 2 PowerWalls (plus SolarRoof). I figured if I upgrade my PWC and Gateway as part of this offer it's value add for my house that the next owner would want/enjoy. So yeah $5K to wait less. Grateful to be able to afford that tax.

Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
What does the Foundation version offer that is worth an extra 20-30 K except a shorter delivery time. From a business standpoint, its genius. But from a consumer point It doesnt seem so great.
Full disclosure, I was planning to buy the 2 motor version. It’s out of my price range now. I still think the Cybertruck is awesome and hope to get one in the future.
I don’t want to sound like a smart ass, but at the risk….. It’s their money! If they have the disposable income and want to, I’m sure that’s the reason. Early delivery is a big plus. People have been waiting 4 years so I get why.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That is enough of a reason, but it isn’t 20K if you had any intention of using some of the features. I signed up for FSD so now it is down to 13K (for me). Some of the power sharing stuff might be applicable to me so maybe I am down to $10K. Some of the add-ons are worth it to me so maybe I am down to $8K. Is $8K worth it for me to end the wait? YES.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t want to sound like a smart ass, but at the risk….. It’s their money! If they have the disposable income and want to, I’m sure that’s the reason. Early delivery is a big plus. People have been waiting 4 years so I get why.
Owning a car is not about disposable income, so the question is about the cost of [any] vehicle that meets our requirements. When I saw the FS prices I thought “would a Rivian R1T/S meet my needs?” And I did, to some extent, but I found them to be even more expensive. So, yes, it is more than Tesla originally told me, and the extra cost for FS is notable, but in the end it is still competitive with other, similar vehicles.

Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Owning a car is not about disposable income, so the question is about the cost of [any] vehicle that meets our requirements. When I saw the FS prices I thought “would a Rivian R1T/S meet my needs?” And I did, to some extent, but I found them to be even more expensive. So, yes, it is more than Tesla originally told me, and the extra cost for FS is notable, but in the end it is still competitive with other, similar vehicles.
No owning a car is not about disposable income, however what you pay for certain cars and or certain bells and whistles is about disposable income. If it wasn’t, everyone would have high end cars. Disposable income is about your wants, not necessarily what you need.

I don’t mean to tell people what to do with their money, but if you’re barely scraping by for a FE Cybertruck then you should probably reevaluate your purchase. (Not you, just speaking in hypotheticals.) Just my take and I think most would agree.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No owning a car is not about disposable income, however what you pay for certain cars and or certain bells and whistles is about disposable income. If it wasn’t, everyone would have high end cars. Disposable income is about your wants, not necessarily what you need.

I don’t mean to tell people what to do with their money, but if you’re barely scraping by for a FE Cybertruck then you should probably reevaluate your purchase. (Not you, just speaking in hypotheticals.) Just my take and I think most would agree.
I do agree, and my response said so. You decide what you need, shop around, and make a choice. Few people are going to be happy doing that work and then finding out that they have to spend $N outside the window.

OP
OP

WoodChuckDad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram (270K miles), Nissan Rouge, Ford Escape
Occupation
geek
Country flag
I appreciate all the responses. I don't begrudge anyone spending their money any way they want. I hadn't looked into the value add items. I just saw “special edition” with a $20k price tag. And I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I understand “I want it now” but not for $20k. I ain't that big a fish.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I appreciate all the responses. I don't begrudge anyone spending their money any way they want. I hadn't looked into the value add items. I just saw “special edition” with a $20k price tag. And I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I understand “I want it now” but not for $20k. I ain't that big a fish.
Some people wanted the included stuff anyway.

Some other people are happy to have the included stuff anyway, to possibly** get it sooner.

Some other people make $120K/mo, so why not.

**im increasingly feeling awkward for people who ordered a Foundation Cyberbeast based on thinking they will be getting a Cybertruck earlier than most others. A Cyberbeast earlier, sure. But there will be many people getting Cybertrucks before the last of the Foundation Cyberbeasts are delivered.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Powershare. Getting those items make it worth it. Having that extra battery bank in addition to my campground bank will allow me so much utility, and less batteries doing nothing but sitting there. I would have had to buy more batteries at another 15-20k. Now I don't.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
For me, the Foundation saves money versus waiting for a year. Here is why:
$79k + FSD $7k + PowerShare / Charger + other options I would have bought but not those (e.g. white trim) I would not have bought = $92k. Sold my R1S for $85k. If I had waited a year and eaten the depreciation on the Rivian it would have cost me much more than the incremental $7k price premium for a Foundation Series.

Different situations for different folks.
Sponsored