Are you a CyberTruck reservation holder who made multiple reservations and why?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Not only would it look bad if Tesla were to raise prices (see the furor Rivian had)...

...It changes the perception of the trucks. Too many people think Teslas are super-expensive, even when compared to similarly capable vehicles, they are not. Even with the raised prices!

And that'll hurt them when they can and will want to lower prices to penetrate other markets.

-Crissa
Rivian preorder deposit was 10x Tesla. The wait for first deliveries was also shorter I believe. I think the expectation is a little different with Tesla. Rivian attempted to raise prices before inflation truly set in and did it really badly. They are screwed. What do they do now?

Whatever pricing Tesla ends up with I am sure it will appear to be a value compared to Rivian and the others. Tesla has played it pretty smart so far by not talking about it. Just some hints about how hard they are working to contain cost.

It is funny how a few people with early reservation # say they just need to honor prices for the first xxxxx and screw the rest?? Somehow Tesla has to set the price and bench mark to something while the back of the backlog is filled. Setting a price for a 3 year period is tough and dangerous.

I want reveal pricing, $3000 stock prices, 4WS, an option to extend range on the CT2, I want to halt CO2 emission ASAP. I want a CT in the driveway now.

Telsa wants the same but there will be some compromise.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I agree Tesla should eventually try to capture the ICE truck market. We have a long way to go before Tesla/Ford/xx even has the capacity to supply the entire truck market. So why underprice now? Prices will drop relatively.

If good batteries get down to $50 per kWhr EVs should kill off ICE based on TCO. EV are simpler to build with fewer parts/systems. Competition will drive margins down. Tesla doesn't have to do it alone.

I'm all in on many of his ventures and find this Twitter fixation very annoying. Allowing some to pollute to save money at the expense of the environment and the many sucks so hard. The carbon tax would accelerate the transition. They should have started to phase it in years ago. Manufacturing capacity for EV would be 2-3x what it is now.
Underprice? How about price a limited production vehicle so that it is affordable to more people? That was the original intent when the CyberTruck was announced in 2019, right?

I did a road trip to the North Coast of California this past weekend and even here in Ca, I was driving in a sea of ICE ... vehicles. A broader adoption of EV's across the socioeconomic scale is important and a $39K CyberTruck, distributed through a sequential reservation system is a brilliant way to broaden adoption in the middleclass truck driving market segment. Tesla's profit margins are high enough to support the original or at most material cost adjusted pricing.

BTW, with home and Super charging my total energy spend to drive 620 miles round trip was approximately $25 and that was with an external bike rack with 2 60lb ebikes costing me about a 20% range penalty on my Model Y and, I drove at my usual fast pace. EV adoption is good for the planet and good for your budget. Total on the road charge time for the trip was 40 minutes (2 charge sessions at 20 min/ea).

The Tesla Charge Stats app says I saved $317.00 vs ICE in last 31 days,

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree Tesla should eventually try to capture the ICE truck market. We have a long way to go before Tesla/Ford/xx even has the capacity to supply the entire truck market. So why underprice now? Prices will drop relatively.
I don’t know what you mean by “Underprice” in this context.

I know there is a lot of interest in the nerd world* for the Cybertruck. Lots of white collar people with incomes well into 6 figures eyeballing them right now. I see a lot of retirees with big savings accounts talking about owning a wonder truck too. But the truck market includes a hell of a lot of people who regularly break a sweat for a living and need a truck to help them get their job done.

Those people aren’t going to buy a truck with a base price of $70,000. If you are going to attract a 40 year old contractor to buy a Cybertruck, the price needs to be competitive. Particularly since work trucks often have accessories which increase the price.

Tesla didn’t pitch the Cybertruck as a product to skim the cream off the top of the truck market. They pitched it right at the center of the truck market.

* I make my living pushing bits, not being insulting here.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

I know there is a lot of interest in the nerd world* for the Cybertruck. Lots of white collar people with incomes well into 6 figures eyeballing them right now. I see a lot of retirees with big savings accounts talking about owning a wonder truck too. But the truck market includes a hell of a lot of people who regularly break a sweat for a living and need a truck to help them get their job done.

Those people aren’t going to buy a truck with a base price of $70,000. If you are going to attract a 40 year old contractor to buy a Cybertruck, the price needs to be competitive. Particularly since work trucks often have accessories which increase the price.

Tesla didn’t pitch the Cybertruck as a product to skim the cream off the top of the truck market. They pitched it right at the center of the truck market.

Most independent contractors I know have the $70,000 truck. Sure if they have a fleet they buy the basic models. Many contractors are going with reimbursement choice as a benefit to their foreman/key people, so those guys get the well spec'd truck as well.

We are really on the same page. I still think the CT2 will be less than $60k. Gouging would be foolish for Tesla, except maybe the Plaid. For some people paying a premium and being part of a limited set is worth it. How boring would it be to have 1,000,000 Plaids on the road.

*I am assuming the insult comment is a remnant?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Most independent contractors I know have the $70,000 truck.
I see a pretty broad spectrum. Some drive around with 15 year old trucks they keep together with bailing wire. Lots of middle-of the road ones. Maybe because I’m in a smaller city?

Seems like the further you get from bigger cities, the less common the top end trucks are.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
There may be some flippers....if the Cybertruck ever gets into customers hands.

It is still very vague when the average Joe that has reservation # 300,000 will get his Cybertruck. 2025? If production starts fall of 2023, and they build about 150,000 in 2024. By they time he/she gets their Cybertruck in 2025, they price will be a lot higher, and Ford will be making quite a few trucks by 2025, so will Silverado, and Rivian. If a flipper gets $10,000 for his efforts in 2025, more power to him. It won't matter too much.

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I see a pretty broad spectrum. Some drive around with 15 year old trucks they keep together with bailing wire. Lots of middle-of the road ones. Maybe because I’m in a smaller city?

Seems like the further you get from bigger cities, the less common the top end trucks are.
I agree, in our area most top of line p/u’s are business owners and retired farmers, always a few outliers of course, like weekend hobby farmers. Most p/u owners own mid to low cost rides and drive them 10-15 yrs then retire them to weekend use and loaners for friends. Midwest semi rural viewpoint.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

Underpriced would be more than 10% below comparable ev trucks.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
CT is going to be the most in-demand vehicle in existence. Some people will be waiting 5 years or more to get theirs. It would be extremely unfair for Tesla to allow people at the top of the list to buy 2, 3, or more trucks while others wait.

Surely Tesla will do something to prevent this. Why can't they just limit it to one truck per person? I know there are people on here who ordered "one for me, one for my son" etc, but is it really fair to fill those duplicate orders first?

It's in Tesla's interest to get the wait time down to something reasonable, THEN fill the duplicate orders.
A few people on the CT subreddit have commented that they preordered multiple CTs….some guy even mentioned he preordered 5. Like dafuq, if he’s not lying then he must be loaded.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Underpriced would be more than 10% below comparable ev trucks.
How is Rivian’s boutique truck pricing relevant to selling hundreds of thousands of trucks? Likewise, the over-priced offerings from legacy OEMs?

The “Electric truck” market is a niche. The truck market is huge. Tesla is not competing for a niche market. The Cybertruck is competing with the ICE F150 as much as it is the Rivian.

The Cybertruck was a broadside right into the meaty parts of GM and Ford’s profit centers. They aren’t going to limit themselves to a small corner of high end truck buyers. They are going to follow through on their attack on the center of the truck market.

Eco

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck
Occupation
business owner
Country flag
I find the possibility of speculators ("flippers") a unique twist in all this Cybertruck discussion. The wife and I bought Tesla's (MY,M3) in 2021 that are now, even with thousands of miles on them, purportedly worth 10-20% more than what we paid. I'm pretty sure that never, in the history of production automobiles has there been this degree of steady appreciation of purchased mass produced vehicles.

With the CyberTruck being such a unique and compelling vehicle with huge demand, it will probably have similar post purchase appreciation. Humans being the enterprising creatures we are see an opportunity in this supply demand issue and it's possible that some (perhaps many) with little or no interest in the product invest $100 a pop as a resale opportunity. There is likely another class of multi reservation holders who might see a buy 3 get one free (or cheap) as their modus operandi.

It would be great to know what percentage of the reservation holders are in this flipper category. I'm thinking the number percentage wise might be quite high (10-20%?). A larger deposit once production and deliverIes start would flush many non-capitalized flippers but in the case of the well heeled opportunists, it could be a fast cash grab opportunity. Another way to avoid this would to limit the number of private party reservations per person (2?) but that is very un-capitalist and I can't see Tesla doing that.

I never thought I'd see this phenomena with a production automobile ...

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
I have a 250,000 gap between my 1st and 2nd order, will sell the first, hopefully for more then I paid, and buy the latest version.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is funny how a few people with early reservation # say they just need to honor prices for the first xxxxx and screw the rest?
I think it's mostly a running gag, like John K saying they should skip orders before his ^-^

I hope they won't have to raise prices, but I expect the inflection point will be orders before last summer, when they erased the price expectations. Hopefully, they'll actually be able to lower prices when they get to those.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I have an early dual order and a tri in the 300k range. I wouldn’t mess with all that resell nonsense. It’s a shame to me that society stoops so low to profit off things they hardly put any work into while taking opportunities away from others.

My biggest gripe is with the commercialization and profiteering of the roofs over peoples heads. Reselling the CT early on would land near that. I can afford to do that but why would I want to so blatantly say screw your opportunity to someone else trying to get a great truck.
Sponsored