OP
futureproof

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This is why. Can't believe all you folks talking about a wanting a midgate/pass-thru didn't come up with this already. The roll away tonneau cover can't go down under the floor/seats anymore so it must be housed in the extended roof area now.
If this were the case then why still have a rear window at all? It would be as useless when the tonneau cover is rolled up as it is when the cover is extended. I seriously doubt Tesla would keep a largely or entirely non-functioning window.

Tesla Cybertruck Why extend the roof? JR photo
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rick Shepherd

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WTF?
Country flag
Structurally, it's finished, so this is likely to not change.

Reasons it might have moved:
  • More space for the bend of the tonneau.
  • Better debris resistance for the tonneau.
  • Space for the midgate.
  • Better structural angles, better cracking resistance (like the move of the power inlet).
  • Better aero when the tonneau is open.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why. But to troll Ogre's refrigerator is a good idea,

-Crissa
I'd like to add another theory: The solar roof option (assuming it happens) could enjoy more surface area.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'd like to add another theory: The solar roof option (assuming it happens) could enjoy more surface area.
It was supposed to be a solar tonneau. Elon has never entertained the idea of putting panels on the glass.

Still hope they put in support for solar, tho.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Aesthetics and balance of the roof sections is improved… So minor a change minimal an impact on function must be form. But I’ll leave room for a process guy to weigh-in. Mfg hasn’t had a say yet what up.

OP
OP
futureproof

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
When overall length was shortened ant the bed size kept long the way to do that was to shorten the frunk and shift all internal stuff forward. So it is not the roof moved backward, it's the seats moved forward.
If the overall length was shortened, and that was achieved by shortening the frunk, then there's no reason to shift anything forward. Just shorten the frunk. Done.

Its only if they shortened the frunk but kept the overall length the same would there be a need to shift the cab forward, to compensate for the shortened frunk.

But moreso, the distance from the rear edge of the rear doors to the rear wheel well appears to have not changed, so this counters the idea that the cab got shifted forward.

Also, while the truck bed may not be smaller, its opening clearly is. The cab did not shift forward. The roof was extended back.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I figured the roof overlap was to make the roll up vault cover a little smaller so it would retract more so they could do a mid gate.
I was thinking perhaps along the lines of what you mentioned above but actually store it directly under the overhang sort of like a roll up window blind rather than under the front end of the truck bed. This would eliminate all of the issues of the the cover impeding a mid-gate whether its rolled up or rolled out. It would also leave more space under the bed for who know what kind of stuff. This all assumes it can be rolled up rather tight while not hanging down overly far and yet remain durable enough.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was thinking perhaps along the lines of what you mentioned above but actually store it directly under the overhang sort of like a roll up window blind rather than under the front end of the truck bed. This would eliminate all of the issues of the the cover impeding a mid-gate whether its rolled up or rolled out. It would also leave more space under the bed for who know what kind of stuff. This all assumes it can be rolled up rather tight while not hanging down overly far and yet remain durable enough.
Wouldn't that get in the way of the back window?

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s too big. The container for a cover like that (strong enough you can stand on) needs to be at least 8-12 inches per side. As @Crissa suggests, it would block the already small back window.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Wouldn't that get in the way of the back window?

-Crissa
GatorTrax Electric Tonneau Cover 6.7ft
Canister The 11"x11" canister is compact and allows for maximum bed usage.
Supports heavy-loads up to 500 lbs.
https://gatorcovers.com/p/gatortrax-electric-tonneau-cover/v/ford/f150/2022/

Best back window is no back window. Backup cameras are better.

Even if did not have mid-gate, having rolling cover up at roof might significantly lower cost of rolling cover because of much shorter path and less material needed.

Mid-gate possible.

Old under bed location for Cybertruck rolling cover is now available for storage . Maybe a gear tunnel like Rivian or just large storage space accessible from below back seat?

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s not a good trade.

The loss of the window I could cope with. Having a goofy, difficult to access section of the bed up front I could not. The blue section at the bottom is super weird and compromised space.

Tesla Cybertruck Why extend the roof? 1649203190913

The slanted portion up front and the overhang is weird/ bad enough. Putting the cover up there would seriously screw up a lot of uses. If you are putting bikes or motorcycles in the vault, it’s effectively a 5 foot long bed which sucks.

Lots of other reasons, but for me that is bad enough.

OP
OP
futureproof

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Regarding the tonneau cover conflicting with the mid-gate, take another look at this video from the Reveal Day and note the position of the tonneau cover *inside* what would be the midgate while the cover is fully open:

Why can't the midgate fold forward with the tonneau cover inside of it? The tonneau cover already makes a 90deg corner in the process of opening/closing. Ergo it is flexible enough to make a 90 deg bend the other way as the mid-gate folds down. The tracks for the tonneau are already part of the would-be midgate.

Perhaps there need not be any conflict between the retractable tonneau and a folding midgate.

Note too - way back in 2019 they already had a fully functioning retractable tonneau cover (quite elegantly at that) without an extended roof.

I am not convinced that extending the roof had anything to do with the tonneau or the mid-gate, and think there must be another reason.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not convinced that extending the roof had anything to do with the tonneau or the mid-gate, and think there must be another reason.
Not convinced of that either. Just thinking of reasons why they would make this change which few are fond of.

Entirely possible (likely even) there is no midgate and this relates to something else.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Not convinced of that either. Just thinking of reasons why they would make this change which few are fond of.

Entirely possible (likely even) there is no midgate and this relates to something else.
Yes, it might relate to something else.
Some things of critical importance.

Cost
Long-term reliability
Manufacturing at massive scale

The under bed rolling cover implementation might be too expensive for building Cybertruck reasonable close to original prices and scaling volume to 500K+ a year.

Roof implementation of rolling cover might be part of keeping base Cybertuck under $55K ($54,999.99999) in the much more expensive REAL world of 2023 vs the PROJECTED (from 2019) of a cheap world of 2023.

High nickel prices not only affects Cybertruck battery cost but also the cost of the massive stainless steel exoskeleton body.

The massive no-paint dent-resistant rust-resistant stainless steel exoskeleton body is what really makes the Cybertruck unique from all other trucks and why I will wait as long as it takes.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is why. Can't believe all you folks talking about a wanting a midgate/pass-thru didn't come up with this already. The roll away tonneau cover can't go down under the floor/seats anymore so it must be housed in the extended roof area now.
The tonneau cover won’t fit under the roof area.

What I was talking about is making it shorter so it could tuck further into the floor letting them fold the midgate down.
Sponsored