Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Are you planning on doing that with the tailgate down? I need a 10 foot trailer for the Harley (Fatboy, softail frame) in order to get the back ramp up on it. Was shocked that it was a wee bit longer than 8 feet fender tip to fender tip.
I don't know. Having only brake fluid means I can lay the bike down no biggie, but I've been thinking tow hitch carrier.

Cruisers are much longer than sport/standard.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Why the Tesla Cybertruck will outsell the F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T 1637172386706

This is why Cybertruck is going to win the truck war at least in the near term.

That’s the Hummer battery, it gets a whopping 350 miles of range and weighs 3000 pounds. From the look of it, it is about 16 inches thick and 10 feet long and this is GM’s “State of the art” battery pack. Ford’s is likely as bad.

You can stack 4 Model Y battery packs up and it would still be smaller and likely lighter than this.

You couldn’t put this underneath a Cybertruck. There isn’t room. No wonder the Hummer looks like it does.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You can stack 4 Model Y battery packs up and it would still be smaller and likely lighter than this.

You couldn’t put this underneath a Cybertruck. There isn’t room. No wonder the Hummer looks like it does.
For comparison:
Tesla Cybertruck Why the Tesla Cybertruck will outsell the F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T 9B8630A4-2263-4670-B612-74AF45BC7753

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tesla-s-battery-pack-is-both-mysterious-and-alluring-work-in-progress

The modules are on 3.5" thick. The pack is a little thicker itself, but yeah. In the space the Hummer's battery pack, you could put four layers of 3/Y pack and have 328kWh instead of 200kWh.

And that's the battery pack dimensions Tesla had in 2017, and its current capacity. We need competition, but Tesla is literally ahead.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is the photo I was thinking of:

Tesla Cybertruck Why the Tesla Cybertruck will outsell the F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T 1637176146304

The structural pack is maybe 4” thick, 4 foot wide, and 7 foot long? (I’m not counting the flange on the outside) and they get 65 kWh in that bundle. I don’t know if they are stacking these or just spreading them out.

And GM is only getting 350 miles out of that beast. You could stuff 6 of these guys into that same space and drive the Cybertruck half way across the US.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
@cybertrucktruckguy you have been sorely missed!!! Once again you have a video that hits it out of the park! I can't wait to have you do a video about the 4 wheel steering.

For those who didn't want to sit through the full 30 minute video, here are my notes:

Why the CyberTruck will become the #1 pickup truck in the US and will stay there for a while

The Cybertruck will dominate once it is in production.
SUPPLY:
----Battery supply is going to seriously constrain all the competitors
----Pickup trucks will require larger battery packs
----In the next 1-4 years batteries will not be readily available to competitors
DEMAND:
----Existing full-size truck market is predominantly US based so no broad demand worldwide
----Limited number of competitors to Cybertruck - only 3-5 other brands
----Market groups that will contribute demand for Cybertruck
--------Full Size Suburban market
------------4 wheel steering to help park in tight spots, etc
--------FSD Believers
------------Believe Tesla will get FSD first
--------Full-Size Offroaders
------------Need full-size truck for hauling motorcycles, multiple passengers, other loads
------------Cybertruck is full-size and fully capable but can still be used for daily driver
------------Way more range and functionality than the competitors
--------Corrosion Sensitive
------------Areas with chemical de-icing tend to have vehicles that disintegrate quickly
------------Stainless steel of Cybertruck will last MUCH longer due to low corrosion
--------Towing Use
------------The tow rating is important
------------Only the tri-motor range will enable >200 mile towing
--------Love the Looks or Tesla Company
------------While some hate the looks, there are many who actually love the look
----------------Sci-Fi cues (Blade Runner etc)
------------Others may not love the looks but actually love the company
----------------Care about how Tesla is changing the world and want to contribute
----All the above groups will contribute demand that combined will outstrip competitors
----Tesla will be able to supply that demand
For the foreseeable future, Tesla is going to dominate the full size pickup market
One main reason is missing:
The dents and dings

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
1637172386706.jpeg

This is why Cybertruck is going to win the truck war at least in the near term.

That’s the Hummer battery, it gets a whopping 350 miles of range and weighs 3000 pounds. From the look of it, it is about 16 inches thick and 10 feet long and this is GM’s “State of the art” battery pack. Ford’s is likely as bad.

Dyyymmmmnnnn this thing is huge. You need a CT to carry this if something goes wrong with it. Which makes me wonder how it compares to CT pack if a cell goes bad. I assume CT has less cells(4680 is larger) so less of a chance of one going bad but am I correct in assuming all of CT's batteries are glued in one pack? and This one is in modules so you just have to replace that module not the whole pack, right?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Dyyymmmmnnnn this thing is huge. You need a CT to carry this if something goes wrong with it. Which makes me wonder how it compares to CT pack if a cell goes bad. I assume CT has less cells(4680 is larger) so less of a chance of one going bad but am I correct in assuming all of CT's batteries are glued in one pack? and This one is in modules so you just have to replace that module not the whole pack, right?
GM doesn’t use cylindrical cells, they use pouch style batteries. There are hundreds of pouch batteries. They are individually more energy dense, but by the time you package them up and containerize them they are bulkier.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
GM doesn’t use cylindrical cells, they use pouch style batteries. There are hundreds of pouch batteries. They are individually more energy dense, but by the time you package them up and containerize them they are bulkier.
From what I understand, the pouches are also more difficult to temperature regulate effectively.

Anyone taking bets on how long it will take for the first Hummer battery fire?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
From what I understand, the pouches are also more difficult to temperature regulate effectively.

Anyone taking bets on how long it will take for the first Hummer battery fire?
I wouldn’t be too worried about fires, but pouch style cells do have a lot of issues with heat. They tend to swell up and need to have extra space in their container or they will burst (FWIW, that’s bad).

They are good for uses where they are naturally contained (I think laptops use pouches?) and their energy density is a big advantage. The 4680 and the structural pack are leaps and bounds ahead in terms of battery design.

The crazy thing is, Tesla seems to be letting them loose on the world and letting their manufacturers produce them for anyone who wants them. They are more concerned with getting reliable sources for them than they are with protecting their invention.
Sponsored