Will a Second Round of Foundation Edition E-Mails go out on 12/15?

Do you think additional invites will go out tomorrow?

• Total voters

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
On 12/8 a batch of Foundation Edition order invites went out, and by now those lucky recipients have had a week to order or ignore it. Do you think additional invites will go out tomorrow to the next lucky batch of early reservation holders?
Sponsored

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My guess is they will keep sending invites til they have met whatever # of trucks they wish to sell as foundation editions. That limit may or may not have been reached.

MonkeyDeLuffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Occupation
Math In-and-Out
Country flag
I don't see why they want to stop building the Foundation version. Funded ramp-up + training + quality check, no-brainer from an economic perspective. The non-Foundation demand is not going anywhere in three months at least.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Strange, I never got an email nor my wife where we both have orders from first minute res 112.....I looked last week or was it 2 weeks ago, anyways, looked at my order under "manage" and saw I had the option to purchase Foundation series. Is everyone waiting for an email?

OP
OP
Fleetwood75

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Strange, I never got an email nor my wife where we both have orders from first minute res 112.....I looked last week or was it 2 weeks ago, anyways, looked at my order under "manage" and saw I had the option to purchase Foundation series. Is everyone waiting for an email?
Good thing you checked! Maybe the email got marked as spam? I checked just now under manage but I still have this:

Tesla Cybertruck Will a Second Round of Foundation Edition E-Mails go out on 12/15? 1702650557698

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
A forum member posted that he received an invitation to configure on the 13th Dec. Go figure...

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's 1000 units right? I don't see why they wouldn't push out those 1000.

I also don't see them having too many issues. Especially with people who want FSD because once you add the cost of that, and the lifetime premium connectivity, it doesn't seem all that more expensive depending on what "premium accessories" are included.

Even the white interior might cost a thousand or two more when we can start ordering.

If I wasn't in Canada and actually got one of these emails. I would base my decision on what accessories are included. If it's within a few thousand, I would get it just to have my truck earlier.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don't see why they want to stop building the Foundation version. Funded ramp-up + training + quality check, no-brainer from an economic perspective. The non-Foundation demand is not going anywhere in three months at least.
The foundation is mostly just spending a few thousand extra, after you include the fact that you aren't paying extra for FSD and premium connectivity, for the Foundation text on the truck, the beast picture, and having something that's limited.

To keep it going for too many vehicles, until people stop buying, I think that enters into a world where Tesla will be accused of just letting people pay more to get to the front of the line. You could argue that the first 1000 is already doing that and it kind of is, but at least it's limited to 1000. This allows Tesla to make a few million more, it allows people to show off their "Foundation" truck which doesn't mean much, and we can wait until they find any quality control issues before our trucks are sent out.

OP
OP
Fleetwood75

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Okay so now I’m just going to check my Tesla account every morning until I see that
I'm not ordering the foundation series. Wouldn't mind having it but my dual motor order up 30k from 2019 price and this would put it 50k over.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It's 1000 units right? I don't see why they wouldn't push out those 1000.
I think at one point the plan was 1000 units.

I also think that plans change.

and while I personally think the plan has, in fact, changed, at the very least, I don’t think anyone can justify banking on Tesla sticking to the 1000 unit run.

among several reasons for that view: if you were building only 1000 of these units for certain, you would advertise the hell out of that to the people, offered the ability to order. Even Tesla would provide that detail.

To keep it going for too many vehicles, until people stop buying, I think that enters into a world where Tesla will be accused of just letting people pay more to get to the front of the line.
They’re already pregnant with that

And, I notice that your two paragraphs are contradictory:

The foundation is mostly just spending a few thousand extra, after you include the fact that you aren't paying extra for FSD and premium connectivity, for the Foundation text on the truck, the beast picture, and having something that's limited.
If the Foundation isn’t getting much more value for Tesla (cash or halo), then why *wouldnt* they keep going in early production

again, meanwhile, I know for a fact that at some point before the delivery event the plan was for 1,000, but now I’m pretty sure than plan has changed. (And for the same reasons, could be changed again.)

If nothing else, Tesla not communicating clearly the Foundation run cap, is as clear a sign as anyone should need that they’re keeping their options open if nothing else.

Meanwhile, folks should not loose site of the potential regulatory and corporate financial consequences to Tesla of switching from these limited offer, limited edition, Foundation units instead to generally available normal course retail units.

Because corporations think in terms of quarters and not months/weeks, I’d expect to not see any shift from Foundarion order/deliveries to normal retail deliveries until after the end of a quarter - when Tesla feels ready, from a financials perspective, to realize the balance sheet hit of the historical CT capex/opex.

For these and other reasons, I think the available data best fits the (current) Tesla thinking of only offering Foundation orders/deliveries through the end of Q1 2024. By then they aspire to have enough (not a lot, but enough) production capacity to be more quickly selling/delivering normal retail units during Q2 so as to have revenue to offset the balance sheet hit from turning to true production.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
On 12/8 a batch of Foundation Edition order invites went out, and by now those lucky recipients have had a week to order or ignore it. Do you think additional invites will go out tomorrow to the next lucky batch of early reservation holders?
Hm… good question. I guess it depends on how many people accepted the offer and how quickly they can ramp production. It’s all about supply and demand.

Meanwhile Tesla is doing a deal with Uber to reach their goal of 1.8 million units sold globally. I hope they can do it.
Sponsored