Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Ok. I was wondering by the time the Cybertruck ships out to the first buyers in line, will it come with a new MCU3?

i like many felt the sting on the release of the MCU2 on my 2017 MS P100, which came out in 2018.

Do you hope that your CT will have MCU3, or how will you feel if your high in the reservation list and your new CT comes with MCU2, only to have it change later?
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I think that no matter what it comes with, within two years something 'new & improved' will be offered.

That's just the way it is. As you have experienced.

MCU3 is a real possibility by then.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Cell phones are the same way... do you buy right now or wait for the next BEST thing? Well, your phone is broken, that kind of ties your hands a bit but otherwise, eventually, you just have to purchase and understand you won't have the newest/best for long.

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I understand the cell phone Thing. But when your entire car depends on the central screen and software, should we have to pay to upgrade our MCU every few years like a disposal phone. If you paid over $75,000.00 for a truck, would you expect that it could be driven without having to replace the MCU after so called OTA updates slow it down and make it crash? Or, shouldn’t it be built to have parts easily replaced instead of replacing the entire screen unit?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
We live in a disposable society.

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • Banned
So your 75,000 Ct is disposable?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So your 75,000 Ct is disposable?
For lots of people they have to trade in every few years. For me if I had to have FSD with a new CPU, I'd probably replace the CPU Not the whole CT. I'm typing this using my old computer with Windows 7.

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Fair enough. For those of us who actually own a Tesla, it’s a little different

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Ok. I was wondering by the time the Cybertruck ships out to the first buyers in line, will it come with a new MCU3?

i like many felt the sting on the release of the MCU2 on my 2017 MS P100, which came out in 2018.

Do you hope that your CT will have MCU3, or how will you feel if your high in the reservation list and your new CT comes with MCU2, only to have it change later?
I didn’t really understand the MCU thing and thought it might be the same as HW3, which we have in our Model 3, so I looked it up. Apparently (please correct me if necessary) the MCU1 and MCU2 apply only to the Model S/X and HW3 handles both autopilot and the infotainment screen in the Model 3/Y. I suspect that the CT will go in the latter direction.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We live in a disposable society.
I would say this does not apply to the CT. They are making it from stainless steel, armor glass, and will have the new million mile battery....sound like they want you to have it for the long haul to me.

I agree though, technology does change rapidly and a vehicle so focused on tech needs to have upgrade paths for hardware as well as software.

TTz

First Name
TTz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I understand the cell phone Thing. But when your entire car depends on the central screen and software, should we have to pay to upgrade our MCU every few years like a disposal phone. If you paid over $75,000.00 for a truck, would you expect that it could be driven without having to replace the MCU after so called OTA updates slow it down and make it crash? Or, shouldn’t it be built to have parts easily replaced instead of replacing the entire screen unit?
Buy a $80million Gulfstream 650 and then watch them rollout the new G700. Its all relative!

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No it's not.

Seems you don't understand. Perhaps you are a non-Tesla Owner.

It's fine with me if the 2020 cars are better than the 2017 cars. We are all used to that. Ford, Chevy, Merc... what ever.

However, this is different.

It's one thing to buy a Tesla and be told "this is as old as the car will ever be", due to over the air updates. Well that is not true, they are worse after the updates. You have an old MCU, and Tesla forces you to update the car, and the updates remove functions of the car that you PAID for, and to make matters worse, the updates slow down the electronics of the car to the point where the screen freezes, and then you have to pay for an upgrade, which as it turns out only comes with a 2 year warranty. The entire car is software controlled. its not like we can elect not to use the screen.

This crap happened with Apple with them throttling the phones so you would need to buy a new one. They got sued for that too. A Tesla isn't a phone. We should not be forced to upgrade our cars without first knowing what the ramifications will be. Tesla vehicles are not "disposable items"

Tesla did a poor job of designing the first MCU. It doesn't have interchangeable parts that can be swapped out. The MCU2 is better and faster, but still can't be upgraded. This fact has been covered many times.

So the point is, you spend big money on a Tesla, and then see the car degrade due to over the air updates. You think you getting an improved car or better software or more features, but really what is happening is you car is being down graded. Some cars have had range removed unknowingly as well.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
No it's not.

Seems you don't understand. Perhaps you are a non-Tesla Owner.

It's fine with me if the 2020 cars are better than the 2017 cars. We are all used to that. Ford, Chevy, Merc... what ever.

However, this is different.

It's one thing to buy a Tesla and be told "this is as old as the car will ever be", due to over the air updates. Well that is not true, they are worse after the updates. You have an old MCU, and Tesla forces you to update the car, and the updates remove functions of the car that you PAID for, and to make matters worse, the updates slow down the electronics of the car to the point where the screen freezes, and then you have to pay for an upgrade, which as it turns out only comes with a 2 year warranty. The entire car is software controlled. its not like we can elect not to use the screen.

This crap happened with Apple with them throttling the phones so you would need to buy a new one. They got sued for that too. A Tesla isn't a phone. We should not be forced to upgrade our cars without first knowing what the ramifications will be. Tesla vehicles are not "disposable items"

Tesla did a poor job of designing the first MCU. It doesn't have interchangeable parts that can be swapped out. The MCU2 is better and faster, but still can't be upgraded. This fact has been covered many times.

So the point is, you spend big money on a Tesla, and then see the car degrade due to over the air updates. You think you getting an improved car or better software or more features, but really what is happening is you car is being down graded. Some cars have had range removed unknowingly as well.
You have every right to not apply new updates...its up to the user whether or not they apply them...in that respect, its like every other car sold, you are only going to get what you drove off the lot with. If you want the latest and greatest, you might be trading in a small piece of functionality. (only one i can think of off hand is the AM/FM radio removal).

Tesla was a young company when they created MC1. They have learned some things and will continue to do so. My 2013 Model S is still running strong on its original MC1 hardware, 7 years later (knock on wood 3x, fingers crossed!). You need to stop thinking of it as a car and think of it as a computer that has wheels. All computers get slower with age and in a relative nature to the newer ones on the market. Updates get applied, things get slower, rinse, repeat. The fact that i am still getting updates on my car is awesome, there isnt another car company still releasing updates or maps for head units built 7 years ago. Hell, Microsoft stopped updating windows 7 already and windows 10 came out in 2015!

Tesla isnt a 'typical' car company, people need to stop viewing them as one as they are rewriting all the rules along the way.

OP
OP
MUSK007

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Actually there are many stories out there where Tesla forces you to update. It’s not an option.
Sponsored