Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Regenshire

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As I said in an earlier post here every time this poll gets posted the answer always comes back indicating that less than 20% of respondents currently own a Tesla. This really surprises me. I would think every enthusiastic Tesla owner would have ordered one based on his experiences with the car(s) he has currently. So perhaps that is what the poll is saying: that only a relatively small segment of Tesla owners are enthusiastic enough to want a CT. That answer doesn't really satisfy me.
It doesn't make financial sense for all current Tesla owners to order the newest Tesla when it comes out, that would be crazy. Current Tesla owners are still a very small segment of all car owners, so there is a massive amount of potential to the non-Tesla crowd. I am very happy to see so many non-current Tesla owners on the forum. It reminds me a lot of the lead up to the Model 3 launch with all of the activity by first time owners on other forums. I remember digesting so much Tesla content in the couple years of waiting for the Model 3 in excitement of finally driving one.

I was surprised by the CyberTruck unveiling. Going into it, I was absolutely certain I was not going to pre-order one. I figured that the CyberTruck starting prices would be inline with the Model S and Model X starting price. At Model S/X price point I couldn't justify the purchase when I had just purchased the Model 3 in 2018. But when it came on stage I quickly fell in love with it, and the moment the price was announced at a much lower then I expected start point I put a reservation in. At that price it made sense, we could swing it and stay in budget.

Now my main issue is I want to justify the Tri-Motor version and get that range and those performance number, but that is a pretty big increase in cost.
Sponsored

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Jeep Laredo, 2012 jeep Patriot, and 2015 Kia Forte
Occupation
Security
Country flag
This will be my first electric vehicle and I cannot wait til it come out!

Cibrtrk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt, 2008 Mazda CX-9
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I bought a Chevy Volt in December 2013 . . . hit a deer with it in May 2019 and after my insurance company declared it totaled, I bought a Bolt. Really wanted a Model 3 but my Bolt was almost $20,000 less after rebates (and it's REALLY fun to drive). I've ordered two CyberTrucks and I'm sure I will drive one of those until I die. Here's an image I created showing all my electric cars . . . ;)

Tesla Cybertruck Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle? My Cars Scaled

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Reading through the forum, I notice a lot of comments that suggest some posters are not familiar with many of the features of existing Tesla models. This made me curious as to how many of you future CyberTruck owners that this will be your First Tesla or EV.

So, will this be your first foray into Electric Vehicles? Your First Tesla? If you have not owned a Tesla, have you ever tried a Tesla?

What are the EV specific features that most excite you?

What are the Tesla specific features that most excite you?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Living in North Central BC, I want an EV with snow clearance, hence the CT as opposed to a Model 3.... and it's a five hour drive for me to the next city of equivalent size to home, so I like the range of the Trimotor.

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
As I said in an earlier post here every time this poll gets posted the answer always comes back indicating that less than 20% of respondents currently own a Tesla. This really surprises me. I would think every enthusiastic Tesla owner would have ordered one based on his experiences with the car(s) he has currently. So perhaps that is what the poll is saying: that only a relatively small segment of Tesla owners are enthusiastic enough to want a CT. That answer doesn't really satisfy me.
I don't think the poll is inaccurate. I think you are seeing an influx of people who appreciate EVs, but the currently offered EVs didn't meet their needs/wants. I've seen the videos of the current Tesla models fording water and traveling on a fire trail but that is not the "off-roading" that people that love "off-roading" are talking about.

When I got my 4Runner (2016) I wasn't aware of the benefits of an EV and I was looking for something with some ground clearance and off-road capabilities (either a truck or a body-on-frame SUV). I wasn't looking for a sedan or crossover so a Tesla offering wasn't even on my radar.

Now that I know how beneficial an EV can be (for my wallet AND the environment) and there is one coming to market (with the off-road capabilities I want) from literally the best EV manufacturer in the world, I am more than enthusiastic to throw all my monies at them!

Easyejl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron,2017 WRX STI, 2003 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Software development
Country flag
So, will this be your first foray into Electric Vehicles? Your First Tesla? If you have not owned a Tesla, have you ever tried a Tesla?

What are the EV specific features that most excite you?

What are the Tesla specific features that most excite you?
I have never owned nor had interest in owning a Tesla or any other electric vehicle. There are 2 reasons I'm buying a cybertruck
  1. 0-60 performance for a 4dr 4wd pick up truck
  2. Getting to drive something I can dress up into a Halo Warthog
That's pretty much it. If it was a gas/diesel powered vehicle from Ford with the same performance and price I wouldn't care

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT, ordered: 5-AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This will be my first EV and my first truck. I started following Elon after reading the book about him in 2018. I'm a retired 73 year old and have six kids and 10 grandchildren. I was a GSM for Audi, (8-yrs) and BMW, (12-yrs). I love quality vehicles and know that Tesla is the only company that is doing it right. The CT and Semi will revolutionize the trucking industry. I have: 1 son, 1 grandson and 2 son in-laws that have trucks and I know the cyber will blow their minds. I have ordered 4, so far and have spaced them out by at least 200k orders. I'm expecting to use most of them for Robo taxis.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have ordered 4, so far and have spaced them out by at least 200k orders. I'm expecting to use most of them for Robo taxis.
Given the rate of "progress" with autopilot, what do you plan to do when these trucks start to arrive?

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If FSD isn't ready by the time the trucks start coming, I have six kids and 10 grandchildren who are dying to drive them, no problem with uber drivers.

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
not everyone likes a truck, that's why current Tesla owners, or at least the majority of them, are car people. The CT is bringing in a totally new group and once again Elon is right on the mark.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
not everyone likes a truck, that's why current Tesla owners, or at least the majority of them, are car people. The CT is bringing in a totally new group and once again Elon is right on the mark.
I believe you've got it. Coming from the opposite side of things, I've always had trucks. There hasn't been a Tesla that really interested me enough to purchase... Till the Cybertruck. Now, suddenly, there is a Tesla that I could see driving. I was a big fan before even though they did not make a truck but was not ready to give up my truck.

People who drive sedans typically don't ALSO drive top-tier $80k trucks. You either have a really nice car OR a really nice truck but probably not both (for your own driving, that is). So, it kind of makes sense that top-tier sedan drivers aren't looking to shell out $80k on a honking big truck to tool around in.

OB-ONE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
exactly right and I didn't mention that people don't understand how many trucks are sold each year. Ford, Chevy, Ram, and Toyota are going to see market share drop by huge amounts when the CT hits the streets. Sandy Munroe is excited about getting his.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
exactly right and I didn't mention that people don't understand how many trucks are sold each year. Ford, Chevy, Ram, and Toyota are going to see market share drop by huge amounts when the CT hits the streets. Sandy Munroe is excited about getting his.
Watch the numbers starting to drop this year. Yes of course Covid has something to do with it, but I would imagine there are lots of people holding off buying new ICE trucks waiting for Electric trucks. Not just Cybertruck, but also Rivian, Lordstown, Nicola, Ford and Hummer. The EV disruption has begun!
Sponsored