Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
'A winch' is not the same as a '500 amp draw winch'.

You know you can take any Jeep or truck on the market right now and safely add a winch, right? Zero magic. Just do it. I've installed at least a dozen.
I didn't say otherwise.

-Crissa

The battery I ended up buying was a Dakota Lithium. https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...ar-truck-battery-plus-deep-cycle-performance/
According to these specs, it could only run that winch, engine on, for less than ten minutes before completely having to recharge the battery.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
'A winch' is not the same as a '500 amp draw winch'.

-Crissa
You quoted a person talking about a Warn Zeon 12s, a generic, standard size for most off road trucks and Jeeps. It will work on nearly any ICE vehicle you can buy, but not a Tesla or any other EV that I know of.

I have no idea where you got 500a, maybe it says that as a peak on the spec sheet. I can tell you from measurement that most winches would never hit that, or only for a second. My last Jeep had a 400a fuse for the winch, which had the same rating as the 12s. Stock electrical everything.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You quoted a person talking about a Warn Zeon 12s, a generic, standard size for most off road trucks and Jeeps. It will work on nearly any ICE vehicle you can buy, but not a Tesla or any other EV that I know of.

I have no idea where you got 500a, maybe it says that as a peak on the spec sheet. I can tell you from measurement that most winches would never hit that, or only for a second. My last Jeep had a 400a fuse for the winch, which had the same rating as the 12s. Stock electrical everything.
I have no idea where you didn't look up the specific model the quoted - not a generic one - and then look at the math involved. It had a 469a peak. A 400a might not blow, as long as you don't hit peak, which, well, you probably would want it to pop the breaker and lock down before exceeding the weight limit and snapping.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I have no idea where you didn't look up the specific model the quoted - not a generic one - and then look at the math involved. It had a 469a peak. A 400a might not blow, as long as you don't hit peak, which, well, you probably would want it to pop the breaker and lock down before exceeding the weight limit and snapping.

-Crissa
Yes, that's supported by nearly every vehicle just fine. I don't need to look it up because I have decades of experience with winches and they are totally predictable.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A 400a might not blow, as long as you don't hit peak, which, well, you probably would want it to pop the breaker and lock down before exceeding the weight limit and snapping.
Oh, and no, hell no, just no.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, and no, hell no, just no.
I get the idea that you have 'experience' and it's narrow, and applies to vehicles I wasn't talking about.

But I wouldn't trust your 'experience' if you don't know the limit to how many seconds you can operate your device before exhausting your battery.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
No, it's quite broad, and applies to the vehicles you're talking about. You are totally correct on Teslas, and probably all EVs right now. Totally missed the boat on the real world with trucks, RVs, and pretty much any other four-wheel ICE.

But I wouldn't trust your 'experience' if you don't know the limit to how many seconds you can operate your device before exhausting your battery.
This tells me you have no understanding at all of the physics involved, but you're so confident you do.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
A plastic barbie power wheels jeep with a 12Ah battery can operate a Warn Zeon 12s winch briefly and pull itself out.
An RV with the same winch and 900Ah battery bank might not.

It isn't about being able to operate a winch, its about being able to get the job done.
Figure out what the vehicle electrical system can handle, and put a resettable breaker rated for that. That isn't rocket surgery.

You don't want it running near stall, you want it working between peak efficiency and peak power, on the left side of the motor curves.

If you are operating near the max current limit, you should have another set of snatch blocks.

Barbie is in trouble. The Warn Zeon 12s consumes 66 amps pulling air. Her plastic Jeep might catch fire if it takes too long. Or not have enough battery capacity left to make it home.

If we are limited to the current of a cigarette lighter, we might want to look for alternative tools to get the job done.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A plastic barbie power wheels jeep with a 12Ah battery can operate a Warn Zeon 12s winch briefly and pull itself out.
An RV with the same winch and 900Ah battery bank might not.
I love extreme exaggerations. Especially when they are correct.

I've pulled 25k of RV with my Jeep pretty easily. I've also stalled a Warn 9500 pulling a Jeep from a mud bank and depleted the battery with the engine running. The number of variables is immense (infinite, I suppose).

That isn't rocket surgery.
One of my favorite sayings, which makes some people short-circuit. Like an overloaded winch.

Super light pull, might have done it by hand.

Tesla Cybertruck Winch - What is the priority? 1657227309578

Heavy-ish, but short pull, easier than it looks.

Tesla Cybertruck Winch - What is the priority? 1657227465465

Insanely hard work, took us over two hours, and two vehicles, two snatch blocks, two trees, five people.....

Tesla Cybertruck Winch - What is the priority? 1657227391786

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
what other things can be done to stop from getting stuck in the first place?

... (CTIS?) ... use offroad SLAM (thats just a software update away) for path and traction prediction, rocking and hopping air suspension (like Merc GLS) ... momentum assist for sand driving,
These ones interest me.
Central Tire Inflation System gets a big thumbs up. If you have onboard compressor stock, CTIS should at least be an option.
SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping) is already implemented, but we need the ability to supplement with additional map sources (topological) and add personal annotations. * watch out for BIG blind hole, stay on left side of puddle. Path and traction prediction is an interesting problem.
What does momentum assist look like?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping) is already implemented, but we need the ability to supplement with additional map sources (topological) and add personal annotations. * watch out for BIG blind hole, stay on left side of puddle. Path and traction prediction is an interesting problem.
What does momentum assist look like?
So offroad FSD? At what point does it become boring? I found that the crutch of the descent control in the Jeep made things less interesting, and reserved it for really being in trouble.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
So offroad FSD? At what point does it become boring? I found that the crutch of the descent control in the Jeep made things less interesting, and reserved it for really being in trouble.
I suspect it takes more for you to really be in trouble than the rental car warrior that wants to see what this off roading thing is about. Offroad FSD is probably for them (the rental companies), but your input would be needed to make it better.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it's quite broad, and applies to the vehicles you're talking about. You are totally correct on Teslas, and probably all EVs right now. Totally missed the boat on the real world with trucks, RVs, and pretty much any other four-wheel ICE.

This tells me you have no understanding at all of the physics involved, but you're so confident you do.
Since I literally and specifically did not refer to trucks, your 'broad' experience - which you showed as being irrelevant to what I said - isn't so broad.

Why is it old guys have this 'I must be right about what someone else said to a dying breath' when they're dead wrong? You're arguing bullshit. You didn't look at the winch that was mentioned, you repeatedly use vehicles I wasn't referring to as examples, what is the point of the argument at all?

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Rivian is going to offer an electric winch terminal. The CT needs to have dual batteries and 3x the recharge capacity vs a model Y to make a winch plausible but a zeon 12s is the logical and economical choice for recovery ve tesla making one.
Talk about a pricey and capable winch Warn has made.

Though I just recently read about a Sherpa (Stallion 25k), not as popular here in the US that I have seen, it does seem capable (from reading a review and spec sheet).

I know people who off road regularly that swear by warn, others by Smittybilt... I am not too picky, just as long as it works and is reliable.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
LOL, I literally said “pretty much any four wheel ICE.” I quoted on specific thing about RVs. You remind me of a discussion with one of those alt-fight right wing nuts this morning. Must make up facts to be right.

it’s this simple: Any common winch, say under 15k, will work fine on nearly any common ICE. Cars, RVs, whatever.
Sponsored