Would you buy a 2 mm CT

Would you buy a 2mm cold rolled CT with assumed savings above?

• Total voters

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If there was a magic option to swap out the 3 mm ss for 2 mm and it saved you $3000 and you gained 20 miles of range would you take the option?
This would be pretty darn durable, just would not stop bullet like the 3 mm.

WAG weight savings 400 lbs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The durability of the Cybertruck exterior is a side-effect of the exoskeletal design. A 2mm skin would lack sufficient rigidity for structural integrity.
I would debate that. The doors, sail compartment lids and hood and tailgate are all hinged. That makes up a lot of the skin area. A well designed latched door will transfer loads to the next part and add rigidity but I would contend a door with 2 mm would provide the same. For the sake of the poll the structure would work the same. Yes you would lose some dent resistance. I will not argue that.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The durability of the Cybertruck exterior is a side-effect of the exoskeletal design. A 2mm skin would lack sufficient rigidity for structural integrity.
Agreed. I seems like the bullet proof nature is a result of the thickness that was needed for structure rigidity and not the driving factor for 3mm. This is obviously an assumption based on the what they revealed I think it is very unlikely the added that type of weight and cost just for a party trick.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If there was a magic option to swap out the 3 mm ss for 2 mm and it saved you $3000 and you gained 20 miles of range would you take the option?

There are many reasons I'm sure why Tesla came up with 3mm SS as the optimum material. Being bulletproof for a 9 mm was probably a byproduct. With this being an exoskeleton design, reducing the thickness of the shell by 33% would have consequences. You would lose a lot of the stiffness, and resistance to twist, Payload, towing, and off-road capability would be affected. Plus it would dent easier.
It's not a simple equation, reduce thickness and weight to increase range and cut cost. There would be a price to pay. Like everything in life, there are consequences, and choices to be made. I trust Tesla to make design choices for my Cybertruck.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Watched what beancounters at FORD did with the Pinto. New thin body panels cut costs to the point of Pinto being a first. You couldn’t lean against it. Pinto was a throwaway car.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I initially voted yes until I read your comment. I would not trade 3mm for 2mm to save money under any circumstance. I also believed/believe Elon when he said that the vehicle will get 500+ miles per charge with 3mm. They could save 400 lbs in other ways.. I also question whether 2mm would be an acceptable replacement given that this is the structural component of the vehicle (which makes me wonder whether you understand this). So I changed my vote to no. I do not think most people care, or even believe, that stopping a bullet is necessary, but being strong enough is.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Watched what beancounters at FORD did with the Pinto. New thin body panels cut costs to the point of Pinto being a first. You couldn’t lean against it. Pinto was a throwaway car.
My 1976 VW has 1 mm sheet metal, not that is is particularly strong or weak. It worked. 2 mm would not be flimsy in anyway. I think a lot of people on this thread are reading too much into the exoskeleton hype. The CT is not an airplane with minimal openings.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would debate that. The doors, sail compartment lids and hood and tailgate are all hinged. That makes up a lot of the skin area. A well designed latched door will transfer loads to the next part and add rigidity but I would contend a door with 2 mm would provide the same. For the sake of the poll the structure would work the same. Yes you would lose some dent resistance. I will not argue that.
The Cybertruck was designed for functionality, so they chose a material type and thickness of the exoskeleton to meet the functional requirements. The only debate that should engaged in would be a structural analysis based on all of the functional requirements as others have pointed out indirectly. The functional requirements have to win out over weight and cost considerations, and range is really whatever they say that they can meet all other things taken into account. I am not an automotive engineer nor do I have the software to perform this analysis (anymore) but I am certain that Tesla went through rigorous simulation and testing before finalizing the exoskeleton design.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My 1976 VW has 1 mm sheet metal, not that is is particularly strong or weak. It worked. 2 mm would not be flimsy in anyway. I think a lot of people on this thread are reading too much into the exoskeleton hype. The CT is not an airplane with minimal openings.
Your VW had a chassis that provided all of the strength the vehicle needed and the only other strength needed was to protect the passengers. It is a completely different design. And I do not think (and I am certain that the others you are referring to would agree) that 'hype' is part of the discussion or thought process. If you think it is, you should probably give up your reservation and get something with a chassis. Lots of BEV trucks will be coming out with classic chassis designs.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

I am the OP and I voted no. 400 lbs at $3 per manufactured pound would be a savings of only $1200 for Tesla. The marginal range increase over the life of the vehicle would probably be more of a motivating factor. If you were able to translate that into the initial savings somehow and it all came out to 4-5$K saved I would probably say yes.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Why downward pressure?
  • Save 400# Weight
  • drop $3000 Retail
  • add 20 mi Range
  • reduce S.S. 33% Materials
Eliminate spare tire ~100#
Remove RWS ~ 80#
Remove hitch ~ 65#
Replace Tailgate with Gator net+brakelight ~160#

Drop Retail $ 3300.00 USD

aero/Range gain ~16mi.

Keep 30X S.S. exoskeleton. I could live with this delivery spec. I’ll fab a hitch myself.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
a lot of good points about the structural integrity of going 2mm from 3mm.
the real theoretical question might be if CT wasn't bulletproof with 3mm, and you could upgrade to ?mm which will stop a 9mm bullet. Would you pay $???? to upgrade.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Your VW had a chassis that provided all of the strength the vehicle needed and the only other strength needed was to protect the passengers. It is a completely different design. And I do not think (and I am certain that the others you are referring to would agree) that 'hype' is part of the discussion or thought process. If you think it is, you should probably give up your reservation and get something with a chassis. Lots of BEV trucks will be coming out with classic chassis designs.
With the megacasting and structural pack, the exoskeleton is essentially a unibody add on. We are down to semantics at this point. It is hardly a crab. You are caught up in the hype. Again this is not an airplane. The skateboard with body attached that others are doing is not that much different. Everybody is going to a structural pack to some degree. Some better than others.

My VW has fairly minimal framing it is hardly a body on frame. It has very light channels with hat channels on top welded to a corrugated floor. I would contend it is as much of a exoskeleton as the CT but 46 years old. That said I can punch it and dent it with my fist where flat. I would not be able to do that with 2 mm.

I am still on board with the CT thank you if the price, performance, features and availability come together better than the competition.
Sponsored