O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure if that statement is completely accurate. You will need the Gateway to isolate the grid from the house still at least, so just having two Powerwalls won't suffice to use the CT as a Powerwall when the grid fails.
but i think the gateway is in the new battery 3.0 now being sold with solar panels
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Not sure if that statement is completely accurate. You will need the Gateway to isolate the grid from the house still at least, so just having two Powerwalls won't suffice to use the CT as a Powerwall when the grid fails.
Dont all powerwall setups isolate themselves from the grid? Feels mandatory since the whole selling point is powering your house in an outage

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
I just got an email from Tesla today asking two questions about my power wall set up and how it will change then install. Great news. Hope that also means my VIN is coming soon.
I got this too yesterday night. It sounds like it's saying basically what this thread is saying, that I might not need any additional hardware besides the truck to powershare.
I wonder if this could also mean that newer Tesla vehicles may have hardware built in it to access powershare. Especially since powerwalls may have already been fitted with this ability.

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
Dont all powerwall setups isolate themselves from the grid? Feels mandatory since the whole selling point is powering your house in an outage
True, but I think you can also set a limit and sell a portion of your battery power to the grid in case of a power outage in an area not effecting you. At least I think that's what I've done. But I could be wrong, I just enjoy credit from my electric company and money from Tesla.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
To me the question is: Will Powershare work with V2 gateway? If that is the case Powershare will be compatible with older Powerwall installations. Had heard that V3 is delayed several more months.

OP
OP
Speedr

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
To me the question is: Will Powershare work with V2 gateway? If that is the case Powershare will be compatible with older Powerwall installations. Had heard that V3 is delayed several more months.
My understanding is if you have the white boxes above your Powerwalls, then you have the gateways and you're all set.

Jimbo Ringo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
This actually lowers the value of Foundation Series if you look at it from a different angle. So now, no gateway or universal connector will be installed for my Cyberbeast, as well as the 4k install credit? They will look at my house and say and decide I don't "need" any further equipment? ugh... 87 days and counting for Cyberbeast Vin...the value of foundation series is dwindling fast.
Tesla Cybertruck You can power your house with Cybertruck if you already have a Powerwall!! [confirmed by Drew Baglino of Tesla] IMG_1233

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Gateway disconnects the grid part to the utility meter so you can operate the rest of the house off-grid. Otherwise the Powerwalls would export power to the grid when the grid is down. Not all networks accept the Gateway as the disconnect/Isolation device.

Tesla Cybertruck You can power your house with Cybertruck if you already have a Powerwall!! [confirmed by Drew Baglino of Tesla] 1709652284475

Hence my statement that Powerwalls are not enough to run offgrid.

In on grid mode the powerwall syncs to the grid to export power to it.

Technically you could also sync the Powerwalls to the CT outlets too, but that would just mean that the CT would work as a backup battery to the Powerwalls, but would not charge the CT. For that you need a Gateway that connects to the Bidirectional Tesla charger and controls which direction power flows and what to do when the power fails.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All powerwall owners should already have a gateway. The gateway is what's used to manage power to and from the powerwall. It also manage charge on solar with the cars.
true....but the new batteries have it built-in...the older ones have a separate box on the side of the house.....also, you can set it up to completely cut-off gird power from your power company at night and run at night off of battery power and charge up the next day....my usage during the day in the summer is usually around 35kw per hour.....I will be getting a 10.25 kW system with 2-V3 batteries.....that is a well over 100% of what I use over the year......Am I over spec'd.....probably, but I seldom lose power in SoCal......I just want no usage of SCE power if I can do it.....and be comfortable at the same time....In addition, I have 2 Teslas.....one charges from home and one has lifetime free supercharging.....Gas appliances as well....But the key to me is the new V3 battery with built-in gateway

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The Gateway disconnects the grid part to the utility meter so you can operate the rest of the house off-grid. Otherwise the Powerwalls would export power to the grid when the grid is down. Not all networks accept the Gateway as the disconnect/Isolation device.

1709652284475.png

Hence my statement that Powerwalls are not enough to run offgrid.

In on grid mode the powerwall syncs to the grid to export power to it.

Technically you could also sync the Powerwalls to the CT outlets too, but that would just mean that the CT would work as a backup battery to the Powerwalls, but would not charge the CT. For that you need a Gateway that connects to the Bidirectional Tesla charger and controls which direction power flows and what to do when the power fails.
Power wall has a gateway built into it though doesn't it? Or they all come with one. Because power walls run your house off grad and I know we aren't just back feeding the grid in that case

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Power wall has a gateway built into it though doesn't it? Or they all come with one. Because power walls run your house off grad and I know we aren't just back feeding the grid in that case
Is your Powerwall connected to your meter or your house swtchpanel? Do you have a sub-panel otherwise?

Tesla Cybertruck You can power your house with Cybertruck if you already have a Powerwall!! [confirmed by Drew Baglino of Tesla] 1709658954979

Or

Tesla Cybertruck You can power your house with Cybertruck if you already have a Powerwall!! [confirmed by Drew Baglino of Tesla] 1709658984397

Either seems to need a gateway.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
true....but the new batteries have it built-in...the older ones have a separate box on the side of the house.....also, you can set it up to completely cut-off gird power from your power company at night and run at night off of battery power and charge up the next day....my usage during the day in the summer is usually around 35kw per hour.....I will be getting a 10.25 kW system with 2-V3 batteries.....that is a well over 100% of what I use over the year......Am I over spec'd.....probably, but I seldom lose power in SoCal......I just want no usage of SCE power if I can do it.....and be comfortable at the same time....In addition, I have 2 Teslas.....one charges from home and one has lifetime free supercharging.....Gas appliances as well....But the key to me is the new V3 battery with built-in gateway

I have one V2 Powerwall. Also with SCE, but I pull from the grid since I'm on NEM 2.0. My powerwall has an inverter up top and my gateway v2 is in the garage. With the surveys so far, I don't know if i need a Gateway v3 or it works with my current v2 gateway. Tesla website stated it needs a V3 gateway.

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
I believe the POWERWALL has a gateway. so when the grid goes down it does disconnect you from the grid so the POWERWALL can power your house
Sponsored