Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
We've got all the resources, the mining, the transportation infrastructure, we really just missing the refining and manufacturing.
AUS is in the same predicament as Latin Amer., just a little longer boat ride for its goods to travel. Can RE solar in the Outback cut the cost of refining to compete? Is there mfg infrastructure to build battery, batterypacks, Powerwalls and Megapack containers?

That’s one value proposition.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe we need to look at doing things, like EM seems to talk about, without government subsidies? The quetion
is how?

In saying that I wonder who made the decision to actually go after the battery production subsidies available in Giga Austin instead of Berlin?
The initial proposal to subsidize only unionized factories failed, so in order to receive the assistance they desperately need, they had to include their nemesis , Tesla.

So here we are. Simple business decision.. not impeding marketing, or product placement, or delivery windows.

We still produce 1 litre.. but instead of 50/50 , Austin produces 600ml and Germany 400ml. And Tesla still produces 2 million cars. ( not quite lol )

Things are still ramping, but with a tweak.

Drain it, and good odds, when the companies who lobbied for it are ready to take advantage, it won't be there anymore.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Without government subsidies, there's no thumbs on the wheel. The car will careen whichever way it goes.

Government subsidies are the only thing still larger than billionaires' whims,

-Crissa

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Just finished watching the Queens funeral. Pretty epic. Great Queen. If only all public servants had her character, commitment to her subjects, and steadfast resolve. 70 years of service, 73 years married. Exceptional.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Mine won't. But that's because we're on the back side of our hill. We only get morning sun. The rest is filtered by the redwoods.

-Crissa
You could install Powerwalls (not right now, but by year end Tesla is talking about selling them separate from solar again) and at least help offset peaks and retain power during blackouts. A friend of mine paid for Tesla Solar **just to prevent getting blacked out by PG&E**.

But this is why it is great that each Tesla solar setup displaces the need for power at multiple homes. Maybe none of your immediate neighbors can offset your solar demand, but further down the hill in Santa Cruz proper, there are plenty of homes with good solar exposure. Also on the other side of the hill.

But just having that Powerwall would help on those days where the California sun is blazing and AC demands are roasting the grid.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
AUS is in the same predicament as Latin Amer., just a little longer boat ride for its goods to travel. Can RE solar in the Outback cut the cost of refining to compete? Is there mfg infrastructure to build battery, batterypacks, Powerwalls and Megapack containers?

That’s one value proposition.
Well we had GM, Ford and Toyota manufacturering fairly recently, they even exported some of our models to the states.

My line of thinking is that Tesla has nailed down and shrunk the actual cell manufacturering process which would help heaps for setting something new up here. We also have the extraction and shipping handled, its really just the resource processing missing so we can plug the materials into the beginning of the Tesla line.

The energy consumption isn't that big of an issue and RE is easy here if you find a good spot on a grid. We have heaps of space and permits are managable.

Really just need a letter of intent from EM, with a bit of effort I reckon I could swing the rest, with the contacts I have in the west, including investors/finance. :unsure: 😎

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We've been on the waiting list for Powerwalls before.

I bought an LFP for some limited shifting but the component to make it act as a timed resource is on backorder x-x

I may not have good solar - but the stores in the village do. My neighbor across the street does. That's why I keep lobbying for local coops.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Well we had GM, Ford and Toyota manufacturering fairly recently, they even exported some of our models to the states.

My line of thinking is that Tesla has nailed down and shrunk the actual cell manufacturering process which would help heaps for setting something new up here. We also have the extraction and shipping handled, its really just the resource processing missing so we can plug the materials into the beginning of the Tesla line.

The energy consumption isn't that big of an issue and RE is easy here if you find a good spot on a grid. We have heaps of space and permits are managable.

Really just need a letter of intent from EM, with a bit of effort I reckon I could swing the rest, with the contacts I have in the west, including investors/finance. :unsure: 😎
Sunk cost is everything invested into and up to the point that Li is loaded aboard ships. Thereafter, its a function of time, disruption and acts of God.

AUS can load raw materials, refined lithium hydroxide, mfg cell components, cells, or battery packs – freight’s the same. Boat turns left or right.

AUS isn’t going to make any cars. Boats can bring those as backhaul cheaper than AUS can standup a automobile mfg supply chain. BUT its in a position to do more with its lithium. Tesla is able to do everything but mine Li, refine Li and make batteries. It can do some but not all it needs. And Tesla still needs to sell Teslas to AUS.

AUS should call TSMC, PANASONIC, LG, and any other major that dovetails with LiON should be its next conversation. Building that AUS Li value chain is primary first principle. Everything flows after that…

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Can’t tell if this is false dilemma or equivocation!

I guess we can sort that out as soon as people agree on an objective standard of what it means to be “hot” or “cold,” just after reaching agreement on the difference between “efficiency” and “wastefulness.”
Not sure why you think it's equivocation.

It's subjective of course so we don't need definitions for "hot" or "cold". Some will prefer to put on a sweater while others prefer to turn up the heat. Both should be options. If you wish to save on your electricity bill then by all means put on the sweater but I shouldn't need to do it to save the planet.

Any solution that relies on that is the wrong one in my opinion. Which is exactly why EVs didn't take off until Tesla created some without a bunch of compromises over ICE vehicles.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
. If you wish to save on your electricity bill then by all means put on the sweater but I shouldn't need to do it to save the planet.
this just tells me you haven’t been reading and/or understanding my posts

one does not need to appeal to “saving the planet” to undergird conservation and diversification of energy resources. There are many other, compounding, reasons - but for me chief among them is national security.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
this just tells me you haven’t been reading and/or understanding my posts

one does not need to appeal to “saving the planet” to undergird conservation and diversification of energy resources. There are many other, compounding, reasons - but for me chief among them is national security.
I never said anything about diversification of energy resources.

I'm not going to go back and read all your posts, perhaps the answer to the miscommunication is in there somewhere but I don't think it's really necessary. I have no desire to debate these points with you. I absolutely believe we should have a diverse, resilient power supply/grid and that is should meet our national security needs. I can't imagine why anyone would disagree with that.

My point was in relation to the concept of reducing energy consumption by asking people to go without.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Russia has asked people to go without in their last 80 years of prosperity.