How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don’t take my word for it, go try and use the Measure app on things at a sharp angle 10 feet away and come up with reasonably accurate numbers.

The bed dimensions are near worst case for accuracy on this app. TRY IT. Borrow and iPhone if you don’t own one.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I am only incessantly insisting that the massive conjecture of some is just that.... OTHERWISE we will know for certain on release day.
Seems like that's exactly the headscratcher.

You seem to assume that people don't also already understand that "OTHERWISE we will [not] know for certain [until] release day" and that they are currently engaging in conjecture until and pending release day.

Though, it does seem like you're not so insistent on reminding people of the obvious when it's a purported feature that you find unobjectionable in nature?

I mean, maybe I've missed you incessintly insisting that it's massive conjecture that the CT will include 4WS, etc.?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Don’t take my word for it, go try and use the Measure app on things at a sharp angle 10 feet away and come up with reasonably accurate numbers.

The bed dimensions are near worst case for accuracy on this app. TRY IT. Borrow and iPhone if you don’t own one.
Totally agree and mentioned top of thread that bed dimensions are the worst for this approach - when the 'disputed' margin of interest is narrower than the possible margin of error, it's just interesting.

But things like the fender flares, or even external dimensions of the truck (overall W / L etc.) should be pretty informative. The ropes around this thing were close enough to reach out an arm and get within a few feet of the fender flares, or the tailgate width, etc. - and measuring the overall length of the truck will give a useful scale without which I have no bearing (e.g., is that ~220" or ~240"?).

But hey, even if imperfect or worse, it's far better data than we have to date, and far more interesting than the unscrubbed corners of the windshield.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Hope the measurements are better than this, this image is rough. I don't expect scientific, but I hope lol
1678385926506.jpeg
Yeah, I saw that and was like... ummm... that wouldn't be a 4" fender if you measured it along that line. And for what it's worth, I don't think it's a 4" fender.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Yeah, I saw that and was like... ummm... that wouldn't be a 4" fender if you measured it along that line. And for what it's worth, I don't think it's a 4" fender.
This is the issue with being an amateur with that measure app. He measure the distance moved of the dot, not the object specifically.

There's a curve.

Really, it all boils down to.... we always want more! I wish the truck was an 3D lidar scanned object at this point so we could mock it and see.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think that’s why Greggertruck said he hopes the rest of the measurements are better.

What we care about on the fender is how far it sticks out, this is the C-A leg in the Pythagorean formula and not even straight on. We want the BA leg.

Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678389294779

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
This is the issue with being an amateur with that measure app. He measure the distance moved of the dot, not the object specifically.

There's a curve.

Really, it all boils down to.... we always want more! I wish the truck was an 3D lidar scanned object at this point so we could mock it and see.
Yeah, with all this stuff I'm just a fan and I like all the info we can get and I don't care if it's not perfect. I wanna get the truck regardless. I expect Matt's measurements will be flawed, but I also expect it will be reasonably close. I'm not going to dwell on fenders or an inch or two here or there. But I like getting a general update on how they are trimming the truck fat and a ballpark in terms of where they are headed with the size.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
If Musk himself tattooed the dimensions on Matt’s forehead, it wouldn’t settle much around here!
True, but in this case the skepticism might not be misplaced!

In any event, it will still be very interesting to hear the context of his discussion with the Tesla employee socializing the vehicle with investors. That’s alone is more information than we’ve had for any other prototype of late.

Then to also have even marginal error prone on-site measurements it’s still yet more/better info than ever had - in the category of fandom pre-release conjectures.

For example, even a rough measurement of 4” for those flares is interesting scale. It suggests that
  • the release day proto, if 84”,had a real body width measurement of 76”
  • A 5% reduction to 80” width would suggest a 72” body width
That’s… narrow!
I guess some content is better than none but I fear it will end up just adding more confusion than anything really. See Ogre's examples or in this case alone where we can see one of the points is clearly on the stainless steel quarter panel whilst the other is well short of the edge of the fender.

Hope the measurements are better than this, this image is rough. I don't expect scientific, but I hope lol
1678385926506.jpeg
For people incessantly insisting we can’t know anything until release day, I keep wondering what do you even do in this forum, then? :LOL:
I've wondered that too 🤣

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
could be, maybe not

these tires are just narrower than 12”

I couldn’t be as confident that this fender is isnt about 1/3 the width of the tire

Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 81DBE4B3-2837-4E13-85DF-268BBA71B220

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For people incessantly insisting we can’t know anything until release day, I keep wondering what do you even do in this forum, then? :LOL:
We know there are wheel wells now.

We know the rear seats fold up and that a center console is likely.

We know they are hiring.

There are robots, gigapress, tight security around the GP.

Is it that hard to recognize that something is speculative versus fact?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
From this side of the screen it seems like you are often incapable of distinguishing.

🤷‍♂️
maybe I give too much credit to people understanding the obvious background assumptions

🤷🏻‍♂️

Though probably more an issue of mere biases making some people feel their preferred conjectures are valid, while other’s are objectionable

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As I was saying 🙄🤪😂

I’m pretty sure I’ve crammed 3 adults—sometimes 4–in the front of pickup trucks more than 99% of Americans. So when someone tells me they have “special” insight into pickup truck front seat size, there is nothing left but laughing.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
As I was saying 🙄🤪😂

I’m pretty sure I’ve crammed 3 adults—sometimes 4–in the front of pickup trucks more than 99% of Americans. So when someone tells me they have “special” insight into pickup truck front seat size, there is nothing left but laughing.
need receipts on that one
Sponsored