How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be?

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
That’s all old news now ;) He measured the truck after. I wish he did LiDAR scans. Didn’t know that magic til earlier today. That’s fricking amazing!
Ah well if he didn't use LIDAR it's really not going to settle much as there could be significant error in the measurements.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ah well if he didn't use LIDAR it's really not going to settle much as there could be significant error in the measurements.
If Musk himself tattooed the dimensions on Matt’s forehead, it wouldn’t settle much around here!

In any event, it will still be very interesting to hear the context of his discussion with the Tesla employee socializing the vehicle with investors. That’s alone is more information than we’ve had for any other prototype of late.

Then to also have even marginal error prone on-site measurements it’s still yet more/better info than ever had - in the category of fandom pre-release conjectures.

For example, even a rough measurement of 4” for those flares is interesting scale. It suggests that
  • the release day proto, if 84”,had a real body width measurement of 76”
  • A 5% reduction to 80” width would suggest a 72” body width
That’s… narrow!

For people incessantly insisting we can’t know anything until release day, I keep wondering what do you even do in this forum, then? :LOL:

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
interesting. So an iPhone measuring app or some such?

Those apps, based on a quick search-and-learn, appear to have error rates as low as 95% but possibly higher if not coddled into optimum process.

so where the interest around here for some measurements such as they bed could come down to the difference of a few inches over a possibly ~4-5’ span,…

as interested as anything to hear the context of the convos
LiDAR is even better than the measuring app. It basically scans the object in 3D so you can mock it in AR and “see it” in person. All the while, if you scan it… you can remeasure or measure anything you want in the future, cause your scan captures all that info! Honestly incredible

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
LiDAR is even better than the measuring app. It basically scans the object in 3D so you can mock it in AR and “see it” in person. All the while, if you scan it… you can remeasure or measure anything you want in the future, cause your scan captures all that info! Honestly incredible
wait, so are you saying he DID use LiDAR?

because:

That’s all old news now ;) He measured the truck after. I wish he did LiDAR scans. Didn’t know that magic til earlier today. That’s fricking amazing!

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
wait, so are you saying he DID use LiDAR?

because:
But he didn’t scan the vehicle sounds like. Just measured. You can 3D scan, or you can use measure app built in… he used the iPhone measure app.

Didn’t know we could 3D scan an object with our pocket phones. It’s pretty amazing. I may make a video about it, showing something pretty freaking sick I have that I think everyone would appreciate! 🥸

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
The one in the Petersen museum is Raptor width and a little longer than a super crew F150 with the standard bed. Thats really want I wanted. What I have to have is the ability to mount a winch.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
he used the iPhone measure app.
got it

that's helpful to clarify in advance

as mentioned above, the iPhone measure app has about a 95% accuracy, if/whne the 'plot' points are correctly applied - which can be tough in conditions like the investor day setup (e.g., if hand-holding the iPhone, because it shakes a bit between plotting inputs; or if standing several feet back from a relevant small measurement, such as the fender flares).

That said it'll be inordinately more informative information than we've had on sizing to date. Best sizing info we've had to date on the newer prototypes.

And just how informative some of the most interesting measurements are, will depend also a good bit on Matt providing relevant context to his chats with the employee socializing the truck with investors.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
That depends. At least two rationales where it would “make sense” to have 4WS regardless if full or mid-sized. Tesla could either want to have it, or need to have it.

Tesla could “want” a truck that is [X] big but “turns like” a smaller vehicle, to make it excel in this feature relative to competitors.

Or, Tesla could “need” to have 4WS if others design factors of the CT cause it’s turn radius to be deficient compared to competitors.

Not all similarly sized vehicles perform the same in turning radius. It depends on the relative width of the vehicle, width of the tires, max steering angle, and - critically - wheelbase. If for other design reasons these factors collude against a vehicle’s turning radius, 4WS can be “needed” to achieve a merely competitive product.

The originally-released CT stats had the footprint of an F150 with 5.5” bed, but at some point (I’m not sure when/how) it became purported to have a wheelbase of 150” - which is 5” longer than the F150. If true, that extra 5” (plus if wider wheels, etc.) could collude against the CT to create a less competitive turning radius, despite having footprint. And it’s true that, proportionally speaking, the CT’s wheels appear pushed out ‘closer to the corners” than traditional truck designs. (Photos below not to scale in comparison between vehicles, but instead for noting the appearance of the CT’s wheels being nearer the ends.)

31641057-5235-42A4-B62B-371D5F8AD746.jpeg
C22550C7-FC21-4869-B4E1-C84C557F5F9F.jpeg

Whether mid-sized or full-sized, Tesla could want 4WS (in the case of making the vehicle better than competitors) or need it (in the case of making the vehicle merely competitive).

And if the CT could have a disproportionate market in urban areas (ahem), either the “want” or “need” could cause Tesla to go to extra lengths to improve turn.
Thanks for your input!!!

Reading your comments made me want to look at the February 2020 issue of MotorTrend, where a few journalists spoke about seeing the progress of the prototype CT at Tesla's design studio.

Funny thing - for the OG truck they provided the following stats:
- Overall bed width of 57" (without wheel well intrusion)
- Wheelbase of 149.9"
- Tire size - 35" x 12.5" (on the subsequent page)

I think we can take these values as accurate for the original prototype - I'd assume that Tesla was happy to disclose those details. All the while, we've been discussing these at length in other threads.

Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678379702647

Now, let's see what Mike has to say for the latest version.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That depends. At least two rationales where it would “make sense” to have 4WS regardless if full or mid-sized. Tesla could either want to have it, or need to have it.

Tesla could “want” a truck that is [X] big but “turns like” a smaller vehicle, to make it excel in this feature relative to competitors.

Or, Tesla could “need” to have 4WS if others design factors of the CT cause it’s turn radius to be deficient compared to competitors.

Not all similarly sized vehicles perform the same in turning radius. It depends on the relative width of the vehicle, width of the tires, max steering angle, and - critically - wheelbase. If for other design reasons these factors collude against a vehicle’s turning radius, 4WS can be “needed” to achieve a merely competitive product.

The originally-released CT stats had the footprint of an F150 with 5.5” bed, but at some point (I’m not sure when/how) it became purported to have a wheelbase of 150” - which is 5” longer than the F150. If true, that extra 5” (plus if wider wheels, etc.) could collude against the CT to create a less competitive turning radius, despite having footprint. And it’s true that, proportionally speaking, the CT’s wheels appear pushed out ‘closer to the corners” than traditional truck designs. (Photos below not to scale in comparison between vehicles, but instead for noting the appearance of the CT’s wheels being nearer the ends.)

31641057-5235-42A4-B62B-371D5F8AD746.jpeg
C22550C7-FC21-4869-B4E1-C84C557F5F9F.jpeg

Whether mid-sized or full-sized, Tesla could want 4WS (in the case of making the vehicle better than competitors) or need it (in the case of making the vehicle merely competitive).

And if the CT could have a disproportionate market in urban areas (ahem), either the “want” or “need” could cause Tesla to go to extra lengths to improve turn.
4ws for parallel parking that thing in Manhattan is going to be a God send.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think we can take these values as accurate for the original prototype - I'd assume that Tesla was happy to disclose those details. All the while, we've been discussing these at length in other threads.
Well, remember the confusing distinction between:
• the vehicle being described on stage (or by Tesla elsewhere) at the time, and​
• the prototype vehicle sitting on stage​

The stats Tesla put on screen were not describing the proto on stage (eg 84” wide), but instead their concept vehicle to be produced (eg 79.8” wide).

For other stats like wheelbase. I would assume Tesla didn’t mention them on screen at release day not on accident.

And I’d also be a little surprised if Tesla provided info to Motortrend (based only on my general understanding that Tesla doesn’t really “do” PR info sharing).

But who really knows, either way!

All I know is that the wider wheelbase CT design certainly appear directionally true, and makes sense functionally for reasons like the ones others have injected above.

simultaneously means that, at least for me - admittedly skeptical by nature and professional hazard - remain interested to see if the 4WS is more want or need in terms of resulting functionality.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is the iPhone Measure app in action. Distance and perspective screw it up.

If you’ve used this app, you know it’s finicky. My window sill it was much closer, 35.5” versus 34.5 actual.

With straighter, more direct lines you can get pretty close. From 20 feet away measuring something at an oblique angle. Good luck.

Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678383544865

Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678383603490

Don’t take my word for it, go play with it. It’s fantastic for rough numbers like measuring my driveway for ordering gravel. But I certainly wouldn’t use it for measuring boards.

I’m sure there are similar Android apps too.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If Musk himself tattooed the dimensions on Matt’s forehead, it wouldn’t settle much around here!

In any event, it will still be very interesting to hear the context of his discussion with the Tesla employee socializing the vehicle with investors. That’s alone is more information than we’ve had for any other prototype of late.

Then to also have even marginal error prone on-site measurements it’s still yet more/better info than ever had - in the category of fandom pre-release conjectures.

For example, even a rough measurement of 4” for those flares is interesting scale. It suggests that
  • the release day proto, if 84”,had a real body width measurement of 76”
  • A 5% reduction to 80” width would suggest a 72” body width
That’s… narrow!

For people incessantly insisting we can’t know anything until release day, I keep wondering what do you even do in this forum, then? :LOL:
I am only incessantly insisting that the massive conjecture of some is just that. If someone gets the 'tape measure' out then, at least with respect to 'that' prototype, I will of course accept the measurements. To me seeing is believing, so I will acknowledge that the 9KT is operational when I see test castings, I will acknowledge that the exoskeleton brake press is operational when I see test exoskeletons, etc. OTHERWISE we will know for certain on release day.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just use “marginal error” 4x8 sheets of plywood in your “marginal error” 4 foot wide bed.
Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678385530719

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
got it

that's helpful to clarify in advance

as mentioned above, the iPhone measure app has about a 95% accuracy, if/whne the 'plot' points are correctly applied - which can be tough in conditions like the investor day setup (e.g., if hand-holding the iPhone, because it shakes a bit between plotting inputs; or if standing several feet back from a relevant small measurement, such as the fender flares).

That said it'll be inordinately more informative information than we've had on sizing to date. Best sizing info we've had to date on the newer prototypes.

And just how informative some of the most interesting measurements are, will depend also a good bit on Matt providing relevant context to his chats with the employee socializing the truck with investors.
Hope the measurements are better than this, this image is rough. I don't expect scientific, but I hope lol
Tesla Cybertruck How big do you WANT the Cybetruck to be? 1678385926506
Sponsored