OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Yep.

Proven wrong and now it's... 'not viable'.

And you were saying I was moving goalposts, refusing to see the blue sky.

Well, make sure the sky is really blue when you point at it. It might be raining..

-Crissa
no, not proven wrong. Destination chargers and other companies worthless, usually broken chargers are not viable solutions for a road trip.

Your proof is laughable as is your attempts to find a supercharger gap. Try traveling due north in this area with a trailer. Do you really want to bet your trip on some Electrify America charger that probably is broken?

Are you so detached from reality that you think people have unlimited vacation time and money?

Tesla Cybertruck Lightship L1, revolutionary new RV eliminates towing loss D29253B9-0F8B-46C9-A1E1-07847F8D7389
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Even the Sand Hills are less than a hundred miles from a Supercharger.
I think we were talking superchargers?

Parts of the Sandhills or Niobrara may be “a hundred miles” from a supercharger on 80.

But I dont even live there and I know Meadville, NE on the Niobrara is 150mi from the supercharger in North Platte and 175 from Kearney. Same goes for places worth being in the Sandhills.

Setting aside super chargers, while you may see L2 chargers on your map that appear “close” to Meadville, etc. - they can be 30 miles away but over an hour drive on section roads passing “towns” of population 6. Not exactly a temporary detour to L2 charge.

In any event, I don’t really see the point of any of this!

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3
Country flag
EV Dave just did a cross country trip from North Carolina to a very rural point in Wyoming (I know that is an oxymoron) in his Ford Lightning. He was stalled out not necessarily by just mileage concerns (the largest gap was 180 miles between chargers) but more by the temps and the resultant huge (50%+) loss of range in the Lightning. He has 'made this same journey many times in his Tesla Model X &Y towing trailers so that speaks volumes to Tesla's energy efficiency (even in low temps ) and the obvious superiority of the Super Charger Network.

I think there are many places in very rural America where EV charging is difficult to impossible but those areas will get coverage in time. With Tesla's very efficient and easy to use route planning, and reliable Supercharger Network, traveling almost anywhere is possible now. The rest of the EV world thinks it is playing catch up but it's painfully obvious they have no clue.

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
All they have is a render, no prototype and no manufacturing history (I know they worked at Tesla), I doubt they can start production in less than 2 years.

They are fishing for a big customer roster so they can secure VC money or a loan. Then they can start on a prototype and maybe build a factory. Unless maybe they outsource the build.
check out the "cyberlander"

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
IF we go out to far out of the way places... do we expect 100 other cars around us ?

A standalone charging station with larger battery capacity could service the trickle expected through the area.

If tons of cars are moving through, I expect a petrol station to already be there,.. and apart from the very exception, electricity would be connected.

And every year .. the Tesla network grows 30% - So I reckon in 5 years... someone could say....

Hey.... But we don't have a charger in kuppnackwitnuouk !!!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
check out the "cyberlander"
I have made similar comments about the Cyberlandr. Same exact issues, maybe worse because they are also trying to stuff 5 gallons of sausage in a 1 gallon sack.

At least Cyberlander has some physical mocks. Though they are pretty janky looking.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think we were talking superchargers?
If they were, then they wrote it wrong.

Tesla Cybertruck Lightship L1, revolutionary new RV eliminates towing loss Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 1.24.51 PM

A cursory search finds that it's not, in fact, a hundred miles from a charger. In fact, there are lots of chargers within 150 miles of it. Including several Superchargers.

Yeah, traveling north/south through this area quickly is difficult - but the topic was camping. AC charging is perfect for where you're staying a night.

Since you're not interested in actually solving your concern of charging, I'm no longer interested in dealing with a troll. Because that's what it is to repeat things which are proven to be untrue.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
A cursory search finds that it's not, in fact, a hundred miles from a charger. In fact, there are lots of chargers within 150 miles of it. Including several Superchargers.
still think we’re all speaking past one-another to some degree on the distinction between (A) google-purported mileage between two locations and (B) the utility of that information in planning trips requiring charging

For maybe just one (bad?) example, that path out of Meadville north is helpful only if you’re going from Meadville to that supercharger.

If you’re instead going from “near” that supercharger in Oacoma, SD, to somewhere “near” the supercharger in North Platte, NE, it’s 266miles between the super chargers, across of some of the most desolate (and gorgeous) country in the U.S. If you’re starting from and going to places 30miles each from those super chargers, it’s 340miles.

Maybe I’m just bad at EV trip planning!

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3
Country flag
While I like the Lightship concept, one commentor on Dave Lee's excellent South by Southwest video walk through questioned the need for the drive motor. He suggested just the solar panels and perhaps a larger battery system to supplement an EV tow vehicle. Tesla Powerwalls on board the trailer would seem to be n easier to integrate solution and, could be a seamless extension of the CT's battery up to and including using the CT Ver 4 charging port to charge both battery systems.

As a CT owner I would find that a very compelling version of the Lightship and if not the Lightship, I'm sure Tesla or someone else (Airstream?) could/would build a solar powered, battery equipped travel trailer. That would be a better option than a Cyberlander camper IMO.

kabalah70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Look where the wheels are.

Perhaps good reason for being EX Tesla Engineers,

1678443619167.png
The rear clearance is a joke also, as well as $125k or whatever for a pop-up, with no AC. Plus I don't think they will get it passed regulators. One wrong sensor input and this thing could jackknife you in a heartbeat. Not to mention another drivetrain to worry about being out of warranty on. Much easier if towing packages for EVs included an external power port for hooking up external battery packs and leave the driving to the prime mover.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
They just got their SVB stimulus checks from the FDIC so they are in the market for some EVRV's. :)

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That us exactly what this trailer would need to be. It would need to communicate directly with the truck in order to coordinate motor operation, and by having its own drive motor (with regen) would be far more efficient than just towing a battery.

Meaning an RV of this type would serve you better than what you are looking for, and result in charging LESS.

You’d likely be able to charge the trailer and the truck simultaneously, either by disconnecting the trailer to charge (a little inconvenient) or perhaps through the truck.
This is my concern. They need to have some trailer connection communication between truck and trailer to control motors and brakes on the RV. You don't want the RV's drivetrain fighting against the trucks drivetrain.

I'm guessing there is some smart way to do without it like have a computer in the rv read the speed and match the rv drivetrain to that speed with some brief delay, and just grab braking data from the trailer connector brake light signal, or from the hitch itself like those hitches that have auto braking features so that the RV isn't trying to push the truck under the RV power when the truck drivetrain is trying to slow down, or hasn't sped up yet.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The fact is, they are accepting $500 for a render.
The CT bed camper project is no different. They took in tons of money without even having the bed dimensions to design their product off of, yet they got enough somebodies to shell out on that hope and prayer.

At least the RV can finalize a design without having to wait years on another unreleased product that it depends upon.
Sponsored