Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
About the time you thought of that, there were small jet aircraft that started using high pressure air coming out of a vent where the nose meets the windscreen to both deal with rain and icing. (This high pressure air is quite warm, 400+ degrees C at the engine source)Some of these also had little aerodynamic panels that would raise up and increase the airflow in front of the windscreen to divert drops over the windscreen, thus keeping a small area of visibility where the pilots needed it.

However, today most jets have very aerodynamic windscreens and are covered with a material that is basically lifetime rainX. It requires special care and cleaning, but lasts forever. (Note: you cannot take your plane through the car wash at Costco and expect the rain dispersant to still work!) IF the armored glass were coated with such a materiel, and IF people cared for it properly (no windex!) with the aero of the CT front end, you might have sufficient airflow somewhere around 20 mph for it to work, maybe. (Note: this would require a somewhat faster speed during those massive Florida downpours they and most of the south gets!)
"Ociffer, I had to faster so I could see!
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I like BAW...I really just want my Cybertruck.

Reactions: not

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
They could have put in wipers just like the Model X. The single large wiper is a blunder.

In these two pictures there is not much difference in the layouts.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! r9W1tv0

Model X
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! ezyCzd8

There is this very very common aspect where the windshield needs to slope slightly down. Certainly, that would not have been an insurmountable challenge.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! lbIqCTG

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! IS0IbA3

Cenakaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
They could have put in wipers just like the Model X. The single large wiper is a blunder.

r9W1tv0.jpg

Model X
ezyCzd8.jpg

There is this very very common aspect where the windshield needs to slope slightly down. Certainly, that would not have been an insurmountable challenge.
lbIqCTG.jpg

IS0IbA3.jpg
You can do that, but it will ruin the flush look.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
You can do that, but it will ruin the flush look.
1) who cares ... as the wiper makes people laugh it is so ridiculous (boondoggle?) Will the end of it clear snow, sleet, rain ... and for how long before it needs to be replaced.
2) it doesn't ruin the flush look in X ... you cannot even tell from MOST angles. I had to get up close and create a perfect angle.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
1) who cares ... as the wiper makes people laugh it is so ridiculous (boondoggle?) Will the end of it clear snow, sleet, rain ... and for how long before it needs to be replaced.
2) it doesn't ruin the flush look in X ... you cannot even tell from MOST angles. I had to get up close and create a perfect angle.
You can’t compare how the S3XY wipers look and compare to the CT. There is a slope difference between the hood angle and the windshield angle. Ain’t no angle change on the CT. This would have caused a significant disruption in the profile of the CT.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
You can’t compare how the S3XY wipers look and compare to the CT. There is a slope difference between the hood angle and the windshield angle. Ain’t no angle change on the CT. This would have caused a significant disruption in the profile of the CT.
I disagree. Many many 10 of 1000s of cars do it. I would guess it'd make 0.01% diff in areo (ie. not noticeable).

I'm not talking about the 3, Y, or S. You canNOT even see it on my X which has a *huge* windshield as well.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 5gEIBPv

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
pretty sure this is all about aero

the sedans you reference have small frontal planes and so were able to achieve great Cds despite this traditional wiper setup causing airflow disruption, and still not have to fight that much air

but the CT’s large frontal plane means it’s fighting a different war with physics/air, and small variances in Cd add up to potentially large range hits, especially at high speeds

sort of chicken-or-the-egg as to whether the design begat the aero considerations or vice versa.

if you go with 3MM stainless, you get to work with planes, and if you’re stuck with planes, a smooth wedge is the aero option - if it’s a big wedge, the more smooth it needs to be

🤷🏻‍♂️

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
pretty sure this is all about aero

the sedans you reference have small frontal planes and so were able to achieve great Cds despite this traditional wiper setup causing airflow disruption, and still not have to fight that much air

but the CT’s large frontal plane means it’s fighting a different war with physics/air, and small variances in Cd add up to potentially large range hits, especially at high speeds

sort of chicken-or-the-egg as to whether the design begat the aero considerations or vice versa.

if you go with 3MM stainless, you get to work with planes, and if you’re stuck with planes, a smooth wedge is the aero option - if it’s a big wedge, the more smooth it needs to be

🤷🏻‍♂️
I can't imagine it would make any *measurable* areo difference compared to traveling speed or normal weather winds hitting the car from side or near front. I think there was an obsession to hitting a cd number ;).

I 100% think they could have figured out how to drop down the front of the windshield and cradle the lower part (green) beneath the straight 3MM stainless side.

To me, it is an absurd failure that most will think is just an engineering team and leader throwing their hands up give up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! UewtUSZ

Green is windshield like the Model X.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1QJNoH4

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! PD9u2LH

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! OFTW6US

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
I’ve grown to accept the BAW (KISS) but how does fluid dispense on the windshield?

If it’s from the wiper blade, does it disperse on the downward and upward strokes? Where is the fluid reservoir and line feed?

What are the thicker blacked out areas along the upper sides of the windshield?

The Canadian and Scandinavians have a couple solutions for winter.
1.) They can park in a garage.
2.) Tesla could program BAW to clear the windshield and hood of snow/ice every few minutes when parked. (I’m sure that would be inefficient)
3.) Driver can remove the BAW when parked (if it’s simple enough) and Tesla can superheat the driveshaft area for defrost for remounting.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Sometimes a point of difference helps.

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 1690267977729

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

r9W1tv0.jpg

Model X
ezyCzd8.jpg

lbIqCTG.jpg

IS0IbA3.jpg
Your estimates are wrong.

Why?

Because unlike the X, or any other modern car, the Cybertruck's windshield is basically a big square.

Hence, the most efficient sweep is one arm, from side to side.

Think a bus or Semi.

https://insideevs.com/news/659915/watch-tesla-semi-single-wiper-clear-rain/

But on the Cybertruck, it needs to be simple. The Cybertruck is supposed to be function over all, and it has a flat plane. A single, flat plane that extends across its frunk, unlike other modern cars.

So its wiper is even simpler than the Semi. No fancy four-hinge action, no, it's just a single point of rotation.

It will wipe above the driver's head, across the cameras, and then still have wipe as much or more than the wipers do for the passenger side on the Model X.

The BAW is simple, that's the point. And sitting at attention, off the side, out of view, aligned with the majority of the air coming over the Cybertruck, that's the most efficient space.

Just think, you'll start your truck, the wiper will push all the dust, pollen, ice, snow, rain down, where it'll roll off the nose, and then you're on your way.

-Crissa

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Your estimates are wrong.

Why?

Because unlike the X, or any other modern car, the Cybertruck's windshield is basically a big square.

Hence, the most efficient sweep is one arm, from side to side.

Think a bus or Semi.

https://insideevs.com/news/659915/watch-tesla-semi-single-wiper-clear-rain/

But on the Cybertruck, it needs to be simple. The Cybertruck is supposed to be function over all, and it has a flat plane. A single, flat plane that extends across its frunk, unlike other modern cars.

So its wiper is even simpler than the Semi. No fancy four-hinge action, no, it's just a single point of rotation.

It will wipe above the driver's head, across the cameras, and then still have wipe as much or more than the wipers do for the passenger side on the Model X.

The BAW is simple, that's the point. And sitting at attention, off the side, out of view, aligned with the majority of the air coming over the Cybertruck, that's the most efficient space.

Just think, you'll start your truck, the wiper will push all the dust, pollen, ice, snow, rain down, where it'll roll off the nose, and then you're on your way.

-Crissa
I suspect that the Tesla teams did evaluate many options and subtle trade-offs. We will see how this ages in various environments and seasons. I suspect it will get a lot of bad press like the mud water one that happened recently.

It is mostly flat but definitely has a curvature. The picture below shows it well.

ISSUE 2: I suspect the cleaning has been discussed but I *really* wonder how there will be windshield wiper fluid that will cover that windshield. (since there are not lazers ;) )

Tesla model X slow motion wiper fluid action. Lot of individual nozzles.
NOTE: in my personal experience, this X solution does not work at all at any modest speeds.

Re: Muddy water effect on CT windshield wiper.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! pT1pJPq

Re: Curved glass
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 6Ml1tYy

Re: NOT my red arrows. I was just looking for proof of nozzles integrated within wiper. I see a tube. Unclear if it works like Model X tho.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! SzEWqj1

Re: Driver focused wiper testing it would appear based on the 'test tape outline'.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! 2c86P7z

Re: Image of the comparative arc of X vs CT. Will be interesting.
Tesla Cybertruck Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla! KuVd4vB

Last edited:

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Imagine designing CT to semi final revisions, then to be asked to redesign the front end to better accommodate a “traditional wiper setup”. Unfortunately I think the big bad BAW is here to stay, unless another solution is found!
Sponsored