Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
50th Anniversary Porsche 911, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Country flag
Probably super cost prohibitive since you’d have to disassemble the truck. No plastic bits are going to survive that heat. I also don’t believe we’ve received word if there will be any type of protective coating over the steal or if it’ll be raw. Just the trial and error to get it right would be a financial nightmare. I sure wouldn’t volunteer my truck to experiment on.

It’s cool, and I’m sure someone will do it for YouTube clicks, but I don’t see it becoming common. So much easier to just wrap it.

bdmridgeback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Traverse, BDM Ridgeback, Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Business Owner/Manager
Country flag
Some cool colors....

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck steel body can be superheated to different colors turns-out-the-cybertruck-will-have-colors-after-all-and-even-laser-tattoos-146541_1

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
the thing is, this color isnt all that strong and would scratch very easily.

although I have a very cool image called "entry burn" in my mind of the bottom half with these colors going halfway up the truck, like it was dropped through the atmosphere like the dragon capsule, or older apollo capsules

its basically the same as bluing firearms...
from wikipedia blueing(steel)
"being a chemical conversion coating, is not as robust against wear and corrosion resistance as plated coatings, and is typically no thicker than 2.5 micrometres (0.0001 inches).

maybe ill add this to a test for the 3mm plates i have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This whole thread is silly, HS metal shop experiments, to do on your
$ 65,000 investment!

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
I just don't think this is going to be a viable option. I'm not a metallurgist, but I would think heating up this proprietary cold rolled 30X stainless steel would decrease the integrity of the intended purpose of this metal, hence, not making it do what it's supposed to do. When you heat metal up, it changes the physical properties of it.

OP
OP
Akgolf

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I just don't think this is going to be a viable option. I'm not a metallurgist, but I would think heating up this proprietary cold rolled 30X stainless steel would decrease the integrity of the intended purpose of this metal, hence, not making it do what it's supposed to do. When you heat metal up, it changes the physical properties of it.
I don’t think it’ll be easy or maybe even possible with all of the components in the door, fenders, etc. The steel however is going to be the same steel on the starship, so I think it’ll be okay.

PLC

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
L200
Country flag
These people should stop stealing time from Elon with their colour issues. The man has more important things to do. The overwhelming greatness of the CT-design should never be spoiled by the childish need to colour this thing. "No colour" is one of the main aspects why the design is so great.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This whole thread is silly, HS metal shop experiments, to do on your
$ 65,000 investment!
Yeah, this is just crazy talk. I can just see some dufus taking a blowtorch to his cybertruck and all the plastic bits and wiring and insulation and adjacent upholstery melting...

PES_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CMAX hybrid, Camry hybrid,
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
From Wikipedia:
"Does tempering increase strength?
The reduction in hardness is usually accompanied by an increase in ductility, thereby decreasing the brittleness of the metal. ... Higher tempering temperatures tend to produce a greater reduction in the hardness, sacrificing some yield strength and tensile strength for an increase in elasticity and plasticity."