Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Shiny ✨

please elaborate on the windex/polish statement
Place barkeepers on microfiber sponge thing.

apply circular, with the grain, however you want to apply barkeepers. Just be conservative on the application.
Use glass cleaner or windex to wipe it off with microfiber towel.

then spray off with water hose or high pressure thingy.

I do not nor cannot elaborate any more details. This is NOT magic.

No one has to use barkeepers friend.

no ritual exists on its application or removal.

I am not being an ass or sarcastic.
This is a simple apply, wipe and remove process.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend steel cleaner applied -- result photos {filename}

Barn find. Stainless looks in good shape, but look at those fingerprints lol

Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend steel cleaner applied -- result photos {filename}

This one is literally buried in biomass, but the steel is still shiny.

Abandoned roadside, Courtesy Google Street View. There's a current short video. If it weren't so far away I would steal his hood hahahaha
_Robbin' Hood In The Forrest_ 'Gumption"

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I applied a less than liberal amount and utilized windex to remove the metal polisher. Do not leave on too long, wipe immediately. Do not reuse the microfiber towel, it turns brownish black.

21st CENTURY Mr.CYBERSHEEN.....
NOICE!

I used Mr.Sheen on my mother's Superbug in the '70s

Beer_and_salami

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3, X
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Place barkeepers on microfiber sponge thing.

apply circular, with the grain, however you want to apply barkeepers. Just be conservative on the application.
Use glass cleaner or windex to wipe it off with microfiber towel.

then spray off with water hose or high pressure thingy.

I do not nor cannot elaborate any more details. This is NOT magic.

No one has to use barkeepers friend.

no ritual exists on its application or removal.

I am not being an ass or sarcastic.
This is a simple apply, wipe and remove process.
BKF then Windex and then you sprayed it down with water? It's already streak free, clean and fingerprints are gone after the Windex. Why spray it down again for more streaks to wipe?

I've either just used BKF to get fingerprints off and Windex to clean up streaks or washed it with my pressure washer and used Windex as a drying aid.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Barkeepers , an indicated in instructions, should be rinsed off with water. In fact it says not to use in areas than cannot be easily rinsed.

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
BKF is great for an occasional detail, like every year if your CT sits outside in the elements. It is like a laser scrub for your face, as it removes the oxidation.
I have only had to use it once on my DeLorean in my 11 years of ownership as the car is babied and is stored in a garage.
Here it is after the BKF application followed by a wash. In fact, I cleaned one panel and washed the panel right away, followed by another wash when I was done cleaning all panels. The Florida DeLorean Club uses BKF this way.

so what does your club suggest for cleaning your DeLo? what's best for an easy garage ten minute wash/wipe?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
so what does your club suggest for cleaning your DeLo? what's best for an easy garage ten minute wash/wipe?
Thanks for the question. If the car is dirty, we wash them with any mild soap (Dawn, or an automotive car wash product without wax, etc.). Rinse well, and dry the panels right away. Don’t wash the vehicle in the direct sun, as the panels dry too quickly and spot.

If you just need a quick wipe down to remove dust from the garage and/or fingerprints, we just use a clean microfiber cloth dampened with water. Fingerprints normally just need one to rub the cloth back and forth a couple times to remove.

I laugh at all the drama about fingerprints. Just carry a couple damp microfiber cloths in a ziplock bag and wipe it down when needed. Be sure to change the cloths often to prevent mold.
That’s what we do at car shows, and that’s what I’ll do when I get my CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Be sure to change the cloths often to prevent mold.
You want to do this because you don't want to rub the guck from the prior rubbings back onto the thing, but...

...the mold is all Florida. And the gulf coast, I guess. You guys just live at a higher humidity and temperature than everywhere else.

-Crissa

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
Thanks for the question. If the car is dirty, we wash them with any mild soap (Dawn, or an automotive car wash product without wax, etc.). Rinse well, and dry the panels right away. Don’t wash the vehicle in the direct sun, as the panels dry too quickly and spot.

If you just need a quick wipe down to remove dust from the garage and/or fingerprints, we just use a clean microfiber cloth dampened with water. Fingerprints normally just need one to rub the cloth back and forth a couple times to remove.

I laugh at all the drama about fingerprints. Just carry a couple damp microfiber cloths in a ziplock bag and wipe it down when needed. Be sure to change the cloths often to prevent mold.
That’s what we do at car shows, and that’s what I’ll do when I get my CT.
that's exactly what i was thinking, i carry my micros the same way on my motorcycle and was thinking this would work for CT. keep it simple, i'm amazed how hard some people work, lol.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
You want to do this because you don't want to rub the guck from the prior rubbings back onto the thing, but...

...the mold is all Florida. And the gulf coast, I guess. You guys just live at a higher humidity and temperature than everywhere else.

-Crissa
Agreed. I wash the cloths after one use. That information is for a reader who thinks you can seal a damp cloth in a ziplock bag and forget about it.

Reactions: Jow

BILJ

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
OP: Just a piece of advice: You should follow the instructions on the BKF package:

Soft Cleanser

How to use BKF Soft Cleanser
  • Shake well before using.
  • Squeeze BKF onto wet surface or damp sponge.
  • Rub onto soiled surface.
  • Rinse thoroughly within one minute of application.
  • Wipe surface dry.

A Word of Caution about BKF
Because our Soft Cleanser is acidic and contains polishing compounds, BKF may etch or dull delicate surfaces. Before applying to fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum or brushed metal surfaces, such as appliance exteriors, test in a small, hidden area first.

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com.au/how-to-use/

I wouldn’t use Windex to wash the acidic BKF away. I know there’s been a YouTuber who doesn’t even own a Cybertruck recommending that, but I wouldn’t do that to my DeLorean. I would want to neutralize the acid in the BKF right away which is what the rinsing ( with water) does. That’s how I use it. I don’t use Windex on the car either, because the Florida DeLorean Club found that with continued use, it leaves a film buildup ( especially in the heat of summer), but to each their own.

I guess we’ll see what an application of an acidic substance followed by a product that contains ammonia does to stainless. Maybe there’s nothing to worry about, but what’s the long term impact?

https://whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/windex/windex-original-glass-cleaner

Also, the black/ brown stain on the cloth is metal oxidation that the BKF removed.
Yes Windex contains surfactants and leaves a residue after wiping it dry. When I would clean a large area of tile floor by hand with Windex, I found the area to still be a little “slippery” when walking around in socks. I have to use Windex, I now give the area a 2nd wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the slippery film.
I would agree that after using anything to clean the CT, it should be washed clean water, or maybe soap and water.
Perhaps there is something else that can be applied to make it more stain resistant (WD-40?). It’s an interesting learning experience on how to best clean and preserve stainless steel.
With the DeLorean, I assume you had to avoid anything abbrssive, is that right?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes Windex contains surfactants and leaves a residue after wiping it dry. When I would clean a large area of tile floor by hand with Windex, I found the area to still be a little “slippery” when walking around in socks. I have to use Windex, I now give the area a 2nd wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the slippery film.
I would agree that after using anything to clean the CT, it should be washed clean water, or maybe soap and water.
Perhaps there is something else that can be applied to make it more stain resistant (WD-40?). It’s an interesting learning experience on how to best clean and preserve stainless steel.
With the DeLorean, I assume you had to avoid anything abbrssive, is that right?
Your experience with Windex aligns with our experience. As we learned, the best product for quick maintenance is no product. Anyone who is trying to sell a product won’t tell you that.
Regarding abrasive products and the DeLorean, it is grained. So, any scratches can be buffed out by “following the grain” with a special scotch brite pad. Similarly, when using Barkeepers Friend which has an abrasive compound in it, we always follow the grain.
Of course it will be a different approach with the Cybertruck.
Sponsored