TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
If it's 30° F outsides then yes, it won't take long to heat the sheet metal by 2°.

But the problem with this is the fact that it's common that a lot of cars and trucks can't melt ice on the exterior when they can't output enough heat overcome -30° temperatures.
If it can't, how are you going to see out your windshield?
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
With impenetrable windows and no handles, what are you supposed to do if the battery dies? It does happen ....
Impenatrable windows? :unsure:

Dang! I guess that means when we get locked out we can no longer smash a side window to get in. Elon must not have thought this through too well, that was always such a handy way to get in in a pinch! We are really screwed now. :rolleyes:

/s

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
You said defrost doesn't work in -30.
You must be from the part of the country where frosty windows means they shut down the city?
There is a system on all cars, called the windshield defroster. It blows hot air directly at your windshield. That's the big piece of glass in front of your face that you look through. Now, this may seem strange but no vehicles have a door jamb perimeter defroster. It might seem strange but the ice on the outside of your car, far away from the heat vents, isn't not easily melted.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My biggest concern is if this introduces some sort of reliance on a bluetooth connection or app connection, there will be problems. I'm hoping there's some manual-ish way to still open the vehicle.
I really don't understand the concern. With the Model 3 you can mix/match multiple ways to unlock a door:

1) Phone app
2) Key Card
3) Key Fob Remote

My Model 3 is set to lock when I walk away from it. That means I need one of the three methods to re-gain entry anyway. My phone works so well I just use that unless I'm parked at home and find myself with the phone still in the house. Then I just swipe my wallet near the B pillar. The Key Card is a bombproof backup to your cell phone. I've never needed or wanted the key fob. I don't see how this is any different. If you want to leave it unlocked, it will probably have a proximity sensor so you can open it again by swiping your hand near it or make a peace sign with your hand near the side camera or something similar.

I have zero concerns with how well it will work. I've always been happy with the functionality of Tesla products before because they think through these things. If they over-look some special use scenario, people will let Elon know on Twitter and there will be a free software update to add new functionality and solve the issue. Not a problem.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it works like the Model 3, yes.

You can even maintain a list of "favorite places" so it will auto-lock everywhere but at your special locations.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So, when you accidentally slam the door on your fingers, trapping yourself, what do you wiggle to break free?
The doors are made of thick stainless steel. There are 2 possibilities. Either the door will not latch shut because the doors will not bend at all so if your fingers are in the way they will prevent the door from going closed enough to latch. OR... The door will latch but your fingers will have been cut off by the unbendable steel. Either way, you will still have both hands free. Well, 1 hand will be 100% free. The other one might have some missing pieces somewhere in the door jamb.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guarantee this is going to freeze up, and not going to work. I've never had a vehicle that at some point during the winter I'm full force yanking the door open because there is a bead of ice around the door frame. I don't see how some auto actuating motors are going to provide enough leverage to overcome this from the hinge side. This sure seems like a dumb idea.
I used to use silicone spray around the door seal area when I lived in Alaska. That seemed to work well if I recall correctly (no promises) :)

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I never thought of that. That is another reason to remove the handle. He is probably making a floater out of CT and adding a propeller to the back in case you need to cross a lake.
But what if the battery dies? Then you’d need a manual propeller! ;)