Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Well, there's a small overlap. Right now it is bigger since there are no electric trucks.

But they will both have a four-door cab, lockable storage, and similar cargo capacity. The disconnect will happen when someone wants something 'to throw lumber into', a longer bed, longer range, more cargo capacity, more durable materials, a little more ground clearance...

Rivian is going for something a little more maneuverable than Tesla is. Like the difference between the Taycan and the S... Slight, but it's there. And Rivian is already testing their SUV.

-Crissa
Yes, but let's face it: Rivian is so....how do you say it? ......... Conventional! Cybertruck is boldly different, going where no pickup truck has dared to venture before! It's a Starfighter on wheels! Just what the circumstances call for!
Sponsored

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
TESLA CYBERTRUCK: ELON MUSK REVEALS UPDATED VERSION MAY BE UNVEILED SOON

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-tweaked-version

A REVISED VERSION OF THE TESLA CYBERTRUCK MAY BE UNVEILED "IN A MONTH OR SO," ELON MUSK REVEALED SUNDAY.

The all-electric truck, first revealed in November 2019, is set to hit roads in late 2021. Musk, the Tesla CEO who presented the truck at the Tesla Design Studio in Los Angeles 12 months ago, suggested via his Twitter page Sunday that the company would soon show images of how the truck has changed over the past year. In response to a question about whether the Cybertruck will be an "ass-kicker," Musk replied that it's "basically a tank from the future that’s road-legal, so yeah."

The reveal could answer some of the biggest questions about the Cybertruck's evolving design. Musk has regularly teased that the final version of the Cybertruck will be better than the prototype. During last month's third-quarter 2020 earnings call, Musk said there are "a lot of small improvements compared to what was unveiled," and that the final truck will be "better than what we showed."

"With Tesla, we really aim to make the car that is delivered better than the car that is unveiled," Musk said in the call. "It always drove me crazy. Car companies would unveil these awesome looking cars. Like great, can't wait til they make that! And then the car they actually make is much worse. It's, like, really disappointing."

How will it change is the big question. In February, Musk outlined a couple of planned changes. This included a revised body width from 84 inches down to 82 inches and "upper laser blade lights" as standard. The specifications provided at the truck's unveiling claimed it measured 79.8 inches wide, 75 inches tall and 231.7 inches long.

In a May appearance on Jay Leno's Garage, Musk claimed the final design would be around five percent smaller. However, soon after this clip went live, Musk explained that he'd reviewed the car with head of design Franz von Holzhausen and even reducing the size three percent would not be possible. He also wrote that the car would be "pretty much this size."

Another planned change, as mentioned in May, is a "smaller, tight world truck at some point." This alternative version would be intended for markets like Europe with smaller roads. Musk has confirmed he's not against shipping the full-size version to Australia and New Zealand.

Tesla is also expected to tweak the alloy used in the Cybertruck. Musk explained in July that SpaceX is "rapidly changing alloy constituents & forming methods" as it develops its Mars-bound Starship, and the Cybertruck is also expected to receive changes. The truck's angular design comes form the fact that it uses ultra-hard 30X steel that makes shaping difficult.

The Tesla Cybertruck is expected to start shipping in limited quantities by the end of 2021. The truck starts at $39,900 for a single-motor rear-wheel-drive version with 250 miles of range, going up to a $69,900 version with tri-motor all-wheel-drive and over 500 miles of range.

Central to Tesla's production plans is Giga Texas. This new facility, under construction in Austin, will produce Cybertruck, the upcoming Semi truck, and Model 3 and Model Y cars for the eastern half of North America.

THE INVERSE ANALYSIS – It will be interesting to see how the Cybertruck changes before production. Fans witnessed a similar tweaking process before the Model 3 hit roads in July 2017, like sensor changes and tweaks to charging port colors.

Another change could be the addition of physical side mirrors. Current prototypes appear to use a camera-based system instead. While United States law currently requires cars to come with physical mirrors, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has explored changing the rule. Whether that change comes before the Cybertruck launches is another question.
I just hope Elon's "month or so" and "soon" are not equivalent to estimated production dates. Lord, I'm already 69 years old!

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I just hope Elon's "month or so" and "soon" are not equivalent to estimated production dates. Lord, I'm already 69 years old!
So you’ll be getting FSD??? ??

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
Kinda wish he would just shut his yap unless he has something to say. Its annoying the way he toys with his faithful.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Kinda wish he would just shut his yap unless he has something to say. Its annoying the way he toys with his faithful.
If you don't want to hear what he has to say, then quit reading what he writes and quit listening when he speaks! It really is as simple as that.

Seriously, it's no different than people who don't want to hear your entitled whining! If they don't like it, they know where to go where it won't be.

I just wish Elon would join this forum so he could tell us directly! ?

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
(Elon) has earned the right to say what he wants about his creation and, without even knowing your awesome contributions to society, I'm guessing he has earned a greater right to talk about it as he sees fit compared to your perceived right to bother us with your whining about it.
Turns out that in the future, Skidmarks68 actually cures cancer and Alzheimers... Who knew that Skidmark would be the one.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Mr. Musk and his leadership team are marketing experts. I have given the highly anticipated reveal a lot of thought and here is my prediction on how it will play out.

The production version debut of the CT will not happen until the closest BEV competitor, the Rivian R1T, hits the streets in June. The timing will knock the wind out of the Rivian R1T debut and make reservation holders think twice and possibly hold out for the lower priced alternative from Tesla, the Cybertruck. It will also cause the mainstream media to report on the production version of the CT and this will overshadow the debut of the Rivian pickup.

So my guess is we are about 2.5 months from seeing the public reveal of the Cybertruck. I do know one thing. This truck is going to be a huge disrupter in the pickup truck market. The Big 3 pickup truck platform leadership teams will be shaking In their boots about future employment when the details and final styling of the Cybertruck are publicly revealed for the first time.
Yes, but exactly WHICH June will Rivian actually hit? I'm sure Rivian has its share of "or so's" as well. "Put the popcorn on and get me a beer, Mable! We may as well sit on the porch and watch the grass grow!" Pun intended.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
We are probably within "a whisker" of "or so". ;)
Reminds me of my grandfather's measurements. "It's just over yonder", and then there's "down the road a piece"! Not exact science, but hey. :p

LTN COLUMBO

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DUSTER PRESTIGE
Country flag
Une bonne démarche commerciale vis-à-vis de ses concurrents et c'est déjà 20% de CT en plus!
les concurrents ont le droit d'avoir peur !

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I predict that Mr. Musk will unveil the production version of the Cybertruck at the new Austin, TX assembly plant. It will happen outside in front of a completed building that has been landscaped and will occur sometime in June.

Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! 1C939573-64B9-4F06-A00D-95DBCEC68F07
Sponsored