Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Just in from Elon:

In end, we kept production design almost exactly same as show car. Just some small tweaks here & there to make it slightly better. No door handles. Car recognizes you & opens door. Having all four wheels steer is amazing for nimble handling & tight turns!

Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Truck gets lonely parked on street all day, sees me approaching from across the street and in it's excitement forgets to look both ways before popping the doors open to welcome me back. Just as a taxi careens down the street and gets clotheslined by the CT.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Well, there's our confirmation on what exactly no handles means. I assume there's still a manual way to open the door because the last thing I need is my CT not opening because I shaved my beard or skipped the contacts and stayed in glasses that day.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Truck gets lonely parked on street all day, sees me approaching from across the street and in it's excitement forgets to look both ways before popping the doors open to welcome me back. Just as a taxi careens down the street and gets clotheslined by the CT.
That poor taxi..... ? ?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Well, there's our confirmation on what exactly no handles means. I assume there's still a manual way to open the door because the last thing I need is my CT not opening because I shaved my beard or skipped the contacts and stayed in glasses that day.
Do you like to train your other finger for recognition on your phone? No thanks. Not me. Well now that becomes would you like to train your many stages of beard given you have never been happy to keep it the same for more than a month your whole life. F. I guess i have to do that one. Maybe it uses your phone to recognize proximity and the camera super computer ai to learn your many face stages.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I think you'll be ok! If it works like the roadster prototypes, then it'll also open with a touch and your Bluetooth key nearby.
Also, all Teslas come with an accessible manual door release on the driver and front passenger doors.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
The no door handles thing is what Elon calls "principle first" design. This is an assumption on my part. The handle being presented to you has a lot of challenges with small moving parts. The handle being always exposed increases the drag coefficient. The train of thought is, "what about no part?"
While non traditional, the idea of using technology to simply remove mechanical parts is certainly a good one imho.

Then again, everything is just an idea until it's actually tried. Maybe the no door handles idea will fail miserably. But I doubt it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think you'll be ok! If it works like the roadster prototypes, then it'll also open with a touch and your Bluetooth key nearby.
Also, all Teslas come with an accessible manual door release on the driver and front passenger doors.
I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the time it'll work just how I'd like it to and look cool to boot.

But I want someone to show me how a fireman removes me from the car when I'm unconscious. I want to know that my friends dog or kid jumping on the door isn't going to pop it open when I don't want to.

This just feels like a way of introducing problems to a situation when there is already a perfectly reasonable solution, a door handle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The no door handles thing is what Elon calls "principle first" design. This is an assumption on my part. The handle being presented to you has a lot of challenges with small moving parts. The handle being always exposed increases the drag coefficient. The train of thought is, "what about no part?"
While non traditional, the idea of using technology to simply remove mechanical parts is certainly a good one imho.

Then again, everything is just an idea until it's actually tried. Maybe the no door handles idea will fail miserably. But I doubt it.
The handles on my Model Y are quite good. They don't stick out and I doubt they cause much drag.

There are moving parts, but it doesn't require a motor which can wear out to open and close the door.

It is entirely possible the no handles thing is stronger, lighter, and more reliable than actually having handles.

I'm sure I'll be fine with it. It just seems like begging for reliability issues. The early Model S and Model X had issues with door handles and the gull wing doors respectively.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Aside from just facial recognition (if that is the meaning behind Elon's tweet), wouldn't your phone typically trigger the door to open when within a certain proximity?

idc about handles vs no handles personally, that's far from a big deal to me, but I'll take whatever works best.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I am sure that federal regulations require that there be emergency ingress and egress on all vehicles.and even if there weren't, Tesla is all about safety soi have condie ce that they would cover this.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The handles on my Model Y are quite good. They don't stick out and I doubt they cause much drag.

There are moving parts, but it doesn't require a motor which can wear out to open and close the door.

It is entirely possible the no handles thing is stronger, lighter, and more reliable than actually having handles.

I'm sure I'll be fine with it. It just seems like begging for reliability issues. The early Model S and Model X had issues with door handles and the gull wing doors respectively.
I got what you're throwing down. I'm my model 3, anyone can open the doors if they're unlocked. I imagine the same would be true with the CT.
How did a fireman open a door that's locked? Bust the window.
How does a fireman open a door with no handles that is unlocked? The same way you do, with a touch.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the doors aren't coming with no way to open them except your face or phone. Anyone can open all other Tesla models, including the touch handles of the X, assuming they are unlocked. Which is also true for any other door.

One other thing I was thinking, most accidents where you can't open your own door will warp the car enough that is doesn't really matter--the doors are jammed. For this reason, rescue folks will just default to window busting. Your car is already messed up....

Cheers!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Do you like to train your other finger for recognition on your phone? No thanks. Not me. Well now that becomes would you like to train your many stages of beard given you have never been happy to keep it the same for more than a month your whole life. F. I guess i have to do that one. Maybe it uses your phone to recognize proximity and the camera super computer ai to learn your many face stages.
If the recognition is based on face, try not to train it to recognize when you are TOO hairy. Wouldn’t want it to start recognizing bears and opening the doors for them.
Sponsored