Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
It would be cool if it would recognize and admit my kids based on their faces and the fact that they have ridden in my vehicle before. It would not be so cool to do the same for my ex-girlfriends.
Or mistresses!
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think you'll be ok! If it works like the roadster prototypes, then it'll also open with a touch and your Bluetooth key nearby.
Also, all Teslas come with an accessible manual door release on the driver and front passenger doors.
doesn't they X have auto-opening doors?

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I got what you're throwing down. I'm my model 3, anyone can open the doors if they're unlocked. I imagine the same would be true with the CT.
How did a fireman open a door that's locked? Bust the window.
How does a fireman open a door with no handles that is unlocked? The same way you do, with a touch.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the doors aren't coming with no way to open them except your face or phone. Anyone can open all other Tesla models, including the touch handles of the X, assuming they are unlocked. Which is also true for any other door.

One other thing I was thinking, most accidents where you can't open your own door will warp the car enough that is doesn't really matter--the doors are jammed. For this reason, rescue folks will just default to window busting. Your car is already messed up....

Cheers!
If bullet proof glass is used, that might not be the case. It is a legitimate question to ask and certainly there are others asking the same question since it is a new technology. It is important to address all safety questions.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I dont understand why people have this hardcore attachment to what has been around instad of accepting new inventions. Why cant you accept the fact that cars are evolving? This goes to pretty much everything involving electric cars too but the handles complaining just sent me over the edge.

- If you dont like it then dont get a CT.
- If you plan on getting into an accident with an almost indestructible vehicle then dont get one
- If you cant handle new tech then dont get one
- If you cant adapt to new technologies especially for travel then go back to horse and buggy.

You want to knit pick about not having handles then how are we suppose to get to flying cars or any new evolution of transportation? You want to complain then I'll complain about people complaining holding human civilization back. I'm sure someone is gonna rebuttal about what I said cuz theres always someone but... damn people... NEW TECH!... come on

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If bullet proof glass is used, that might not be the case. It is a legitimate question to ask and certainly there are others asking the same question since it is a new technology. It is important to address all safety questions.
Crissa was saying that you can use the pointed glass break hammers on them still. I have no idea, but I'm going to guess Tesla will have a guide for first responders like they do for their other vehicles which will explain multiple ways to get into the vehicle assuming the car was unable to automatically pop the doors open when it detects a crash. Given many cars already unlock their doors in this scenario, the car attempting to the pop the door openers is very reasonable I think. If the door is jammed, then the first responder training would likely explain this means the doors are damaged and to use the appropriate tools... glass break hammers, jaws of life, Type IV Transporter from a nearby shuttlecraft. Whichever is available. :)

Wpsinc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the time it'll work just how I'd like it to and look cool to boot.

But I want someone to show me how a fireman removes me from the car when I'm unconscious. I want to know that my friends dog or kid jumping on the door isn't going to pop it open when I don't want to.

This just feels like a way of introducing problems to a situation when there is already a perfectly reasonable solution, a door handle.
I’m sure it will work just fine - until it doesn’t.

jdcook72

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3 LR RWD, 2019 M3 DM, Cybertruck TM preorder
Country flag
This was Musk's position on it in the past. There was V2G on the roadster, but no one used it... but that was a long time ago now.
Agreed. I think the ecosystem has changed A LOT since the original roadster. We added solar at the beginning of the year but opted not to include battery at the time. We have a reservation for CT3 and our plan is to use it for emergency backup power. Not as automated as Powerwall option but our grid is very stable, out maybe a handful of times in the last 14 years, not more that a few hours. Battery would be low value add. CT3 roughly equal to 7 Powerwalls and when the grid isn't out, it's still a truck, battery just hangs there. Way better value. V2G automation would be optimal but worse case, throw the transfer switch and plug the house into the truck's 220 outlet. Done.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I’m sure it will work just fine - until it doesn’t.
Then use the alternative method, there will be one I'm pretty certain... maybe a button on the pillar above the door.

I actually had a door handle fall off my RX8. No way to open the door, had to use the other door.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I didn't realize Tesla already does this with the Model X... though the X also has handles.

From the looks of it, you don't actually touch the door on the X.

Anyone know what happens if you walk up then turn around and walk away? Just sits there open?
Steve Jobs eat your heart out.

Wpsinc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If this is true, it's news to me. Are you sure about this?

I know the F150 Lightning is supposed to have full home backup, but that is different from vehicle to grid. Any V2G setup requires special switching at your home as well.
While the F150 runs on Gas and can recharge - not sure I’d want to plug the Tesla into the house to run the AC and Fridge. If the power is out, no gas pumps run, no way to recharge the Tesla - do you really want to drain the battery and brick the truck? Better off getting a separate gas or battery for the house.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
While the F150 runs on Gas and can recharge - not sure I’d want to plug the Tesla into the house to run the AC and Fridge. If the power is out, no gas pumps run, no way to recharge the Tesla - do you really want to drain the battery and brick the truck? Better off getting a separate gas or battery for the house.
The CT3 can run your fridge and charge your cell phones and tablets for a VERY long time... Little danger of bricking the truck. Secondly, you can monitor the usage from your phone or the truck and stop using it once it hit some percentage threshold you're comfortable with.
Sponsored