Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
So I ordered a piece of 5"x5"x3mm SS online, so I can see just what the CT skin/exo is going to look like, here it is. It's 304 stainless. This is definitely thicker than a quarter. Feels awesome in my hand. Kind of like having a piece of Cybertruck with me already. I'll take it.

Tesla Cybertruck 304 stainless steel piece received. Taking partial delivery of Cybertruck/ Mobsters are threatening to return Cybertruck piece by piece 20210728_205756
Tesla Cybertruck 304 stainless steel piece received. Taking partial delivery of Cybertruck/ Mobsters are threatening to return Cybertruck piece by piece 20210728_205800
Sponsored

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I want one! How much? Where'd you but it?

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I also have a piece with the exact same dimensions and the same 304 SS, but I bought mine off of Amazon for around $18. I'd post the link, but it's not available anymore (I bought it on November 25th, 2019). I'm sure one can probably find a similar piece from another vendor on Amazon or buy it from the eBay link shared by Cyberman.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The Tesla 30x SS is probably much closer to 304 than 316 and will be work hardened (Squeezed through rollers). It is likely that the hardness will be "half hard" as this is about the maximum hardness obtainable for 304.

This brings up an interesting topic IMO. Will the mill ship annealed SS on rolls and then Tesla will work-hardened into larger flat sheets at the factory?

300 series SS is typically annealed meaning it is softened for better forming and machining and is what is shown in the previous posts

https://www.makeitfrom.com/material-properties/Half-Hard-304-Stainless-Steel

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
It is useless to argue now what steel is used by Space X/Tesla.
But if I would design the spacecraft, I would definitely prefer much stronger 316. I did work with both, including manual filing of the complex shapes.
Tesla could order even stronger custom steel with higher content of titanium, molybdenum, or tungsten.
After all they need max heat resistance.

Last edited:

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
With the totally redesigned cast substructure and battery pack, I would not be surprised if the upper stainless steel body is made lighter with a reduced metal thickness in many areas.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
Keep in mind that ct steel will be cold rolled, which is a much higher quality steel. note the difference between the rule on a starret combination sqaure vs your standard, cheaper combo square rule
Sponsored