Is the stainless steel used in the Cyber Truck attracted to a magnet or not?

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Often those laser etched blades are just as good or better knives than the "Damascus". Damascus, wootz, and folded steel were techniques designed to mitigate the limitations of crappy base metals. With newer high quality steels we have, it's just beauty marks.
That is correct, Crissa, but there are blade makers who use the Damascus techniques with the better grade steels rather than "crappy base metals" to give one the advantage of high quality high carbon steels and a true Damascus also. As I said which supports what you said, "all that glitters is not gold", but on the same token, just because it appears to be gold indeed does not mean it is crap either. I can refer you to a skilled and honest bladesman to add to your collection if you like. I have both polished blades and Damascus of many types. This man is an artisan and a craftsman. All his blades are handmade, from daggers to 40" two handed swords, as well as hunting spear tips, (we have feral hogs here). My favorite is my Gladius. All are not only works of art, but are fully functional too, not simply wall-hangers. Sure, you can always find people who will sell substandard merchandise dressed up to look good to the uninitiated, but that doesn't mean that the entire class is to be rejected. Saint Bernard dogs will never be the same as a breed because of extensive inbreeding during the height of their popularity, but that doesn't detract from their historical superiority that made them so popular in the first place. Just because somebody thought each pup was born with a keg of brandy hanging around its neck didn't make it true! LOL!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That is correct, Crissa, but there are blade makers who use the Damascus techniques with the better grade steels rather than "crappy base metals" to give one the advantage of high quality high carbon steels and a true Damascus also.
Damascus & folding were techniques developed hundreds of years ago to strengthen poor grade steels. They are much stronger and hold an edge better than other blades made at that time. There are modern steels which don't have the sort of defects in metals they had 1000 years ago.

Modern steel does not need techniques like Damascus or Folding. It makes for a rad-looking blade, but it does not perform any better.

Also, I am not Crissa.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Damascus & folding were techniques developed hundreds of years ago to strengthen poor grade steels. They are much stronger and hold an edge better than other blades made at that time. There are modern steels which don't have the sort of defects in metals they had 1000 years ago.

Modern steel does not need techniques like Damascus or Folding. It makes for a rad-looking blade, but it does not perform any better.

Also, I am not Crissa.
True. I happen to like a "rad-looking" blade that performs great and not a fake etching. The etching doesn't hold up. I returned one of those for refund and got it. Maybe just one doesn't represent all laser etching, but I like what this man builds. His tomahawks are great too. I have a great assortment, and he is priced about 25% of Cold Steel, being located in Pakistan. He is very personable and very accessible as well. We remain in regular contact. His brother, the president of the business, is located locally in DeQueen Arkansas. I have spoken to both of them . Excellent source for good blades at great prices.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
True. I happen to like a "rad-looking" blade that performs great and not a fake etching. The etching doesn't hold up. I returned one of those for refund and got it. Maybe just one doesn't represent all laser etching, but I like what this man builds. His tomahawks are great too. I have a great assortment, and he is priced about 25% of Cold Steel, being located in Pakistan. He is very personable and very accessible as well. We remain in regular contact. His brother, the president of the business, is located locally in DeQueen Arkansas. I have spoken to both of them . Excellent source for good blades at great prices.
Sorry! I could have sworn you were Crissa!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
True. I happen to like a "rad-looking" blade that performs great and not a fake etching. The etching doesn't hold up.
I hear you.

I do appreciate Damascus even on modern blades as well.

Sorry! I could have sworn you were Crissa!
Easy to mistake us, We have similar beards.

(Sorry @Crissa couldn't resist, please don't hate me)

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I hear you.

I do appreciate Damascus even on modern blades as well.

Easy to mistake us, We have similar beards.

(Sorry @Crissa couldn't resist, please don't hate me)
I KNOW! The resemblance is uncanny!

NitroScot

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Nitro Ice Cream
Country flag
Do we have magnetic data and could this be effective for accent colors/personal business branding over just vinyl?