Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Since apparently nobody got the reference…

Spouse took her friends to a Primus concert last fall... So yeah.

Tho, this is more what was in my head, to be honest:

The beat is like a truck on a concrete highway.

-Crissa
Sponsored

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I think installing the fourth Press this early is an indication Austin will blow the 200,000 estimates out of the water.

I think a pair is capable of more than 250,000.
Closer to 300-350,000.

3 Presses could easily handle the estimated 200,000 cars produced this year. (includes about 50% downtime)

By installing a fourth this early could be a case of 'why not?' , but maybe it indicates the ramp is quicker than what we are thinking.

Perhaps closer to 400,000+ than 200,000.
Or............ Go with me on this

We all know there will be a clear difference between Freemont and Austin Model Y's Front/Rear Castings, 4680s, Structural battery pack and World's Best Paint Shop. Question: Why would anyone ever want a Freemont Model Y?

No how about the Giga Presses are all for Model Y in Austin (500k production). Freemont shifts Model Y production entirely to Austin (equally made) and Freemont switches their Model Y to Model 3 production???

Is that crazy talk?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

We all know there will be a clear difference between Freemont and Austin Model Y's Front/Rear Castings, 4680s, Structural battery pack and World's Best Paint Shop. Question: Why would anyone ever want a Freemont Model Y?

No how about the Giga Presses are all for Model Y in Austin (500k production). Freemont shifts Model Y production entirely to Austin (equally made) and Freemont switches their Model Y to Model 3 production???

Is that crazy talk?
That doesn't sound like something Tesla would do because they are laser focused on production/delivery efficiency in order to bring the most value to customers. This is what will ensure they can continue to grow production and no one can stand in their way. California is a huge auto market and it makes sense to have the shorter delivery path.

When you have a production line installed, tuned and running like a well-oiled machine, the last thing you want to do is shut it down.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
That doesn't sound like something Tesla would do because they are laser focused on production/delivery efficiency in order to bring the most value to customers. This is what will ensure they can continue to grow production and no one can stand in their way. California is a huge auto market and it makes sense to have the shorter delivery path.

When you have a production line installed, tuned and running like a well-oiled machine, the last thing you want to do is shut it down.
Yep, Crazy talk. God, I need to step away from the computer. My rational Mind is deteriorating

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
Could be one pair for model y and one pair for Cybertruck. Fremont is already making model y’s too. Unless they’ll stop making model y’s there. What are the chances no Cybertrucks are made this year ? I really hope they aren’t pushed till end of 2023…

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Is that crazy talk?
Or… upgrade Fremont to be the same as Austin.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I really hope this is the gigapress for the CT. The first gigapress arrived in Austin on the 21st of January last year. The first preproduction Model Y rolled out in August. That was in a factory that was only partially operational with open walls and suffering from seasonal torrential rains.

So, if this is the gigapress for the CT (and they say it appears bigger) August could be the time things get wild.

Some interesting pieces are turning up in the bins outside the factory as well...

The drones are descending on the factory in the morning so we're definitely going to know more soon.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The drones are descending on the factory in the morning so we're definitely going to know more soon.
Trying to keep my expectations under control.

Seems like we’ve had this fire-drill too many times.

With the walls up and everything under wraps I’m not sure if there will be any clues about whether this is for CT or MY.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's no way for you to know if a Model Y comes from Fremont of Austin when it shows up at your pickup point.

My theory is that they're going to expand Model 3 production as Model Y production is displaced in Austin.

They have alot of room to drop the price to generate demand, too. Back down to that $35K.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is apparently press number 4.

Tesla currently has 3 installed and they are used in pairs (one for the front assembly and one for the rear). Each pair is capable of producing 250,000 cars or trucks per year.

So either this is the second half of Tesla’s Cybertruck setup (a 6k for the front and an 8k for the rear), or they are planning on having capacity for 500,000+ Model Ys by year end.

Seems like the timing is right for the 8k Ton press…. Also feels like it’s too early to be thinking about producing more than 250k Model Ys
Where did you hear they they work in pairs, because that doesn't make sense. Yes, it is more efficient to keep making a single type of part. Maybe they need three machines in case one has a problem. The simple fact that they have 4 doesn't tell us anything.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There's no way for you to know if a Model Y comes from Fremont of Austin when it shows up at your pickup point.

My theory is that they're going to expand Model 3 production as Model Y production is displaced in Austin.

They have alot of room to drop the price to generate demand, too. Back down to that $35K.

-Crissa
Unless they change the Fremont factory Model Ys will continue to use the 2170 cells there, while they will be using the 4680 cells and structural pack at GA. Moreover, the Fremont paint factory is nothing compared to the GA paint factory. Although it isn't certain, there is no evidence that the Fremont Model Ys will have a single-piece front casting. I will reject my Model Y if it doesn't come out of Austin, and it is a huge concern for me.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If a machine can make x parts per year, having four machines tells us they can male 4*x parts. If they need n parts per car, that means the total cars is (4*x)/n.

You can say the Austin Ys will be better - but when they start showing up at Tesla service centers to be picked up, they're not going to say anything on them that'll tell you the difference.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Is that crazy talk?
Yes, it is. It will take a year to bring the GA factory up to the production level that Fremont currently has, and Fremont cannot keep up with the Model Y demand now (delivery dates are already out into the summer). So they will have different Model Ys at each of the 4 plants. I agree that I do not want my Model Y coming from Fremont.
Sponsored