Deleted member 3316

We're talking the midgate, an apparently you can't be arsed to tie down your load before operating it.
-Crissa
I’m not sure if you’re just being belligerent or if you honestly don’t understand the failure mode I’m trying to articulate to you. The likelyhood of something inadvertently dropping in to the cavity is significantly higher when the opening is at the bed level as opposed to what is pictured below.

All of the other doors you’ve mention function in open space or swing into an accessible space. The Tonneau does not. This is a special case when thinking about possible obstructions to function.

Yes, I think I see your point. fiinallly lol.
My take was that the seat is an independent item which needs to be folded down … But behind the seat is a configuration as per picture below.

The Tonneau is never exposed to the bed.

1645505230309.png
Are we talking about the same thing?

A Midgate significantly complicates and compromises storage of a rolltop tonneau cover.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That design could be worst case/basic scenario. Nothing to do with allowing for pass-through. IMO

Pass through discussion was after that, I might be wrong, but I think Elon was asked about it, and he replied yes or something.

From then, we have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Of course, the tonneau won't be exposed to your sand

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All of the other doors you’ve mention function in open space or swing into an accessible space. The Tonneau does not. This is a special case when thinking about possible obstructions to function.
You don't want the Cybertruck. I get it. The roll-up tonneau is too much risk for you.

But the case of, 'My toolbox slid atop the midgate and now I can't close it' seems like 'move the toolbox', not 'the midgate is impossible'.

I have never owned a vehicle without spots where stuff could fall into a mechanical cavity at some point. A wrench could fall into the hinge of the tailgate and ruin it - we shouldn't have tailgates. A load of soil will foul up the doors to the power and air, we can't have them! This is the argument you're making. The midgate is right there, next to three open doors. Unlike the hinge of the tailgate or the vault tonneau cavity.

I just reflexively dislike negative ninnies. We don't know until we try.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You don't want the Cybertruck. I get it. The roll-up tonneau is too much risk for you.

But the case of, 'My toolbox slid atop the midgate and now I can't close it' seems like 'move the toolbox', not 'the midgate is impossible'.

I have never owned a vehicle without spots where stuff could fall into a mechanical cavity at some point. A wrench could fall into the hinge of the tailgate and ruin it - we shouldn't have tailgates. A load of soil will foul up the doors to the power and air, we can't have them! This is the argument you're making. The midgate is right there, next to three open doors. Unlike the hinge of the tailgate or the vault tonneau cavity.

I just reflexively dislike negative ninnies. We don't know until we try.

-Crissa
I think @***** is saying if the path of the cover is aft of the midgate instead of through the mid gate then obviously it is unworkable if the bed is loaded or an obstruction slides into the path.
There will have to be a bed wall at the front protecting the cover path. That wall has to be significant strength to prevent it being bent into the cover path. With a mid gate scenario that wall could only be attached at the sides with the attachment wider than the cover path, now if the gate is open there will be no path for the cover... as much as I want a mid gate and the cover I do not see how and eagerly await the magical surprise Tesla wizards pro...pro..pull a rabbit out of the hat

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
If they do a mid gate I can see dust/soil and small debris being a design challenge as it could fall into the slot when the mid gate is down and gunk up the tonneau storage area. However the toolbox example makes no sense to me.

I think @***** is saying if the path of the cover is aft of the midgate instead of through the mid gate then obviously it is unworkable if the bed is loaded or an obstruction slides into the path.
There will have to be a bed wall at the front protecting the cover path. That wall has to be significant strength to prevent it being bent into the cover path. With a mid gate scenario that wall could only be attached at the sides with the attachment wider than the cover path, now if the gate is open there will be no path for the cover... as much as I want a mid gate and the cover I do not see how and eagerly await the magical surprise Tesla wizards pro...pro..pull a rabbit out of the hat
It's quite clear the tonneau cover runs through the middle of the partition.

Tesla Cybertruck Folding rear seats (& center seat) confirmed in new Cybertruck patent! Points to possible pass through? 12rfd

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If they do a mid gate I can see dust/soil and small debris being a design challenge as it could fall into the slot when the mid gate is down and gunk up the tonneau storage area. However the toolbox example makes no sense to me.

12rfd.png
But that risk is still there with the current design.

-Crissa

Deleted member 3316

Omg…. Finally…. I feel like I was taking crazy pills… was I really that difficult to understand?

Deleted member 3316

However the toolbox example makes no sense to me.
Tool box issue is not relevant to the current design. Imagine if the bed wall as pictured wasn’t there, anything inadvertently loose in the tray could obstruct the path at the bed level.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Omg…. Finally…. I feel like I was taking crazy pills… was I really that difficult to understand?
I feel like that so often for my own posts, I asked my spouse about your posts several times trying to figure them out. Of course, she's like, 'I don't care, whatever they do they'll choose what works.' So helpful!

I'm thinking of the current partition could just be a flap with an open/closed sensor. It would tell you if it couldn't flip it open for the tonneau to pass. And it would block the storage drum like a gate so nothing fell in.

-Crissa

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
But that risk is still there with the current design.

-Crissa
Agreed, however that area is less vulnerable to what I mentioned than the bed floor.

Tool box issue is not relevant to the current design. Imagine if the bed wall as pictured wasn’t there, anything inadvertently loose in the tray could obstruct the path at the bed level.
I wasn't referring to the current design, I was referring to a situation where the bed wall is folded down and thus the slot on the bed floor is exposed. I don't see the issue of a toolbox being over it, you'll simply have to move the tool box if you want to operate the tonneau cover ... provided you could even do so in the first place when the mid gate is down.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am still trying to figure out how the midgate is different than the power cover, the air compressor cover, or the under bed storage cover (smuggler compartment as Crissa put it).

Dirt, debris, etc can get in the seals, could be damaged by different loads, and kept from closing (or opening).

How is the midgate that much different?

Or the ramp in the tailgate flap? Since it seems a flap was not good enough for the vault cover opening…

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The midgate opens into the cabin.

For me anyhow, that’s the big difference. If it leaks a little into the under vault storage, presumably there is a drain and you kind of expect things in the vault and potentially even the under vault area to get maybe a little wet.

A leak into the cabin would be nastier. That is apparently one of the bigger complaints about the Avalanche.

On the Cybertruck it would likely be less likely since the vault cover also blocks rain.

Anyhow. That’s my only concern about it. I think I could live with that small risk myself but I understand why it would concern people.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am still trying to figure out how the midgate is different than the power cover, the air compressor cover, or the under bed storage cover (smuggler compartment as Crissa put it).

Dirt, debris, etc can get in the seals, could be damaged by different loads, and kept from closing (or opening).

Or the ramp in the tailgate flap? Since it seems a flap was not good enough for the vault cover opening…
Well assuming they try to have both a mid-gate and rolling tonneau it is on the floor of the bed, in the corner where everything will slide to on a hard stop.

While it might be possible, both with suffer. Pick a mid-gate or the tonneau that rolls up in the floor. We don't need a half ass solution for both.
Sponsored