PAPAB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota Highlander 2022 Model Y LR
Country flag
Sandy Munro bets recently that the CT will have street by wire.....that should cut down on costs...do you agree Crissa?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Want a reliable off-road vehicle? Get a horse.

If Elon says you need AWS, you say “thank you”
You forgot to mention completely renewable, recyclable and with fully operational FSD with return to home feature. Self biofuel refueling to boot. Roads optional. Tax free. 😎

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tesla hasn't been able to get regulatory permission.

So I say no.

-Crissa
Is that meant to be "Steer by Wire"?

I expect the rear 4WS to be Steer by Wire. It's still a mechanical connection just by a row of electrons.

Last edited:

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
Personally don’t care for this feature. Gimmicky and cost increasing
Same here. I could see this useful for parallel parking. Hope this is an optional feature on my dual cyber truck.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla hasn't been able to get regulatory permission.

So I say no.

-Crissa
:oops:

If it is mechanically linked, it must have a way to engage/disengage for different scenarios (high/low speed) correct?

Sounds way more complicated to do mechanically- steer by wire would be so much better/simpler!

Do you think the prototype is drive by wire?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
:oops:

If it is mechanically linked, it must have a way to engage/disengage for different scenarios (high/low speed) correct?

Sounds way more complicated to do mechanically- steer by wire would be so much better/simpler!

Do you think the prototype is drive by wire?
The rear steering definitely is drive by wire, since it's not required by regulation.

But since the front steering is still required to aside permission.

And... you don't need to disengage to change the turning ratio. This isn't a bicycle chain.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
With 4WS thw rear axle will turn in the same direction whilst at speed and in the opposite direction at low speed. So it will have to change direction with vehicle velocity which is more complex to do mechanically. Further the steering angle is only a part of what the front can do, meaning that if the rear steering fails and locks up one can still compensate and steer straight with the front axle to come to a stop safely.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
Not really sure what happens when you swerve with AWS but here's what happens without:

1649631034291.png
Nice roof crush. Chevy should stop using paper mache as a raw material for their trucks.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The rear steering definitely is drive by wire, since it's not required by regulation.

But since the front steering is still required to aside permission.

And... you don't need to disengage to change the turning ratio. This isn't a bicycle chain.

-Crissa
Ok so maybe I was not understanding the original comment. It is OK to do steer by wire for rear wheels, just not for front?

I assumed rear wheel steering was all by wire (and that is what the video posted showed) and then thought you where saying regulators won't let that fly.

So to clarify, you are saying REAR steering can be by wire, front steering still needs to be mechanically linked due to regulation?

(And yes, I was starting to picture some really medieval mechanical systems to make 4 wheel steering be mechanically linked and have the ability to disengage 😫😅)