Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
It was said in the Munro video with the head engineers that the dual powerpack motors on the Sbw rack each provide steering input, but each motor alone is capable of providing 50%-60% of the needed power for high steering load applications. So yeah, they're double for fail state redundancy.

The fact that you don't realize that there's a motor controlling your power steering is a testament to their reliability. I can only think of two consumer vehicles on the market that still use hydraulic steering: Toyota Tacoma and Subaru WRX STi. There's a lot your electronic power steering (EPS) does that you might not even realize. Wheel imbalance feel reduction, constant drift mitigation, soft end stops, road noise feel reduction... etc. Since the physical connection between the hand wheel and steering rack is gone in the Cybertruck, many of those features will be more invisible to the end user, but will definitely still exist.
I have personally been doing all maintenance on my families 4 vehicles for 20 years. They rarely rarely go into the shop. I personally replaced the heads on my truck and personally replaced the clutch and entire breaking system recently. I do more auto maintenance than 99.9% of folks out there. My truck does not have a power steering motor. It has a $100 power steering pump driven by a belt rotated by the trucks engine.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Tesla service quoted me 2500$ to replace my model x
A large part of the cost is recalibrating the sensors/cameras in the windshield. I have a friend that does the calibrations and said the device cost him somewhere around $25k

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
I have personally been doing all maintenance on my families 4 vehicles for 20 years. They rarely rarely go into the shop. I personally replaced the heads on my truck and personally replaced the clutch and entire breaking system recently. I do more auto maintenance than 99.9% of folks out there. My truck does not have a power steering motor. It has a $100 power steering pump driven by a belt rotated by the trucks engine.
Fantastic. You would be very hard pressed to find a new vehicle that still uses HPS. If you can replace a power steering pump, you can replace an EPS power pack on the rack and you won't have to deal with fluids or parasitic load. EV's aren't unserviceable, they'll just require some additional skill set.

mike_elliott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla x
Country flag
A large part of the cost is recalibrating the sensors/cameras in the windshield. I have a friend that does the calibrations and said the device cost him somewhere around $25k
Unlike a lot of legacy cars, Recalibrating the cameras on a Tesla is a simple process done thru the service option on the cars touch screen.

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm more worried about the housing market bubble. People can afford 20-30K loss but not 200-300K :)

Before moving to Tesla's, I had a 2019 M5 Competition and 2020 BMW X7 M50i, both gulping down $1000/month on gas but annoying part was the time spent at dealership for recalls, repairs and oil changes. I bought the X7 at $110K and 3 yrs later, traded it in at 52K (44k miles).

Now, If I want to buy the same X7 again, its sitting at a little higher price tag of 113K unlike Model X @ 79K and Model S @ 75K

I moved to Tesla's with savings around $800+ /month on gas alone and not wasting time running around dealerships for service. Battery/Motor replacements are covered by 8 Yr/150K miles. Gas trucks/cars have little value left by then!

Deprecition is relative and Cybertruck will sell no matter what to every demographics! Who knows new cheeper solid state battery packs will make its way by 2025 that can be replaced by service center for reasonable price.
If well taken care of, the "Body" of a Tesla should be able to be kept for a very long time, and in the future, I believe there will be 3rd party support for upgraded batteries and allow these to run for a very long time. As long as we can keep the MCU and battery up to date. the rest of the components of the car should not require updating to keep it modern.

Skydog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Plaid
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
Via Cybertruck parts catalog: https://epc.tesla.com/en-US/catalogs/2816.

Some parts pricing:

Windshield wiper blade: $75
Windshield wiper arm & blade: $165
Windshield glass: $1900
Front steering actuator: $3300
Shatterproof side windows: $200-$260
Powered frunk & fascia: $1910 + $935
Front fenders: $550/each
35" All-Terrain A/T tire (Goodyear Wrangler Territory RT (285/65R20): $470/each

GBRSPSoXgAARs8h.jpeg

GBRBfvAWgAEga83.jpeg

GBRBKrIXoAA6zLc.jpg

GBRDClSXgAAe-8x.jpg

GBRMnrcW4AASSMB.jpg

GBRTBFiW8AIIXGS.jpg

GBRS3VfW4AAKYIc.jpg
Prices look really good right on with the market! Coming from a shop owner.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Fantastic. You would be very hard pressed to find a new vehicle that still uses HPS. If you can replace a power steering pump, you can replace an EPS power pack on the rack and you won't have to deal with fluids or parasitic load. EV's aren't unserviceable, they'll just require some additional skill set.
and $3300 per motor just in material cost apparently.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
and $3300 per motor just in material cost apparently.
I think that's the cost of the entire front rack. I would expect the power packs to cost $300-$500 new, and much less from a pick yard. Nice thing about the Cybertruck is that 1 crashed truck means 3 scrap power packs; 2 front, 1 rear, all interchangeable.

Beyond

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Austin Model Y LR, Subie Fozzie & Cybertruck day1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The fender prices are pretty reasonable. More-so if compared to fender replacement on a painted vehicle which is at least double when bodywork is considered. I think that puts to rest fears of i sane repair costs for fender benders.
The greater cost is replacing whatever hit the fender hard enough to damage it. 😂

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
I'm kinda bummed we can't buy the side panels direct, I'd love to make a cybertruck door table or something

Angle

First Name
baer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I'm kinda bummed we can't buy the side panels direct, I'd love to make a cybertruck door table or something
Draw outline, detail two bends. Order in stainless from Send Cut Send or Oshcut in Sus… done 😀

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I don't even mow my own lawn lol
I can share mine with you. I mow that too and might i say it would make Scotts proud. I went electric on the lawn equipment because I got of messing with carburetors and noise and fumes

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Via Cybertruck parts catalog: https://epc.tesla.com/en-US/catalogs/2816.

Some parts pricing:

Windshield wiper blade: $75
Windshield wiper arm & blade: $165
Windshield glass: $1900
Front steering actuator: $3300
Shatterproof side windows: $200-$260
Powered frunk & fascia: $1910 + $935
Front fenders: $550/each
35" All-Terrain A/T tire (Goodyear Wrangler Territory RT (285/65R20): $470/each

GBRSPSoXgAARs8h.jpeg

GBRBfvAWgAEga83.jpeg

GBRBKrIXoAA6zLc.jpg

GBRDClSXgAAe-8x.jpg

GBRMnrcW4AASSMB.jpg

GBRTBFiW8AIIXGS.jpg

GBRS3VfW4AAKYIc.jpg
A+✓ for everything bar the steering actuator. If that fails, the cost is gonna hurt the 'hipsters'
Sponsored