Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The Cybertruck isn't being made by Ford. So it's not news for it.

-Crissa
So you are saying IF tomorrow silverado RST and Lightning Platinum announced $30K pricing with 500,000/year capacity, that would have no impact on CT pricing?

I understand the current supply and demand situation and Tesla's dominance make it less relevant but I have a hard time believing people that are involved in setting the pricing for CT pay no attention to consumer choice and market condition. If they do, then it is news.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Anyone can sell a cheaper product and then go broke.

There are a million things that go into setting a price point. Comparing what others are doing is only a part of it.

To me, the biggest question is: If the CT is so superior to blow others out of the water, will Tesla set a price to obliterate or profit take.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To me, the biggest question is: If the CT is so superior to blow others out of the water, will Tesla set a price to obliterate or profit take.
Tesla is going to produce 250,000 - 500,000 trucks per year. Their job is to figure out how to maximize profits while selling every single truck they can manufacture.

Peopleā€™s idea of ā€œProfit Takingā€ seems to be pricing the truck at $100k and is generally quite foolish long term for Tesla. There are not enough buyers willing (or ABLE) to drop that kind of cash on a truck.

Huge numbers of trucks are sold to businesses which canā€™t spend $1,800/ month each on a dozen trucks or more. Ford and Rivian are able to skim the top 1% of buyers and sell their trucks at a big premium to the rest of the truck market. To sell 250k trucks/ year, Tesla needs to sell to the other 99% of truck buyers. (As will Ford and Rivian very soon)

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Tesla is going to produce 250,000 - 500,000 trucks per year. Their job is to figure out how to maximize profits while selling every single truck they can manufacture.

Peopleā€™s idea of ā€œProfit Takingā€ seems to be pricing the truck at $100k and is generally quite foolish long term for Tesla. There are not enough buyers willing (or ABLE) to drop that kind of cash on a truck.

Huge numbers of trucks are sold to businesses which canā€™t spend $1,800/ month each on a dozen trucks or more. Ford and Rivian are able to skim the top 1% of buyers and sell their trucks at a big premium to the rest of the truck market. To sell 250k trucks/ year, Tesla needs to sell to the other 99% of truck buyers. (As will Ford and Rivian very soon)
Basically this aint yo uncle Model S.

I truly don't think Tesla CARES about the S/X. It's such a SMALL percentage of revenue to them, and is such because the cost. They will make a truck trim for that market, but the affordability factor is keenly important here. We've seen capacity manufacturing being kept in mind, they're not gonna stray from that now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Basically this aint yo uncle Model S.

I truly don't think Tesla CARES about the S/X. It's such a SMALL percentage of revenue to them, and is such because the cost. They will make a truck trim for that market, but the affordability factor is keenly important here. We've seen capacity manufacturing being kept in mind, they're not gonna stray from that now.
Musk said outright that they are essentially hobby cars produced for nostalgia.

There is a good reason the best new tech comes to the Model Y and soon the Cybertruck. These are the volume vehicles. Tesla doesnā€™t need another low volume toy, they need high volume vehicles. The next car after the Cybertruck is going to be even higher volume/ lower price.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Musk said outright that they are essentially hobby cars produced for nostalgia.

There is a good reason the best new tech comes to the Model Y and soon the Cybertruck. These are the volume vehicles. Tesla doesnā€™t need another low volume toy, they need high volume vehicles. The next car after the Cybertruck is going to be even higher volume/ lower price.
That's my point, when people claim that "the Model X costs xxx so the Cybertruck will too!"

No. That's not at all the goal. I'm a realistic person, but am ready to be pleasantly surprised. They wanna take DOWN 3/Y pricing, and think it's inevitably going to DO such next year. Cybertruck is same. However, I am sure we will see some inSANE high price flips for the first year or so.

It will be unlike Ford/ Rivian flips. Heck, i watched a BRAND NEW Lightning go for $58k last week.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's my point, when people claim that "the Model X costs xxx so the Cybertruck will too!"

No. That's not at all the goal. I'm a realistic person, but am ready to be pleasantly surprised. They wanna take DOWN 3/Y pricing, and think it's inevitably going to DO such next year. Cybertruck is same. However, I am sure we will see some inSANE high price flips for the first year or so.

It will be unlike Ford/ Rivian flips. Heck, i watched a BRAND NEW Lightning go for $58k last week.
Flipping is going to happen very early on, itā€™s inevitable.

Only way to minimize it is to ramp production as quick as possible. The more trucks there are in the wild, the less premium flipped trucks will command.

Cybertexla

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Jeep Rubicons, 2 trucks, 2 HDMC, Cybertruck
Occupation
Building Inspector
Country flag
Just curious, has anyone heard what the ā€˜expectedā€™ price range will be? I placed my order like most of us the 2nd day of when announced in 2019. Back then they listed the ā€˜priceā€™ for a dual motor around $50k. Since they will be producing the ā€˜truā€™ motor first, I donā€™t mind upgrading, I would just like to know the expected price range. Thanks
Iā€™ve been waiting for any usable or real update information on the Cybertruck since it first roll out.
Iā€™ve lurked in these pages for quite some time. Mostly what I read is pure speculation primarily. Which makes sense since it seems the Cybertruck is kept shrouded in secret, Musk gives hints as to what we might expect, such as all wheel steering, amphibious capabilities, very impressive payload and towing stats, adjustable suspension for off-road use, electric power supply, solar backup battery for home solar power array, plug-in capabilities to run electrical tools or whatever, ramp tailgate, mid gate no mid gateā€¦etc, etcā€¦.however I suspect we really have no idea what to expect with pricing, upgrade options, standard equipment until we get the first few production models delivered.
Just my 2 cent opinion.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Which makes sense since it seems the Cybertruck is kept shrouded in secret, Musk gives hints as to what we might expect, such as all wheel steering, amphibious capabilities, very impressive payload and towing stats, adjustable suspension for off-road use, electric power supply, solar backup battery for home solar power array, plug-in capabilities to run electrical tools or whatever, ramp tailgate, mid gate Yeahno mid gateā€¦etc, etcā€¦.however I suspect we really have no idea what to expect with pricing, upgrade options, standard equipment until we get the first few production models delivered.
Just my 2 cent opinion.
Typically, what Tesla releases is pretty close to what they present on launch. Most of what you list are launch features. Even pricing has almost always been in line with launch pricing eventually.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I just read where a guy posted that two of his friends worked on the Cybertruck during the development period.

He didn't reveal any Cybertruck inside info but did state that affordability and manufacturing simplicity were some of the key goals for the development team. He also stated that they spent a considerable amount of time durability testing the super hard SS exterior.

Last edited:

jqattan56

First Name
Jamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanical Design Cosultant
Country flag
Just curious, has anyone heard what the ā€˜expectedā€™ price range will be? I placed my order like most of us the 2nd day of when announced in 2019. Back then they listed the ā€˜priceā€™ for a dual motor around $50k. Since they will be producing the ā€˜truā€™ motor first, I donā€™t mind upgrading, I would just like to know the expected price range. Thanks
As long as they are coming between 77K to 80K for tri-motor, with added 7K for FSD. to qualify for Tax refund. Will tax credit become credit at point of purchase?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As long as they are coming between 77K to 80K for tri-motor, with added 7K for FSD. to qualify for Tax refund. Will tax credit become credit at point of purchase?
I do not think so....it is what it says " Tax Credit"....not "Rebate".......It would be nice if it were a rebate because you get rate MONEY on the spot and reduce the sales price.......The TAX CREDIT come off of you tax bill at the end of the year, but the stipulation is that your tax liability must be equal to or greater than the tax credit.....For example: you owe $15,000 in federal tax at the end of the year.......you get the full $7,500 in TAX Credit". Now your tax bill is only $7,500.....and you will get a $7.500 refund.....

However, if your tax liability is only $3,500, you would apply the $7.500 to your tax bill......so you owe no tax and will get back $3,500 only; you lose the $4,000 leftover.......and I do not believe it can carry over to the next year........hope this helps

jqattan56

First Name
Jamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanical Design Cosultant
Country flag
I do not think so....it is what it says " Tax Credit"....not "Rebate".......It would be nice if it were a rebate because you get rate MONEY on the spot and reduce the sales price.......The TAX CREDIT come off of you tax bill at the end of the year, but the stipulation is that your tax liability must be equal to or greater than the tax credit.....For example: you owe $15,000 in federal tax at the end of the year.......you get the full $7,500 in TAX Credit". Now your tax bill is only $7,500.....and you will get a $7.500 refund.....

However, if your tax liability is only $3,500, you would apply the $7.500 to your tax bill......so you owe no tax and will get back $3,500 only; you lose the $4,000 leftover.......and I do not believe it can carry over to the next year........hope this helps
Many thanks. I am retired design engineer, and never paid more than 25K for a car, will sell all my Tesla stocks to get into the CT tri-motor. Have very low tax bill, what then?
Sponsored