Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
For hard wired you can do the full 48. But for a plug, you are not supposed to charge above 80% of the current rating. So 40A would be maximum safe current on a nema 14-50.
Even hardwired a Tesla Wall Connector won’t go over 48 with a 60-amp breaker.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I thought This battery need to be balanced to charge 100% at least once a month ,That why I heard from service
Never heard that, not for an NMC chemistry. I believe that Tesla still says to only charge to 80% for daily use and only to 100% for trips.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Never heard that, not for an NMC chemistry. I believe that Tesla still says to only charge to 80% for daily use and only to 100% for trips.
Well, it's normal for any poly metal lithium battery. Battery cells (of all types) slowly age slightly differently, and balancing them helps lower this variation in a pack.

If you do enough trips, you never need to do it otherwise. But if you don't do enough trips, you should make sure to stretch the legs of your battery regularly.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Well, it's normal for any poly metal lithium battery. Battery cells (of all types) slowly age slightly differently, and balancing them helps lower this variation in a pack.

If you do enough trips, you never need to do it otherwise. But if you don't do enough trips, you should make sure to stretch the legs of your battery regularly.

-Crissa
There was a paper that was reviewed by one of the YouTubers last year that showed the optimum charge range to maximize battery life was something like 25%-65%, but said that Tesla’s recommendation provided a reasonable lifetime. It has been shown that supercharging isn’t as damaging to batteries as earlier thought, but I have not seen anywhere that regularly charging to 100% was good, let alone recommended. We charge 20%-80% on our M3/Y and hope for the best.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There was a paper that was reviewed by one of the YouTubers last year that showed the optimum charge range to maximize battery life was something like 25%-65%, but said that Tesla’s recommendation provided a reasonable lifetime. It has been shown that supercharging isn’t as damaging to batteries as earlier thought, but I have not seen anywhere that regularly charging to 100% was good, let alone recommended. We charge 20%-80% on our M3/Y and hope for the best.
That is:
  • Irrelevant to cell balancing. Balancing can be balanced at the top, bottom, or a specific level.
  • The study didn't chart it based upon kWh throughput. A battery that is expended from 100% to 0% has done 2x as much work in kWh as one discharged from 75% to 25%.
  • The study was over thousands of charge cycles.
  • Monthly is regularly but it's also... Not every time. Tesla also recommends you plug in every day so that the vehicle uses shore power to precondition and to run the computers during update and and data syncing.
You're basically not asking the right question. Cell balancing is important. If they're doing cell balancing at top and bottom, then you want to - once every month or so - make sure that happens. That's not the same as charging to 100% every time.

-Crissa

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Ah…I miss the days when I had seperate 100A Service on a meter and PG&E Time-of-Use plan to my house/garage for my 2013 P85+ with dual on-board chargers getting 80A and adding 59 miles of range per hour of charge……Just sold my 2017 Model 3 in January in prep for CT and to be honest, I just trickle charged it at 5A to about 50% of the battery’s capacity every time I came home. So what if it took 8 hours? (my use case allowed for it, yours might not). 50% batt cap was plenty for driving around Albuquerque. I will admit I charged to a higher percentage back in 2013 when I had range anxiety and good reason for it as the SC network wasn’t what it is today and BEVs were very new tech. :p
i still have my 2017 S with dual chargers, nice to have a backup in case the onboard charger dies someday :p lol and the 80a charging is nice when you have a busy day and dont want to go to a SC

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
I really wish they would have brought 80a back with CT

Merle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS, 4Runner, Tundra, Lexus, R1200GSA, KTM, etc.
Country flag
Looks like new EV owners who are catching up to what Tesla owners have gone through to learn over the years.

14-50 is a combination of plug and charge rate. The 50A is the most burst rate of amperage the outlet is suppose to take, supposedly based upon the circuit breaker which is based upon the wiring that out protects.

Code and safety let you take a 55A wiring setup and “round up” to a 60A breaker. Wiring is supposed to be able to handle the full load for a limited amount of time (but code is unclear if that means 2 hours or 4).

So unless you know what that outlet (50A) is connected to (6AWG) and the breaker (50A) then try to keep it at 80% of the limits especially of you are going over 2 hours. That means you do not run it at 48 A but 40A maximum.

Why? It is about heat dissipation. The smaller the wire, the higher the resistance and the higher the resistance, the more heat which is generated when you pass a current through. Come close or exceed the ampacity of a wire, and you are fine for a finite duration. But the plastic insulation has gone through a cycle of heating and cooling. It’s plastic so it will become brittle and with time, fall apart. Once it falls apart, you can have wires in contact. The same can often be said of the connectors (wire nuts or Wago for smaller wires) and even the outlets themselves (receptacles and plugs). The circuit breakers aren’t fast-trip so can let a 55 surge through a 50A but it will trip once it heats up. You can easily swap out a circuit breaker but you won’t see the wiring in the walls nor conduits fail until it’s too late.

Last edited:

MajorVictory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Why would a dual motor model 3 get over 30 mi/hr charge rate at home and the cybertruck a lower rate? All else equal.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Why would a dual motor model 3 get over 30 mi/hr charge rate at home and the cybertruck a lower rate?
Because miles per hour isn't a real thing. You are charging at some number of kW. It takes more power to push a cybertruck a mile than a model 3. So if you're charging at 11.5kW (the max AC charging rate for all current teslas), that will get you 44 miles per hour in a model 3 while it only gets you 27 miles per hour in a cybertruck.

It's the same amount of power, just a bigger battery pack and less efficient vehicle.
Sponsored