9000T Cybertruck GigaPress Open House Pictures

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Ok so how exactly does this thing work? I see one motor that spins four linked gears...what are those gears doing exactly? How does the press close? I assume the red part is where the molten metal is injected in once the press is closed over a mold?

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Ok so how exactly does this thing work? I see one motor that spins four linked gears...what are those gears doing exactly? How does the press close? I assume the red part is where the molten metal is injected in once the press is closed over a mold?
Yes, basically injection mold of motel steel. Lots of videos on Youtube from Idra who makes it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, basically injection mold of molten steel aluminum. Lots of videos on Youtube from Idra who makes it.
Fixed.

Also, the injection plata do go inside that red part and are cryogenically cooled in a new process which Tesla has not revealed yet but a new set of tanks were on display at the Cyber Rodeo.

-Crissa

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
anybody have any idea what this thing cost?

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Superman would have to be seriously on top of his game, to hold back that GigaPress!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
65k and up. Unofficial. Guesstimate.
65k and up. Unofficial. Guesstimate.
I doubt very much anywhere close to $64K. They will probably charge customer $64K for just one of the installation techs.

I am sure for a 6t ot 9t giga press you will need to add many zeros.

IDRA CEO says that giga press development took 3 years and cost 1.8 million euros ($1.97 million).

This is not a high volume product where you make even several thousands a year. They might make 20-100 yearly.

Thirty years ago the company I worked for installed a huge CNC machine that would be considered toddler size ( 10 foot below ground , 8 foot above ground) compared to the giga press and our CNC machine cost $1 million.

Each gig press likely costs minimum of several 10s of millions of dollars each.

Last edited:

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
I doubt very much anywhere close to $64K. They will probably charge customer $64K for just one of the installation techs.

IDRA CEO says that giga press development took 3 years and cost 1.8 million euros ($1.97 million).

This is not a high volume product where you make even several thousands a year. They might make 20-100 yearly.

Thirty years ago the company I worked for installed a huge CNC machine that would be considered toddler size ( 10 foot below ground , 8 foot above ground) compared to the giga press and our CNC machine cost $1 million.

probably 100s of millions, look
what a new fighter jet cost

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Based on the look of the Idra General Managers office and suit, i'd say they cost somewhere in the range of Fancy Pants to outright Snooty.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag

I was talking about the cost of the truck, not the press. ? The PRESS... That things 80-100 million I'd bet.