Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
RE Midgate

Although I'd really like to see a midgate I'm not sure how they will manage to do it with the current mid wall design. The problem is that the CT 6.5ft bed is only so on the bed level itself, and it tapers back into the bed area to accommodate the rear seat backrest recline angle. Technically it's only a 6ft bed at 1ft over the bed, which is also an issue for tall people sleeping on a higher mattress. Total height under the vault cover at the midwall is around 3ft.

The window is also another issue in that there is no room underneath the current midwall design to slide the window down. For reference the window is only 11-12" (30cm) high so it wouldn't work as a crawl through, and the area that is parallel to the window underneath is only 7". So unless they slope the rear window to match the midwall incline area the window will not have any space to wind down into. If they do have a opening in the midwall, that would also allow an after market addition of some rearwards facing seats in the vault...if you needed them.

That leaves another problem with the current midwall design. If it folds over forwards like it is now it's also not flat area to extend the bed. It would have to be straight instead of the z shape, but that also shaves off some length at the bed height when up. There's also a problem with load retention when the midgate is folded down. For that they might need to foldup the rear seat bottom to create a retention wall behind the front seats.

Maybe foldup rear seats like in the F150s would be easier overall to add storage space in the cab, and together with lights in the top of the rear gate, so when it's folded over theres still rear light, might be an easier way to extend the bed length for those occasions you need the extra bed length. Which is what it looks like they're doing in the CT prototype:

Cybertruck-Rear-Seat-Latch.jpg

In a ideal world the whole cab would shuffle forwards a bit and allow for a simpler straight mid wall with wind down window that could also then fold forward (midgate) on top of the read seats backrests. The limitation there is to keep the head height for the rear passengers right, the front passenger have ample headroom. From what I can tell without having exact rear seat dimensions, the rear seat bottom will need to lower onto the cab floor in order for the backrest to fold over and be flush with the bed height.

So to get a foldover midgate the midwall needs a significant redesign from the prototype, which is not out of the question, but maybe there is not enough motivation to so if some simpler mechanical changes will add versatility with minimal cost. We also haven't had any recent bed photos. A middle passthru hatch might be easier to accomplish but is not a really useful addition, as the bed is already long enough for skis etc.

As for using the midwall window for HVAC for the vault area, I think its much easier and effective to duct through the HVAC to the rear vault and in particular it could then be independently temperature controlled, without having to deal with any NVH leaking in from the rear into the cabin.

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Exterior-Bed-Rail-and-Rear-Window.jpg
I wish for it to be different, but can't argue with the logic especially the point about NVH. The solid wall would seem to be a lot easier to seal, one less point of failure etc. although a sliding window seems like less of a problem in that regard, with on where for it to go, it's problematic as you said.

It will feel a lot more useful as a camper IMO if there is a pass through of some kind, or a window that opens. A couple of people in the bed wouldn't leave a lot of space for luggage.

Still, it's not the end of the world if there is no pass through, but no A/C would make it a lot less appealing.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yeah I plan to get a nice Duvet as a bed cover for the bed i keep in my bed under my bed cover.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I wish for it to be different, but can't argue with the logic especially the point about NVH. The solid wall would seem to be a lot easier to seal, one less point of failure etc. although a sliding window seems like less of a problem in that regard, with on where for it to go, it's problematic as you said.

It will feel a lot more useful as a camper IMO if there is a pass through of some kind, or a window that opens. A couple of people in the bed wouldn't leave a lot of space for luggage.

Still, it's not the end of the world if there is no pass through, but no A/C would make it a lot less appealing.
It really comes down to how you use it as a RV and how many people are traveling in it. It would be good to climb through, or at least be able to pass thru at least. But with the popup roof design I've designed, that covers the whole rear roof and vault area, you can actually get a 4.5ft wide bed upstairs and a 4ft wide bed downstairs, plus a 5.5ft long bed under the fold up rear seat. So technically 4 adults, or 2 adults and 3 kids would work.

As for luggage we should see around 3-400l of volume in the frunk (it could be even more depending how much space the HVAC takes up), so same as a VW Golf boot, and then still some more under bed storage and some more in the wings. Also there will be some space under the rear bench according to the picture I posted. So probably like 700l for luggage without using the bed, which means that can be configured as a RV.

What I would like to see is that the front grill lifts up with the frunk hood. Like that you could have a front slideout draw with maybe some sort of the kitchen on it.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Until those 3 pm daily t-storms roll in... :)

From one (former) front range resident to another, make sure you understand if those panels are hail safe before choosing that option. You know what I mean....
Fair statement. Both my wife's Explorer and my F150 were in the parking lot May of last year when the hail rolled in and caused about $3k in damage to my truck (I took the check and left the dents) and about $12k in damage to her Explorer (we got it fixed).

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As for luggage we should see around 3-400l of volume in the frunk (it could be even more depending how much space the HVAC takes up), so same as a VW Golf boot
I'm seeing that as a little unrealistic to be as big as a VW golf trunk. I'm hoping for a lot of frunk room but at the same time, if you look at the size of any other Tesla hood, it's pretty big but obviously the frunk space doesn't get all that room as there are a lot of components under it.

The Cybertruck frunk will be smaller than the Ford Lightning frunk I'm guessing it'll probably be roughly half, maybe a little more space than the lightning frunk. It just comes down to the fact that Tesla went with a smaller frunk to have a large cab and bed compared to the lightning.

I'm just hoping that the storage is deep and has a drain hole so I can fill it with ice like the Mach-E.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'm seeing that as a little unrealistic to be as big as a VW golf trunk. I'm hoping for a lot of frunk room but at the same time, if you look at the size of any other Tesla hood, it's pretty big but obviously the frunk space doesn't get all that room as there are a lot of components under it.

The Cybertruck frunk will be smaller than the Ford Lightning frunk I'm guessing it'll probably be roughly half, maybe a little more space than the lightning frunk. It just comes down to the fact that Tesla went with a smaller frunk to have a large cab and bed compared to the lightning.

I'm just hoping that the storage is deep and has a drain hole so I can fill it with ice like the Mach-E.
According to my CAD drawings theres about 2000l in front of the cab firewall excluding the front motor drivtrain and wheel arches etc. In comparison the vault is around 3000l. 3-400l might be on the low side, but is also about the same as the lighting and a golf boot (hatchback). It will be much bigger than any other tesla. The volume under the windscreen/dash is huge and big enough for all the other gear to go essentially leaving everything under the hood as a frunk. This is a big vehicle.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
According to my CAD drawings theres about 2000l in front of the cab firewall excluding the front motor drivtrain and wheel arches etc. In comparison the vault is around 3000l. 3-400l might be on the low side, but is also about the same as the lighting and a golf boot (hatchback). It will be much bigger than any other tesla. The volume under the windscreen/dash is huge and big enough for all the other gear to go essentially leaving everything under the hood as a frunk. This is a big vehicle.
I agree it's a big vehicle but I have a hard time believeing that the frunk is 66.6% of the size of the vault cargo capacity and that it would be the same size as the for lightning which went with a standard truck hood style and took a foot off the bed. I don't think the lightning will have an interior that is much larger than the Cybertruck, I fully expect the Cybertruck cab to match or exceed the size of the lightning. So that leave the lightning with more additional space for a frunk than the Cybertruck, not that I'm complaining, I think the size of the frunk will be fine.

Also when we look at under the windshield. The dash is quite large but at the same time they don't have a center console. The area behind the center console has been used for compenents in other Tesla models. The Cybertruck instead put in a ton of leg room since it'll have a middle front seat.

One thing I will definitely agree with is that it will be bigger than any other Tesla frunk. It will definitely have more verticle height. I just don't really see it having as much space as the lightning or a trunk of a VW golf.

I'll just be happy if I can fit at least two carry on bags and maybe a small backpack in there with it.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
It really comes down to how you use it as a RV and how many people are traveling in it. It would be good to climb through, or at least be able to pass thru at least. But with the popup roof design I've designed, that covers the whole rear roof and vault area, you can actually get a 4.5ft wide bed upstairs and a 4ft wide bed downstairs, plus a 5.5ft long bed under the fold up rear seat. So technically 4 adults, or 2 adults and 3 kids would work.

As for luggage we should see around 3-400l of volume in the frunk (it could be even more depending how much space the HVAC takes up), so same as a VW Golf boot, and then still some more under bed storage and some more in the wings. Also there will be some space under the rear bench according to the picture I posted. So probably like 700l for luggage without using the bed, which means that can be configured as a RV.

What I would like to see is that the front grill lifts up with the frunk hood. Like that you could have a front slideout draw with maybe some sort of the kitchen on it.
Well, I'm just planning on sleeping in the bed for now. I have to see how much camping I do that way and how much my kids like it. I have to see if there is any good spots in my area (or within say half a day's drive). If it's something I take up, might consider investing in some accessories that you mention. I'm thinking sleep in the bed, erect a covered eating area, sounds fairly comfortable. I'm not unfamiliar with camping myself, did lots as a kid, teen and young adult, but my kids have never been!

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I agree it's a big vehicle but I have a hard time believeing that the frunk is 66.6% of the size of the vault cargo capacity and that it would be the same size as the for lightning which went with a standard truck hood style and took a foot off the bed. I don't think the lightning will have an interior that is much larger than the Cybertruck, I fully expect the Cybertruck cab to match or exceed the size of the lightning. So that leave the lightning with more additional space for a frunk than the Cybertruck, not that I'm complaining, I think the size of the frunk will be fine.

Also when we look at under the windshield. The dash is quite large but at the same time they don't have a center console. The area behind the center console has been used for compenents in other Tesla models. The Cybertruck instead put in a ton of leg room since it'll have a middle front seat.

One thing I will definitely agree with is that it will be bigger than any other Tesla frunk. It will definitely have more verticle height. I just don't really see it having as much space as the lightning or a trunk of a VW golf.

I'll just be happy if I can fit at least two carry on bags and maybe a small backpack in there with it.
I just hope I can fit a nice size Yeti cooler in it. That way when I haul bulky stuff in the bed, the Yeti is in an easily accessible location.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
For reference a Model X frunk is 100l, so I'd expect the CT frunk to be 300l at least otherwise their packaging sucks. Note the peripheral systems won't be much bigger than the plaids, but CT has more space (1700l) without the frunk etc to put it.

For ref:
F150 lightning frunk: 400l
VW Golf boot: 380l

Visually the CT has a shorter front hood, but this is only due to the extreme rake of the front windscreen that covers half of the "front bonnet" area. The firewall to the cabin is about half way down the CT dashboard. No point it making it further forward because the front passengers legs can't reach it there anyway. Have a look where the pedals are. A kid could sleep on the dash.... ;-)

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? 1624554841843

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wouldn't think the packaging sucks if they don't have some massive frunk space for the Cybertruck. Bigger would be nice and I don't see any reason that it won't be bigger, but I also don't think it's all that important to match the size of the lightning frunk.

The biggest question I would ask myself as an engineer is what is it going to be used for. I don't know if ford really thinks they need space for two sets of golf clubs or if they just wanted the lightning to look like any other f150, my guess is the latter.

I would be interested in what most people would use it for. Personally I plan to use it for groceries, shopping, keeping my jacket if it's going to rain, maybe an umbrella, and probably my gym bag.
I'll be really happy if it turns out bigger than I expect, I'm just not going to really expect a frunk as big as the lightning.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I wouldn't think the packaging sucks if they don't have some massive frunk space for the Cybertruck. Bigger would be nice and I don't see any reason that it won't be bigger, but I also don't think it's all that important to match the size of the lightning frunk.

The biggest question I would ask myself as an engineer is what is it going to be used for. I don't know if ford really thinks they need space for two sets of golf clubs or if they just wanted the lightning to look like any other f150, my guess is the latter.

I would be interested in what most people would use it for. Personally I plan to use it for groceries, shopping, keeping my jacket if it's going to rain, maybe an umbrella, and probably my gym bag.
I'll be really happy if it turns out bigger than I expect, I'm just not going to really expect a frunk as big as the lightning.
Totally agree, the Lightning design has more to do with maintaining familiarity with the Ford base than any other considerations. As you said the TALL front in and large frunk space is a byproduct of that.
Having said that, my son and I golf about once a week and my Toyota Avalon trunk is where we store our golf gear. Occasionally we have to take stuff out for other outings/ going to the beach. But having a frunk big enough to store our golf gear would be nice. The Cybertruck has lots of storage options like under the bed, and I'd prefer a lower hood with the design based on functionality.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's so many reasons why this is a bad idea, I'm sorry my sarcasm wasn't clear enough.
I'm not going to do it, but 'so many reasons' seems to be 'the load would get dirty' and 'what if you bounced the truck' which, well, that applies to any add-on or even putting something in the bed. Bouncing the truck is bad on loads!

-Crissa

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Totally agree, the Lightning design has more to do with maintaining familiarity with the Ford base than any other considerations. As you said the TALL front in and large frunk space is a byproduct of that.
Having said that, my son and I golf about once a week and my Toyota Avalon trunk is where we store our golf gear. Occasionally we have to take stuff out for other outings/ going to the beach. But having a frunk big enough to store our golf gear would be nice. The Cybertruck has lots of storage options like under the bed, and I'd prefer a lower hood with the design based on functionality.
I'm waiting for the prankster who packs 20+ golf bags in the bed and pulls up next a Lightning
Sponsored