Any updates?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm not going to do it, but 'so many reasons' seems to be 'the load would get dirty' and 'what if you bounced the truck' which, well, that applies to any add-on or even putting something in the bed. Bouncing the truck is bad on loads!

-Crissa
Carrying around contractor materials was already mentioned, as was the fact that if anything is on the freeway you're more likely to hit it with something hanging under your truck. You could graze it potentially on any bit of uneven pavement, the list really goes on. It's intrinsically dangerous to carry anything on the freeway, it's even more intrinsically dangerous to carry it in a variable place that can contract and will get closer to the pavement. Imagine if you high point going through a construction zone, or just drive over a bump that was a little larger than you thought it was. It doesn't make any sense to carry things under a vehicle when you can just use a roof rack or, and hear me out with this one, a bed that has a rolling cover to go over it.

It blows my mind that this has become a discussion in this thread, it's not done because it's a bad idea. Ground clearance is incredibly important for a truck, especially if you're going to use it as a truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Ground clearance is so important to trucks. They stop working the moment that ground clearance goes away!
C2B98F0A-FA93-4615-81B5-378377C397CC.jpeg

-Crissa
Every single one of those trucks looks completely ridiculous and useless. Not a single one of those is intended to be used as a truck, those are status symbols.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I wouldn't think the packaging sucks if they don't have some massive frunk space for the Cybertruck. Bigger would be nice and I don't see any reason that it won't be bigger, but I also don't think it's all that important to match the size of the lightning frunk.
I don't really care about the lightning frunk comparison either, but I do care about decent engineering and packaging.

The more customer usable volume the better, as this adds value to the customer and that in return increases sales. Nothing worse than "wasted" space on a vehicle that is critically engineered around reducing aero to achieve the best range for the least amount of batteries. You couldn't do anything worse to this vehicle than put a rack on it for more storage. (bar towing a trailer - but there's some different aero solutions for that)

This is what 400l (14cbft) between the front wheel wells (so it can steer) looks like:

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? CT Frunk 400l

Note the front door is 1100mm wide, which according to my previous actual image of the front door open, means that if the front seat backrest is in line with the b pillar, even 7ft passenger would not be able to reach the front of the door with their toes. Everything in front of the door is space for peripherals. Like this you still have 300l in front of the frunk for radiators behind the grill and bumper, and another 500l or so under frunk for more stuff, without even using the space inbetween the frunk and the cabin firewall, and disregarding the space around the wheel wells. There is so much space I would consider a small frunk poor packaging.

BTW there was a reddit post about it being 420l with an additional compartment that was 69l.

What I'd like to see is a air conditioned frunk too while we are at it. Could use the whole thing as a cooler :cool:

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm still going with 'I hope you're right' because it would be great to somehow have the same size frunk as the lightning with a larger bed and huge cab. But a picture with a theoretical box of space that could be available isn't going to convince me.

I would find it much more believeable for the single motor to have a much larger frunk, just like the single motor Model S had an additional crevice of space in the frunk compared to the dual motor.

I am not going to be upset at all if I am eventually shown to be wrong when the Cybertruck is revealed, but I've watched teardown videos for all Tesla models and while Telsa is reducing the size of the 12v and I haven't seen their new thermal management system, i'm just going to be going off of what I have seen and how I can compare it to the the Cybertruck. But once again, I really do hope I'm wrong.

As for air conditioning, it would be nice to keep groceries cool on the drive home. I would personally just hope for a drain hole so I can fill it up with ice. it wouldn't be as insulated as a proper cooler and might not last a full weekend camping trip, but i'm sure it'll keep everything ice cold for a barbecue or trip to the beach.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'm still going with 'I hope you're right' because it would be great to somehow have the same size frunk as the lightning with a larger bed and huge cab. But a picture with a theoretical box of space that could be available isn't going to convince me.

I would find it much more believeable for the single motor to have a much larger frunk, just like the single motor Model S had an additional crevice of space in the frunk compared to the dual motor.

I am not going to be upset at all if I am eventually shown to be wrong when the Cybertruck is revealed, but I've watched teardown videos for all Tesla models and while Telsa is reducing the size of the 12v and I haven't seen their new thermal management system, i'm just going to be going off of what I have seen and how I can compare it to the the Cybertruck. But once again, I really do hope I'm wrong.

As for air conditioning, it would be nice to keep groceries cool on the drive home. I would personally just hope for a drain hole so I can fill it up with ice. it wouldn't be as insulated as a proper cooler and might not last a full weekend camping trip, but I'm sure it'll keep everything ice cold for a barbecue or trip to the beach.
Well that's fine by me, but at least you can see just how big the front area of the CT is, especially how much space there is under the dash. BTW I think you might have the lightning frunk space the wrong way around...if anything the lightning is copying the CT 420l frunk space as it was released first, and I'm sure Ford went all over the dimensions to make theirs is competitive.

If you're interested I can add the Model S drivetrain upfront. But be warned it's tiny. Half the size of the CT frunk shown. I was thinking at one point they might throw the spare in the frunk because there was so much space, but I don't think they will. One of the reasons we're likely not to see a spare is just the sheer weight of a 35" wheel, in particular trying to manhandle that beast in and out of it's storage space.

As for turning the frunk into a cooler I'm sure someone will come up with a insulated molded sleeve that will slide right in. It would be nicer to have A/C in there tho rather than ice.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well that's fine by me, but at least you can see just how big the front area of the CT is, especially how much space there is under the dash. BTW I think you might have the lightning frunk space the wrong way around...if anything the lightning is copying the CT 420l frunk space as it was released first, and I'm sure Ford went all over the dimensions to make theirs is competitive.

If you're interested I can add the Model S drivetrain upfront. But be warned it's tiny. Half the size of the CT frunk shown. I was thinking at one point they might throw the spare in the frunk because there was so much space, but I don't think they will. One of the reasons we're likely not to see a spare is just the sheer weight of a 35" wheel, in particular trying to manhandle that beast in and out of it's storage space.
I don't understand your reasoning at all for Ford trying to copy the size of the CT frunk. The CT frunk was never shown more than a really bad photo at a really bad angle that gave no information other than the fact that it has a frunk. The Lightning frunk is almost certainly the size that it is to make the lightning the same design as other F150s. I would think Ford is doing this so they can use the same parts can try to appeal to the current F150 owners.

I'm also not denying that the Cybertruck has a large area at the front of the vehicle that a frunk could go in, I'm merely stating that there are a lot of other components going in this area and that it might be realistic to think that with the front end being shorter overall, that there might not be as much capacity as the lightning. Especially since they are the same length, will have similar sized cabins based on current photos, while the Cybertruck has a longer bed and the Lightning has a longer front end.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As for turning the frunk into a cooler I'm sure someone will come up with a insulated molded sleeve that will slide right in. It would be nicer to have A/C in there tho rather than ice.
An insulated sleeve will actually be a great aftermarket product. While I personally would probably not use AC in the frunk if it was available, I would love an insulated sleeve to help keep the ice from melting on a camping trip. I wouldn't expect the ice to stay frozen for more than a day on a hot day without an insulated sleeve, but i've had ice in a cooler for about 2-3 days while camping. So if i can do that on a camping trip, it completely saves me from needing a cooler at all.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag

As for air conditioning, it would be nice to keep groceries cool on the drive home. I would personally just hope for a drain hole so I can fill it up with ice. it wouldn't be as insulated as a proper cooler and might not last a full weekend camping trip, but i'm sure it'll keep everything ice cold for a barbecue or trip to the beach.
It would be nice if Elon and the people who make the Yeti cooler could get together and either make the frunk to fit a Yeti model or make a Yeti to fit the frunk.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It would be nice if Elon and the people who make the Yeti cooler could get together and either make the frunk to fit a Yeti model or make a Yeti to fit the frunk.
I don't think Tesla would make the frunk specifically to fit one specific brand of cooler. But any company could design a cooler to perfectly fit into the frunk of whatever vehicle they want.

However I think a insulated sleeve or even just an insulated bag, with hopefully a plug at the bottom to drain into a frunk that has a drain hole, would probably work better. If you have a cooler, it would be nice to fit in the frunk but it will also work just as effectively if it is secured in the bed. The nice thing about a possible sleeve for the frunk is that you save the space that a cooler would take up. A sleeve could just be rolled up and even put into the sail storage.

There is also the option to buy electric coolers that can plug into the outlets in the bed, i'm even considering getting one for my work trips. There are some that can actually work as even a travel freezer. I am a very cheap man when it comes to traveling for work and if I could just have a cheap microwave and some frozen meals from my wife when I am sent away for a few days, I would be very happy to pocket my food and accommodations allowance from work.

HugeinChina

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT3 reservation
Occupation
Data professional
Country flag
Lowered trucks are no longer functioning trucks. I agree that clearance is important to traditional truck usage. Most of the lowered trucks I have seen were used primarily for stereo competitions and racing, not hauling or camping. My $.02

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

I wonder if someone could develop an insulated liner, maybe even something that partitioned the space. A little dry ice, ice in an insulated liner and you'd have cooler good for a few days of camping I think.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
An insulated sleeve will actually be a great aftermarket product. While I personally would probably not use AC in the frunk if it was available, I would love an insulated sleeve to help keep the ice from melting on a camping trip. I wouldn't expect the ice to stay frozen for more than a day on a hot day without an insulated sleeve, but i've had ice in a cooler for about 2-3 days while camping. So if i can do that on a camping trip, it completely saves me from needing a cooler at all.
Great minds... lol

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don't understand your reasoning at all for Ford trying to copy the size of the CT frunk. The CT frunk was never shown more than a really bad photo at a really bad angle that gave no information other than the fact that it has a frunk. The Lightning frunk is almost certainly the size that it is to make the lightning the same design as other F150s. I would think Ford is doing this so they can use the same parts can try to appeal to the current F150 owners.

I'm also not denying that the Cybertruck has a large area at the front of the vehicle that a frunk could go in, I'm merely stating that there are a lot of other components going in this area and that it might be realistic to think that with the front end being shorter overall, that there might not be as much capacity as the lightning. Especially since they are the same length, will have similar sized cabins based on current photos, while the Cybertruck has a longer bed and the Lightning has a longer front end.

So I'm not sure what "junk" you still think needs to go in the front of the cybertruck. It's not an ICE. I've clearly labeled and allowed for most of the big items, in particular how the cabin area does not intrude past the front door hinge. If you would have made the effort of recreating the CT from scratch in CAD you probably appreciate just how much space there is in the front, and how that compares to a MX, which seats just as many people. There won't be any more tech in it than a MX, in fact it will likely be less now with the updated modular Plaid driveline and HVAC that is smaller and cheaper. And yet all that doesn't fit in a much larger volume CT?

As for "knowing" how big the CT frunk is I'm sure Ford engineers are more adept in creating a CT facsimile than I, and would not be doing it for fun, but for work, to be competitive so they can sell vehicles. As previously, the reality is that the CT windscreen has much more rake than the F150 windscreen as below. Hence it has space for a big frunk despite all the junk. The bonnet is essentially the same size but tucked under the windscreen. ;)

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? 1624632061731

P.S. i don't think the 3% shrink eventuated according to the last EM tweet.
Sponsored

Last edited: