cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Design feedback for a residential garageable length shortened the form factor.
it’s funny because the CyberTruck is basically the same dimensions as the F-150 SuperCrew, and over on the Lightning forums there have been a few folks who are new to full-sized pickups learning that “fitting” with say 6” or less total to spare isn’t quite fitting enough

point being, the smaller CT isn’t going to be terribly garageable for many!

Back to the CT bed:

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 9D4BDD6F-36EF-4B46-8987-88288F0C4D70

from overhead, this picture for me emphasizes

(1) the apparent overhang of the roofline (noting the view of the bag seeming to indicate the overhang), and

(2) accounting for that overhang, the remaining box sure appears to be a bit more of the square-shape associated with 5.5’ beds than the rectangle associated with 6.5’ beds

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited E1B7CB85-D503-44A6-8B44-6BDEDD196496

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 7507062F-5895-4FDF-8257-A1E5B173091D
Sponsored

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Your case has merit, but the whole mid gate is inset.

We have seen other pics.. the thing in the bed is not laying flat.

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 1664272246633

Perhaps not full 6' 6" ..remains to be measured. But its more rectangle than square.
More Cybertruck than F150.

The CT bed IS also wider. We are guesstimating and rounding down.

My perception of 6' 6" bed is the length UNDER the tonneau.
Its possible it is 6'6" up to where the sail pillars start,.. a standard bed height.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Your case has merit, but the whole mid gate is inset.

yes, didn’t mean to confuse: in my prior posts I wondered first about the variant depths of the “nook” (the longest bit), the bulkhead (above the sloping portion of the wall), but then also whether or how much this seemingly overhanging roofline also encroached.

as for that final bit RE the roofline, was then in this last post noting only with the overhead photo that the aperture of the bed space appears to be nearer a square / 5’5” bed once the roofline is considered

so depending on load, there seems to be three depths (not counting the sloped portion of the bulkhead)

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 3B2434A3-96C4-4A9D-AEBD-4CDDFB7FD2B3

As for the overhead shot and the measurements of the aperture of the bed considering the overhanging roofline, of course if the CT bed is wider as you suggest, the seemingly familiar square could be a larger square

that just makes me interested in the idea that the CT bed is wider? The CT has the same width as a non-raptor F-150, and based only on eyeballs the bedsides on the CT don’t appear materially “thinner”

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
yes, didn’t mean to confuse: in my prior posts I wondered first about the variant depths of the “nook” (the longest bit), the bulkhead (above the sloping portion of the wall), but then also whether or how much this seemingly overhanging roofline also encroached.

as for that final bit RE the roofline, was then in this last post noting only with the overhead photo that the aperture of the bed space appears to be nearer a square / 5’5” bed once the roofline is considered

so depending on load, there seems to be three depths (not counting the sloped portion of the bulkhead)

3B2434A3-96C4-4A9D-AEBD-4CDDFB7FD2B3.jpeg

As for the overhead shot and the measurements of the aperture of the bed considering the overhanging roofline, of course if the CT bed is wider as you suggest, the seemingly familiar square could be a larger square

that just makes me interested in the idea that the CT bed is wider? The CT has the same width as a non-raptor F-150, and based only on eyeballs the bedsides on the CT don’t appear materially “thinner”
Don't forget the CT has no wheel arches in the bed, but the insides of the bed are angled wider to the floor to fit the wheel, between the bed and external wheel fender and plastic wheel arch. It also has higher angled sails, which means the outside bed width is less than a F150, not more.

If you are that desperate for some measurements did you want me to do a cutaway with some dimensions on CAD to get some proportions? Btw the easy way to get scale is to use the wheel dimensions that we know to get the wheel diameter, and then scale it from that. It would be 2-5% out accross the vehicle.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Any space gain from the angled front is negated by the fact that you have to place a 4x4 in front of the front tire on a majority of the two wheeled toys that would be transported in the back of this. The angled front wall is detrimental to transporting motorcycles in the bed because the front fender will smash against the angled front wall, more so than if it were just straight and you placed a 4x4 in front of the tire.
I have three street motorcycles (all Ducati), one dual-sport (Suzuki DR650) and one mountain bike, all of them have a front fender but none of the front fenders would contact the front of the bed, even if the front of the bed is angled as the prototypes have shown. That's because front fenders tend to not extend very far forward.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really hope it can be tailgate up with a motorcycle in it 😁. 6.5 ft would fit most bikes i believe.
Our F-150 has a 6 1/2 foot bed and none of my 4 motorcycles will fit in it with the tailgate closed. The tailgate might close on the DR650 parked corner to corner but there is no reason to close the tailgate anyway. Once the bike is secured properly, it cannot roll backwards anyway.

People who have not used pickup trucks extensively for hauling a wide variety of loads tend to think closing the tailgate is necessary so everything stays put, but a closed tailgate is not much security anyway. The load needs to be secured and unless it is packed tight (full) so the load cannot shift around, it needs to be secured anyway. It's cheap and easy to do so, it's simply a matter of knowing what you are doing. It's almost like securing a load is becoming a lost skill.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The tailgate might close on the DR650 parked corner to corner but there is no reason to close the tailgate anyway. Once the bike is secured properly, it cannot roll backwards anyway.

People who have not used pickup trucks extensively for hauling a wide variety of loads tend to think closing the tailgate is necessary so everything stays put, but a closed tailgate is not much security anyway.
But unlike a true 6.5’ bed, a dirt bik probably won’t and a golf cart prob will not fit with the tailgate up if the 6.5’ is measured from the bottom of the nook
to be fair, with dirt bikes at least the desire to put up the tailgate (I’d hope) isn’t about securing the bike so much as ease of securing ramps and other gear in the bed.

but full sized dirt bikes, I’d suspect including your DR650, can fit in a 6.5’ bed. In fact, two can

Tesla Cybertruck Bed length revisited 3A62E598-0B3C-4B40-9A48-B9CF74059D4A

with ramps, gear bags, etc., thrown in quick and haphazard since the tailgate’s up

Similar but slightly different story with golf carts - issue there about concern of weight on the tailgate, even if using supports (probably mostly only old, tiny golfcarts could fit with tailgate up - while newer 2/4 seaters at least get the wheels over the crease, give or take).

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
to be fair, with dirt bikes at least the desire to put up the tailgate (I’d hope) isn’t about securing the bike so much as ease of securing ramps and other gear in the bed.

but full sized dirt bikes, I’d suspect including your DR650, can fit in a 6.5’ bed. In fact, two can

3A62E598-0B3C-4B40-9A48-B9CF74059D4A.jpeg

with ramps, gear bags, etc., thrown in quick and haphazard since the tailgate’s up

Similar but slightly different story with golf carts - issue there about concern of weight on the tailgate, even if using supports (probably mostly only old, tiny golfcarts could fit with tailgate up - while newer 2/4 seaters at least get the wheels over the crease, give or take).
I think you could probably get three still if you put them next to eachother and the wheels turned like that. Otherwise reverse them in and let the front wheels dangle over the rear tailgate. I see that a lot for push bikes, I think someone even does a rack for it like thatfor shorter beds. Hardest part is pushing the bikes up. And then closing the tailgate....:whistle:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

3A62E598-0B3C-4B40-9A48-B9CF74059D4A.jpeg

The DR650 isn't a dirt bike, it's a dual sport and quite a bit longer than dirt bikes I'm familiar with. Yes, as I said, one would probably fit if put in corner to corner, I don't know how you could fit two. But it's not a problem if you leave the tailgate down and the weight on the tailgate is not an issue either because the contact patch will be at the end of the bed, not on the tailgate. Keeping other things in the bed is simply a matter of securing them - you don't need to close the tailgate to achieve that. The Cybertruck's tailgate ramp and the ability to squat should do away with the need for a ramp anyway.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The DR650 isn't a dirt bike, it's a dual sport and quite a bit longer than dirt bikes I'm familiar with. Yes, as I said, one would probably fit if put in corner to corner, I don't know how you could fit two. But it's not a problem if you leave the tailgate down and the weight on the tailgate is not an issue either because the contact patch will be at the end of the bed, not on the tailgate. Keeping other things in the bed is simply a matter of securing them - you don't need to close the tailgate to achieve that. The Cybertruck's tailgate ramp and the ability to squat should do away with the need for a ramp anyway.
qCybertruck tailgate breaks below horizontal to accommodate load ramps. Tailgates on pickups utilize detachable cable either side to drop below horizontal.

Problem with cable, bikes tied down jump with tailgate. Dimensional lumber jumps around. The 6’-5ish” cum 7’-6” effective bed length in Cybertruck in tail down configuration is treated as real - as in real useable pickup bed. Tesla need recognize and engineer that into Cybertruck First Principles.

First Principle would lock down(manual) CT tailgate horizontal. Small detail securing the extended bed length in lock position. BUT accidents happen.

My first job a tailgate broke down dock-loading a heavy lift. The front tires rode down the tailgate as it broke horizontal. This culminated in pushing the truck away from the dock wherein the operator was trapped between the dock and forklift.

My safety brain is flagging Cybertruck’s wider than traditional pickup bed space as a hell of a lot more usable. That goodness also that Cybertruck tailgates will see more use, new usage and that waves the attractive nuisance redflag.

IF it can be used — it will be and someone will use it wrong or in the wrong way it was intended as @cvalue is wont to say “ unknown unknown” ways. Risk analysis may pencil a manual horizontal tail stop too expensive? With compressed air, 900/240/110/44/12v onboard it sure can’t be argued that it is that hard to push a ram from beneath the floor out and into the tailgate. That would secure the bed as one continuous 7’-6” loadspace.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
qCybertruck tailgate breaks below horizontal to accommodate load ramps. Tailgates on pickups utilize detachable cable either side to drop below horizontal.

Problem with cable, bikes tied down jump with tailgate. Dimensional lumber jumps around. The 6’-5ish” cum 7’-6” effective bed length in Cybertruck in tail down configuration is treated as real - as in real useable pickup bed. Tesla need recognize and engineer that into Cybertruck First Principles.

First Principle would lock down(manual) CT tailgate horizontal. Small detail securing the extended bed length in lock position. BUT accidents happen.

My first job a tailgate broke down dock-loading a heavy lift. The front tires rode down the tailgate as it broke horizontal. This culminated in pushing the truck away from the dock wherein the operator was trapped between the dock and forklift.

My safety brain is flagging Cybertruck’s wider than traditional pickup bed space as a hell of a lot more usable. That goodness also that Cybertruck tailgates will see more use, new usage and that waves the attractive nuisance redflag.

IF it can be used — it will be and someone will use it wrong or in the wrong way it was intended as @cvalue is wont to say “ unknown unknown” ways. Risk analysis may pencil a manual horizontal tail stop too expensive? With compressed air, 900/240/110/44/12v onboard it sure can’t be argued that it is that hard to push a ram from beneath the floor out and into the tailgate. That would secure the bed as one continuous 7’-6” loadspace.
Motorcycles need to be tied down anyway. I've never had a problem with the tailgate or dimensional lumber jumping around. I bundle all the lumber together and since it is flat and stiff, the tailgate is not taking a significant amount of the load. I don't know what the tailgate weight rating of my F-150 is but judging from past experience, and also simply by looking at the hinges, cables and anchors, it will take a static ton without breaking a sweat. The tailgate itself would probably be the first thing to deform. But, yeah, it has to be loaded and driven within it's limits, obviously. Or maybe it's not so obvious to some people but that's just a nice way of saying people will do idiotic things.

There is no way to prevent owners from using their trucks dangerously. I've exceeded the rated load limit of my F-150 a number of times but there were other particulars that made it non-dangerous and didn't damage the truck. In most rural areas of the U.S., even law enforcement tends to be lenient with this sort of thing if they can see it's not a threat to the public.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Load limits realistically vary by speed and road conditions, anyhow.

Just be aware that in and emergency stop or if you're hit, you're liable if your load is thrown out. And loose things, even at low speed, and become missiles that'll kill other people who are in the wrong spot.

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-

3B2434A3-96C4-4A9D-AEBD-4CDDFB7FD2B3.jpeg

Odd that they decided to add that overhanging roofline, it wasn't there on the OG CT (as shown in the image above).

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Odd that they decided to add that overhanging roofline, it wasn't there on the OG CT (as shown in the image above).
It's been suggested it may be for weather ingress, structural stiffness, and/or keeping debris out of rolling tonneau.

-Crissa
Sponsored